Read time 10 minutes
Looking for a solution to move data from your on-premises SharePoint to SharePoint Online? Get the best suitable methods in this blog. Go through this blog and find the most helpful ways to move data from SharePoint on-premises to SharePoint Online.
SharePoint has solidified its position as the primary platform for secure internal collaboration on a worldwide scale. The proliferation of SharePoint site collections has surged significantly, particularly following the introduction of SharePoint Online. As Office 365 continues to offer advanced features and capabilities, users who previously relied on on-premises iterations such as SharePoint 2007, SharePoint 2010, and SharePoint 2013 are increasingly opting to migrate their traditional SharePoint deployments to Office 365.
The latest iterations of SharePoint, such as SharePoint 2016 and 2019, can gain greater advantages when integrated with Microsoft 365. Consequently, there is a growing interest among users in exploring approaches to transition their SharePoint environments to Office 365.
What are the benefits of using Microsoft 365?
There are several facilities offered by Microsoft 365 that form the primary reasons for users wanting to migrate SharePoint to Office 365, and some of them are given below-
Total entourage of MS Office applications – Individuals utilizing Microsoft Office 365 enjoy a diverse suite of Office applications such as SharePoint, Microsoft Teams, and Skype for Business. Office 365 is compatible with multiple devices, spanning desktop computers, tablets, and mobile phones.
Best collaborative center – Networks and teams can seamlessly connect and proficiently manage tasks. Exceptional features enhance workplace collaboration, encompassing chat, document sharing, task assignment, progress tracking, project scheduling, document administration, and various utility applications. Following the migration from SharePoint on-premises to the online environment, all types of data will maintain their high level of efficiency.
Greater storage limits for mailboxes – The business-class email service provides a comprehensive package, including a 50GB mailbox allocated to every user and robust calendar features designed with an interface reminiscent of Outlook.
Conferencing and meetings services – Employ screen sharing and audio/video conferencing tools to conduct virtual meetings. These meetings remain accessible even in cases of unreliable internet connectivity, thanks to their straightforward functionalities and capabilities.
Innovative analytical apps and enhanced security – Effective management services when transmitting files externally restrict access to emails and documents to a select group of authorized individuals. Microsoft Office 365 platforms are equipped with robust safeguards to prevent data loss and employ encryption measures. Additionally, the analytics tool provides valuable data analysis and visualization capabilities. Notably, MyAnalytics and Power Business Intelligence facilitate the creation of interactive reports. These advantages serve as compelling incentives for businesses to consider migrating their SharePoint content to Office 365, specifically SharePoint Online.
These are all compelling factors prompting users to transition from SharePoint to Microsoft 365, with SharePoint Online being an essential component. The migration encompasses the transfer of site collections, lists and libraries, workflows, and more.
Migration between 2 separate platforms is not a cakewalk. However, you can opt for either the manual or automated approach to migrate SharePoint to Office 365.
Method-1. Migrate using Microsoft SharePoint Migration Tool
Microsoft introduced the SharePoint Migration Tool (SPMT) as the migration-based assistance tool that migrates data from on-premises SharePoint to Office 365 (SharePoint online). Its simple user interface and basic functionality help migrate complete sites, lists/libraries, and metadata.
The migration will be incremental in which only the new data will move between the SharePoint accounts from the source data and there will be no duplicity.
Which on-premises versions does Microsoft Tool support to migrate SharePoint to Office 365?
The tool supports the SharePoint migration to Office 365 from the following servers-
- SharePoint Server 2016 (Public Preview) to SharePoint Online/OneDrive
- SharePoint Server 2013, SharePoint Foundation 2013 to SharePoint Online/OneDrive
- SharePoint Server 2010, SharePoint Foundation 2010 to SharePoint Online/OneDrive
- Network and local file shares to SharePoint Online/OneDrive
As a nimble migration utility, the SPMT possesses the essential capabilities required for successfully transferring SharePoint data to Office 365 across multiple versions. However, it is not well-suited for handling enterprise-level data migrations and comes with certain noteworthy limitations, which include the following:
- It migrates the data up to 250 GB.
- There are no filtering, customization, or other adaptive features to stop a sizeable and unnecessary data from migration.
- You will get limited information from pre-migration analysis before the software migrates SharePoint to Office 365.
- The migration report also has a limited information related to the migrated items.
Method-2. A Professional Tool for SharePoint to SharePoint Online Migration
Microsoft offers certain free utilities and features for enabling SharePoint to SharePoint Online Migration. However, it’s important to note that these resources may not fully meet all user needs and lack flexibility. Moreover, the effectiveness of these solutions is contingent upon the user’s technical expertise and skillset.
If you aim to achieve a smooth migration of SharePoint to SharePoint Online, free from internal disruptions, constraints on size or quantity, or undue pressure, it is essential to select a professional SharePoint migration solution.
The Kernel Migrator for SharePoint is a sophisticated migration solution equipped with a comprehensive set of features and adaptable services. It empowers users to effortlessly choose multiple SharePoint accounts for migration without any limitations. Our software offers an intricate step-by-step procedure, guiding you through every necessary action to successfully transfer data from on-premises SharePoint to SharePoint Online within the Microsoft 365 ecosystem.
- Open the software, go to SharePoint (on-premises/Online) and right-click it. Select, and Add New SharePoint Site.
- To add a new site, input a project name, the site URL of the on-premises SharePoint site, Username, and password details. Click OK.
- The tool asks if you want to connect the server as a destination. Click No.
- A new project is connected and added to the source list. Now, go to the destination section and right-click on SharePoint (on-premises/online). Choose, Add New SharePoint site option.
- Input the destination details you provide for the source part and click OK.
- Choose if you want to select the site as a source too. Click either yes/no.
- A project is selected in the destination, and you can check the items from both sources and destinations.
- To start the SharePoint to SharePoint Online migration, choose the items from the source and right-click on them. Select ‘Copy To.’
- The SharePoint-to-SharePoint Migration wizard is open. Click Next.
- There are three options for migrating the site – Migrate as a new Active Site, migrate as an existing site, or migrate as a new subsite of the current site. Choose any one and click Next.
- First, use the Site URL to choose the destination site and click the Browse button to select the subsites. Click Next.
- There will be several properties and attributes that you can select to migrate along with the primary data. Click Next.
- Choose more attributes and click Next.
- Apply all the filters that will shorten the amount of data valid for migration. Then, click Next.
- Choose the option to migrate permissions related to all the items. Click Next.
- Use the schedule feature to select the suitable timing to start the migration. Click Next.
- A summary section shows the selected items for migration, desired destination, chosen features, filters, etc. Click Next.
- The migration will start with a quick transfer of each item.
- As soon as the migration is complete, you can see a completion summary showing a clear status of each item migrated.
The top choice among users for migrating SharePoint data to Office 365 is the Kernel Migrator for SharePoint. Its widespread acclaim is attributable to its comprehensive set of advanced functionalities, meticulously crafted to guarantee a migration process that is both smooth and secure. This tool particularly stands out in facilitating a secure transfer of SharePoint content from on-premises setups to the online platform, effortlessly supporting all on-premises versions.
The tool helps you migrate SharePoint permissions easily. This tool facilitates the transfer of a wide range of content, including documents, folders, views, list items, web parts, and workflows, from SharePoint lists and libraries to either an established or newly created SharePoint Online site. It also ensures the preservation of version history during the migration process. The tool’s versatility is further enhanced by the ability to apply filters based on criteria such as dates, users, and file types, allowing for precise and selective data migration. Additionally, it supports the migration of public folder data from Exchange on-premises, Outlook profiles, and Microsoft 365.
Aside from employing the no-cost SharePoint Migration tool, there exists no alternative manual approach for transferring SharePoint data from on-premises servers to the online platform. Given the numerous constraints linked to the free tool, a more advisable course of action is to opt for Kernel Migrator for SharePoint. This software facilitates a rapid, precise, and efficient migration of SharePoint content to Office 365. Kernel Migrator has the capability to seamlessly transfer an unlimited number of site collections, lists, libraries, and various other SharePoint items.