I’ve been using MS Outlook for years and have come across diverse error messages. One of them, namely, “Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close” is of specific interest in this write-up. At times, MS Outlook just doesn’t want you to work! But it is not so funny when you’ve got a job to keep or a project to submit and so on! The worst part of this is that it does not reveal much additional information. This makes it pretty hard for the user.
But what causes this error or why is this an issue that we need to address? To delve into the depths of this question, we need to read on.
Causes of “Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close” Error
Multiple factors might lead to this error and cause trouble but here are those that are the major cause of the error:
- An attack by a Virus or a malware on the Outlook data files, might lead to “Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close”.
- Another cause of this Error is the corruption of PST or OST file header
- Application failure as a result of the add-ins that are installed in your system lately is another cause.
- Presence of Bugs in Outlook
- Insufficient system resource-allocation for Outlook
- Corrupt and/or defective emails or even its attachments might lead to this error.
Apart from these there are many other causes. However, there are also, multiple methods to resolve this issue, using either the manual or the mechanical methods.
Fixing the Error
Manual Method of rectifying the error is as follows:
Is Your Computer Working in Compatibility Mode?
- Go to “Start” and “outlook.exe”.
- Right Click.
- Click on “Properties”
- Switch to “Compatibility” tab
- Make sure that the “Run this program in compatibility mode for” is not checked.
- If this doesn’t work, you’ll need a different method.
Start Your Outlook in “Safe Mode” & Then Disable Responsible Add-ins
- Go to start menu and search “outlook.exe /safe”.
- Double-click to launch it in safe mode.
- Go to “File”> “Options”
- Click” Add-ins”>”Go”
- A new popup dialog box comes up, remove all of the external add-ins. Now, leave Microsoft add-ins only.
- Click ‘Remove’
- Start Outlook again.
If this doesn’t work, go forward to the next process.
Creating a New Outlook Profile
- Go to Start and then to Control Panel.
- Then go to Mail.
- In the new pop-up window, click “show profiles”
- In the new popup window click “Add”, select new profile and then click OK
- Restart Outlook
Using the ScanPST
If the issue isn’t abrogated, try this: Use the in-built tool namely, ScanPST to fix the above error. If you search for it on Windows Explorer, you might just find it. Take a look at this piece of instruction, and you’ll get the tool:
If all of this doesn’t work, you need a 3rd party software, Kernel being one of them. To find out more, do keep reading.
Kernel for PST Repair
How it Works
This is a brilliant tool that works with easy yet profound steps. The steps are explained here below:
- “Browse” to select a .PST file. Click ‘Next’.
(Note: Please read the window with details of the “Process Information”.)
- Click “Finish”.
- Select folder(s) from list to choose files from. And then select the Saving Options.
- Select the Output Type in which you wish would save the recovered data. Click Next.
- Again, Click Next (In case you make no changes).
- Select Split option if you need to and then attach prefix to store name if necessary. Click Next.
- Select Saving Path and click Ok.
- Click Finish.
- You’ll receive a confirmation when the process is complete.
Having said that if you still think why you might want to get this software, the following features might just convince you to get one:
- The Tool can recover emails from corrupt or damaged PST file(s).
- It can repair PST file(s) of large size and therefore the tool is free from size-limitation.
- The Software recovers data which are password-protected or encrypted.
- Recovers emails as well as folders, calendar events and so on.
- Kernel for PST Repair saves PST Files in various formats ranging from DBX, MBOX, MSG and EML to HTML, MHTML, RTF, TXT as well as PDF formats.
- Whether it’s Lotus Domino (IBM Domino), or Exchange Server; the software easily saves in just any of these, so here’s another benefit to get you to get this software.
- You can save PST files in mail clients such Gmail, Yahoo and more.
- Supports all versions of MS Outlook. So, whether it’s 2003/2002/2000/98/97 or 2019/2016/2013/2010/2007, you have nothing to be bothered about.
- As far as your Windows is concerned, it supports 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP/2000/98/NT/95
- The Software can also recover those files that have erstwhile been deleted and that too, restored in its original folder with ease.
Thus, when you get “Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close” Error, you need not be perturbed, Follow the manual steps. And if they don’t work to exterminate the error, don’t worry! Kernel is always by your side. Its Kernel for PST Repair is always there to give you a helping hand. And moreover, if you would like to use the trial version, you can easily download it from the website.