2 Methods to Migrate SharePoint to Microsoft 365 (SharePoint Online)
Read time 10 minutes
Looking for a solution to move data from your on-premises SharePoint to SharePoint Online? Get the best suitable methods in this blog. Go through this blog and find the most helpful ways to move data from SharePoint on-premises to SharePoint Online.
Seeing the potential of the cloud platform, most of the on-premises users are migrating their data to the related online application. It would not be surprising at all if SharePoint on-premises users are following the trend and are migrating their data to SharePoint Online. Owing to the advantage of SharePoint Online in Microsoft 365, many organizations are seriously considering this option now.
Here are some visible benefits that businesses will get after deploying Microsoft 365 in their organization-
Total entourage of MS Office applications – Users of Microsoft Office 365 have access to a wide range of Office program, including SharePoint, Microsoft Teams, and Skype for Business. Office can be set up on a variety of platforms, including desktops, tablets, and smartphones.
Best collaborative center – The networks and teams can simply connect and efficiently handle tasks. Better teamwork at work results from features like chat, documents, task delegation, progress monitoring, project schedules, document management, and other utility apps.
Greater storage limits for mailboxes – The business-class email service offers a complete experience, a 50GB mailbox for each user, and top-notch calendar tools with an Outlook interface.
Conferencing and meetings services – Utilize tools for screen sharing and audio/video conferencing to run online meetings. Even with a spotty internet connection, meetings may be accessed because to the simple features and capabilities.
Innovative analytical apps and enhanced security – Even when sending files outside the company, proper management services make sure that access to emails and documents is limited to a few persons. All Microsoft Office 365 platforms are protected by data loss prevention and encryption capabilities. The data analysis and visualization features of the analytics tools are also quite helpful, and MyAnalytics and Power Business Intelligence also offer interactive reports.
Let us know about the possible practices which users can follow to migrate SharePoint to Microsoft 365, involving SharePoint Online as an integral part. It will migrate all the site collections, lists & libraries, workflows, etc.
Method-1. Migrate using Microsoft SharePoint Migration Tool
Microsoft has introduced SharePoint Migration Tool (SPMT) as the migration-based assistance tool that migrates on-premises SharePoint data to SharePoint online. Its simple user-interface and basic functionality helps to migrate complete sites, list/libraries, and their metadata.
The migration will be incremental in which only the new data will move between the SharePoint accounts from the source data and there will be no duplicity.
Which Migrations Do Microsoft Tool Supports?
The tool supports the following migrations
- SharePoint Server 2016 (Public Preview) to SharePoint Online/OneDrive
- SharePoint Server 2013, SharePoint Foundation 2013 to SharePoint Online/OneDrive
- SharePoint Server 2010, SharePoint Foundation 2010 to SharePoint Online/OneDrive
- Network and local file shares to SharePoint Online/OneDrive
Being a lightweight migration tool, the SPMT has all the necessary powers to complete a migration, but it is not suitable for moving an enterprise-based data and it is some vital limitations like the following-
- It migrates the data up to 250 GB.
- There are no filtering, customization, or other adaptive features to stop a sizeable and unnecessary data from migration.
- There is limited information that you will get from pre-migration analysis.
- The migration report also has a limited information related to the migrated items.
Method-2. A Professional Tool for SharePoint to SharePoint Online Migration
We know Microsoft has been providing some free utilities and features allowing users to perform some data migrations manually. But certainly these facilities do not fulfill all the user requirements and are less flexible. In addition, the success of these solutions depends on the technical expertise and skills of the user.
If you want a successful result to migrate SharePoint to SharePoint Online without any internal disturbance, size or number limitation, or pressure, then you must opt for a professional SharePoint migration solution.
Kernel Migrator for SharePoint is the professional migration tool with all the features and adaptive services to select various SharePoint accounts and migrate them unlimitedly. We present you with a detailed software process with each step required to complete a migration from on-premises SharePoint to SharePoint Online in Microsoft 365.
- Open the software, go to SharePoint (on-premises/Online) and right-click it. Select, and Add New SharePoint Site.
- To add a new site, input a project name, the site URL of the on-premises SharePoint site, Username, and password details. Click OK.
- The tool asks if you want to connect the server as a destination. Click No.
- A new project is connected and added to the source list. Now, go to the destination section and right-click on SharePoint (on-premises/online). Choose, Add New SharePoint site option.
- Input the destination details you provide for the source part and click OK.
- Choose if you want to select the site as a source too. Click either yes/no.
- A project is selected in the destination, and you can check the items from both sources and destinations.
- To start the migration, choose the items from the source and right-click on them. Select ‘Copy To.’
- The SharePoint-to-SharePoint Migration wizard is open. Click Next.
- There are three options for migrating the site – Migrate as a new Active Site, migrate as an existing site, or migrate as a new subsite of the current site. Choose any one and click Next.
- First, use the Site URL to choose the destination site and click the Browse button to select the subsites. Click Next.
- There will be several properties and attributes that you can select to migrate along with the primary data. Click Next.
- Choose more attributes and click Next.
- Apply all the filters that will shorten the amount of data valid for migration. Then, click Next.
- Choose the option to migrate permissions related to all the items. Click Next.
- Use the schedule feature to select the suitable timing to start the migration. Click Next.
- A summary section shows the selected items for migration, desired destination, chosen features, filters, etc. Click Next.
- The migration will start with a quick transfer of each item.
- As soon as the migration is complete, you can see a completion summary showing a clear status of each item migrated.
Kernel Migrator for SharePoint is becoming the first choice of the users for moving SharePoint data from on-premises to cloud. This is because of the advanced features for a smooth, quick and risk-free migration. It supports migration from almost all SharePoint on-premises versions to SharePoint Online.
The tool helps you migrate SharePoint permissions easily. It migrates Documents, folders, views, list items, web parts, workflows etc. from SharePoint lists and libraries to an existing or new SharePoint Online sites. It also migrates versions along with the data. Inclusion of filters like date, users, files, etc. makes this tool suitable for selective migration. Users can also migrate public folder data from Exchange on-premises, Outlook profiles, and Microsoft 365.
Apart from using the free SharePoint Migration tool, there is no other manual method to migrate on-premises SharePoint to SharePoint Only. Due to many limitations associated with the tool, you can use Kernel Migrator for SharePoint and migrate with great speed, accuracy, and efficiency. It can move unlimited site collections, lists, libraries, and other items from SharePoint.