Free Methods To Repair Corrupt MP4 Video Files
Read time 13 minutes
You may like to capture well-spent moments, events, and celebrations on phone or video camera to enjoy later. Even on a lazy weekend, you tend to indulge in binge-watching your favorite movies. Clearly, you are using video formats more than we can imagine. Most of these videos are saved in .mp4 format. Any corruption in them can result in some trouble for all the users.
MP4 is a digital multimedia container format that is used to store video and audio, along with other data such as subtitles and still images. It is a widely accepted format for both downloading and streaming video and audio content. However, these files can become corrupt due to a variety of reasons, and it can be frustrating not being able to play them.
Try Kernel Video Repair tool to repair corrupt MP4 video files. The tool is also compatible with other popular video file formats, such as, MOV, MPEG, MKV, AVI, WMV, FLV, 3GP, F4V, etc.
The long quest of online search doesn’t help users in finding the right method which can help them to recover corrupted video content. Read along! Here, let’s walk through a couple of approaches that can fix the issues of .mp4 video file corruption, cannot play the video file error, and sort the codecs problem.
When Do You Realize That MP4 File Is Corrupted?
There have been instances where the users have not realized that their videos have gone corrupt. A delayed fix can result in a heavy loss of data forever. These are some quick indicators that help you to find corruption-
- Video unable to play.
- Only audio is playing and no video.
- Choppy/ blurry /flickering video.
- Audio and video not synchronized.
- No audio.
- Video is lagging
- Black screen.
- Computer freezes when video is played.
- Video file is broken.
- Problem with video codec/ proper codec is not installed.
- Format is not supported by your computer.
The corruption can be due to the video file itself, its storage medium, or the device it is playing on. Hence, there can be several reasons for your MP4 video not playing. All main reasons are listed below-
- Sudden shutdown of camera
- Incorrect conversion of video formats
- A bad internet connection
- Incomplete media download or transfer
- Error reading or writing data
- Sudden system shutdown
- Error downloading video
- The use of unreliable video editors
- Malware or virus attacks
- Corrupt video headers
- Low battery during video recording
- Having a faulty, improper, or unauthorized media player
- Unexpected stopping of media player or it is forced to stop.
- Bad sectors on Hard disk
- Already affected/infected files in the folder can corrupt other files as well.
- Occurrence of any kind of error when you are copying MPEG file.
- When file extension is changed to some other format.
Here are the points that one must keep in mind to avoid any future MP4 video file corruption.
- Always back up the video file before making any changes.
- Each time ensure that the PC or laptop is running under optimal conditions and has a consistent electrical connection and continuous supply.
- Keep updating OS and always keep antivirus software.
- Always try to keep backup using USB, DVD, CD, cloud storage, etc. So, if by accident the hard drive gets corrupted, then there would be several options for restoring your video file. Let’s see top five free MP4 repair methods that can fix corrupted video files.
Method 1. Repair Corrupt MP4 Video with VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player is a multi-tasker application. Apart from performing its primary function of playing multimedia files, it can also fix minor corruption issues. It provides in-built index repair features that instantly resolve the issue and repair movie file indexes.
In VLC, the option to fix AVI video files is given built-in, which can be enabled or disabled manually. Therefore, below you must change the format of the corrupt MP4 video file and try to fix MP4 file automatically using VLC. Follow the steps below:
- Right-click on the corrupt MP4 video file and select “Rename”.
- Change the file format to “.avi” as shown below and press Enter.
- Launch VLC >> Click on Tools and select “Preferences”.
- Switch to the “Input/Codecs” section; Inputs/Codecs “Settings” window will open.
- Under the files section, select “Always fix” in the “Damaged or incomplete AVI file” option and click Save.
- Now, try playing the corrupt .mp4 video file with VLC; it should run.
Method 2. Repairing MP4 Video Files via Transcoding in VLC
Transcoding MP4 files in the VLC player allows them to be played on unsupported media players. Here is how to transcode MP4 using VLC.
- Open the VLC Media Player.
- From the Media menu, tap on “Convert/Save.”
- Click Add to browse for the MP4 video that needs to be transcoded.
- Next, tap on Convert/Save. Within the Convert window, choose a file name and the desired file location. From the Profile list, choose the desired input codecs for your video file. Select the Edit Selected Profile button to change the profile settings for a specific profile. Additionally, you can create new profiles or delete existing profiles. Tap on “Start” now.
By using this method, you will be able to fix corrupt MP4 files arising from incompatibility with the media player. After transcoding, you can play the videos using VLC or other players.
Method 3. Increasing Cache Values in the VLC Player
The method fixes fully damaged MP4 files and video lags, and stutters associated with MP4 files. In VLC, increase the Cache values by following these steps:
- Open VLC Media Player and click the “Tools” option.
- Under the Tools menu, tap on Preferences.
- In the option Show Settings, two options come up: Simple and All. “Click” on All.
- Now, tap on the option Input/Codec and select the Advanced option.
- Against the File caching(ms) option, you will have to increase the cache value to 1000.
- Tap on Save and restart the VLC player.
Method 4. Changing the Video Output Settings in VLC
With a change in the Video Output Settings in the VLC Media Player, you can easily fix your MP4 video. Here is how to do so.
- Open VLC Media Player and tap on Tools.
- Go to Preferences and click on Video.
- Under the Video Settings, change the Output settings Automatic to DirectX (DirectDraw) video output.
- Tap on Save and restart the VLC player.
Method 5. How to repair MP4 Videos on Mac via QuickTime
QuickTime media players are also useful for checking damaged and corrupt video files on Mac especially an MOV video file. Your MP4 videos can be inspected in detail and then played with the same media player.
Here are the steps you need to take to check your video with the QuickTime player:
- Play the MP4 video in QuickTime.
- Choose the Window tab and tap on Show Movie Inspector. A detailed description of the MP4 video will come up.
- The video will show a black screen if it is a corrupted video.
- Clearly, the MP4 file is corrupted. Click the Edit option under the QuickTime menu.
- Choose Preferences and then click QuickTime Preferences. Tap on the Update button to update your player.
- Restart your QuickTime media player.
While all the native methods target the minor corruptions in an MP4 file, they may change the structure of the video that make it more unplayable and you may think that why VLC is not able to play MP4 video? Therefore, you must look for a professional solution wholeheartedly.
Method 6. Use A Professional Best MP4 Repair Tool
The above workarounds will positively fix the issue, and the MP4 media will be playable again. But what if you have tried each fix and nothing worked at all? To deal with severe multimedia corruption issues, not many manual ways or methods are available. In a situation like this, the tool proves to be convenient. Using this amazing software, you can repair your severely corrupt movie files, music videos, and other video format files within no time.
To deal with severe multimedia corruption issues, the manual methods are not suitable. In a situation like this, the tool used needs to be effective and convenient. Using Kernel Video Repair, you can repair your severely corrupted movie files, music videos, and any other video format within no time.
It’s an advanced Video repair tool that is specially made to tackle circumstances like this; it can help you repair both corrupt and damaged MP4 and other format multimedia file(s) with ease.
With an intuitive GUI and ease of accessibility, the whole process of repairing and recovering corrupt MP4 video files becomes a piece of cake.
The software doesn’t put any restrictions on multimedia file formats – MP4, AVI, FLV, MPEG, WebM, and more, You can go ahead with a small or big-sized corrupted .mp4 video file(s). MP4 Repair is capable of repairing video files irrespective of their file size and format. For instance, you can load movie files of high-definition video graphics with ease without hampering the integrity of data. It is well compatible with all the versions of the Windows systems without installing any further extensions.
Compatibility is one big thing for desktop tools and application software, not all run on the wide range of Windows operating systems, and if some do, then additional installations are required like Microsoft.Net Framework or the latest version of Microsoft Windows. But that’s not the thing with this tool; it is made available to download on any version of Windows OS you’re using – Windows XP to Windows 11.
Below are other pluses which are bundled within the software:
Repair multiple files at same time
Save Recovered Multimedia File Wherever You Want
In this blog, it is discussed that how to fix corrupt MP4 files by following various methods. With an advanced approach for fixing the issue of MP4 file corruption, the tool is a one-stop solution for all multimedia troubles. it is concluded that the results achieved by this tool were better than any other approach. Sometimes, converting a video can also fix the corruption issue if it is occurring due to a wrong file format. So, with a professional video converter tool, you can easily convert MP4 to other formats easily.
I recently purchased this product and was able to repair video. I tried manual methods as mentioned in this blog, but all failed may be it fixes minor video corruption issue. Great Product, highly recommend this product.
Kernel Video Repair is a powerful and easy-to-use software and it repair my damaged video files. Overall, I was happy with the performance of the software and would recommend it to others.
I am agree with Jeffrey, if we need to repair multiple video file at a time then will have to take help of Kernel video repair or any 3rd party product. I had a single video file that was unplayable and I fixed the issue using these tips. Thanks
Yatendra well described all the free methods to repair corrupt video file. I had multiple video file and can’t repair it at a time, that’s why I purchased the software so that I can repair my all videos in a single click. Thanks for the product.
It’s really very helpful post about free methods. I tried methods 2 for MP4 repair and that worked for me. Thank you for providing such an informative article and I would like to recommend your article those who are looking for free & simple solution to repair MP4.
This article provides best and simple solution to repair MP4 in free, I tried method 1 for MP4 repair and it worked. Thank you very much for providing a free method to repair MP4 video files.
I got this good blog and it has effective methods to fix MP4. You clearly mentioned all the manual process for playing video, that was unplayable. I’d recommend this blog, those who are looking solution to fix video playing issue manually.
My recorded video was corrupted due to virus issue and then I find this amazing video repair tool which scan and fixes the video file and restore my original video as earliest as it can perform recovery. Thanks to its developers.
You clearly mentioned all the possible methods in this blog, but sometimes that methods do not work , I tried all given above a few days back and didn’t able to play my file. After using the product now I can play my all videos.
My video had stopped in the middle don’t know why. I visited many posts and tried methods as per their suggestion, but didn’t work, then decided to take the help of paid tool. Thanks to the software for playing my video.