Read time: 6 minutes
Summary: Here, we will talk about a quite common VLC error, “Your Input Can’t be Opened.” This error mostly occurs while streaming YouTube videos.
VLC is a commonly used media player which is compatible with all audio/video file formats, local media files, and videos from YouTube and other related websites. ‘Your Input Can’t Be Opened’ error can also occur while streaming local videos because of which video file cannot be played.
There are several reasons for the existence of this error. Some of them are listed below:
- Incorrect video URL
- Broken video script
- VLC Player is not updated
- Corrupt Video File
- Altered VLC Settings
Fix the VLC Error- “Your Input Can’t Be Opened”
Let us begin with some troubleshooting ways to fix a common VLC error while streaming audio and videos.
- Update VLC Media Player
The first thing you must do before trying other methods is to update your VLC Player.
- Open your VLC Media Player
- Select Help and then click on Check for updates in VLC.
- The software will ask to install all the pending updates. Click Yes.
- Restart the video once VLC Player is updated.
- Reset VLC Settings
Resetting VLC Settings is the foremost solution for the error, ‘Your Input Can’t be Opened.’ The majority of video not playing issue is resolved with this solution only. Please note that all the VLC Settings will be reset to the point where it was installed for the first time.
- Open VLC Media Player
- Select the Tools option from the menu bar and then select Preferences. You can also press Ctrl+P to directly open the Preferences.
- Click on Reset Preference found at the lower left bottom of the Preferences Window.
- A dialogue box will appear, asking you to confirm your choice.
- Now Restart the video.
- Disable Windows Protection applications
It might happen that the URL of videos is blocked by Windows Defender Firewall to protect your system. In such a case, you need to disable the antivirus on your system.
- Search for antivirus software in your system from the Search bar. In this case we have Windows Defender Firewall.
- Select the Windows Defender Firewall and turn it off by clicking on it.
- Check the box, ‘Turn off the Windows Defender Firewall.’
- Click OK.
- Reinstall VLC Media Player
Before starting with the reinstallation, please note that you will lose all the previous settings and preferences.
- In the Control Panel, go to View by: Category at the top right corner. Under the Programs section, select Uninstall a Program.
- Search for VLC Media Player.
- Right click and select Uninstall/Change.
- Change the YouTube script
- Right click on VLC Player icon and select Open file location from the drop-down menu.
- Navigate to the folder, Program Files > VideoLAN > VLC > lua > playlist
- Right click on YouTube.luac and open with Notepad.
- Copy the new YouTube script code from GitHub VideoLan playlist and paste it to the Notepad file.
- Save the changes in Notepad.
- Now open the YouTube video in the VLC player.
If you are not able to avoid the issue, then a perfect solution is available. One of the best-known professional software is Kernel Video Repair Tool. This tool repairs all damaged, corrupted, truncated audio/videos in various formats. All the videos are repaired with a zero data loss guarantee.
This blog discusses one of common video errors in VLC Media Player. We have discussed some common troubleshooting methods that you can use to fix the error ‘Your Input File Can’t Be Opened.’ Manual methods can be used if the video issue is minor, but for serious file errors, you will have to use a professional tool. One such excellent tool is Kernel Video Repair which repairs corrupt MP4 video files without any limitations.