Read time 8 minutes
Microsoft Exchange Server facilitates the creation of multiple mailboxes that are saved securely in the server and helps the users to commit email management. But, to access these mailboxes, you require an email client that provides a GUI-based appearance to access various folders of a single mailbox account. In the Windows environment, you can use MS Outlook and in the Mac environment, you can install Outlook for Mac.
The functional aspect of both applications remains the same, and the mailbox shows the same types of folders. The biggest difference between both Outlooks is their data file. Windows Outlook creates a PST file and Mac Outlook has OLM file for it. Some significant differences between the data files show their importance and usefulness.
OLM file vs. PST file
MS Outlook for Windows supports two files formats – PST and OST. PST stores data when Outlook is configured with POP3 accounts (however, Outlook stores data in OST files when users work in offline mode with Exchange account). Meanwhile, Outlook for Mac stores data in OLM format. These 2 file formats store all the items of the mailbox, which includes emails, contacts, tasks, events, notes, etc.
Try automated tool Kernel for OLM to PST Converter to migrate OLM to Outlook PST, Office 365, Exchange Server, etc flawlessly.
Outlook for Mac Vs. Outlook for Windows
To understand the difference between MS Outlook and Outlook for Mac, we will now be comparing Outlook 2016 for Mac and Outlook 2016 for Windows. Following are some of the significant differences:
- Users: Windows has nearly 400 million active users worldwide, and it is estimated that there are more than 1 billion Windows-powered PCs in use. On the other hand, there are nearly 100 million active Mac users. There is a direct correlation between the numbers of users and support, which implies more support for Outlook for Windows.
- Mail: Outlook for Mac lacks the following features from its Windows counterpart:
- Not possible to create tables.
- Recalling a message is not possible.
- No preview attachment feature in mail messages (in the cloud).
- Saving as HTML/TXT is not possible.
- Folder (order) customization is not possible.
- Send messages defaults not included.
- Not possible to set a folder retention policy.
- Not possible to add posts.
- Finding related messages is not possible.
- Sending mail as a distribution list is not possible.
- Calendar: Outlook for Mac lacks the following calendar features from its Windows counterpart:
- Sharing of availability information such as calendar or contacts with the external user is not possible.
- No SharePoint calendars and lists
- Contacts: Outlook for Mac lacks the following features from its Windows counterpart:
- Not possible to manage the Exchange server distribution list.
- Synchronization of contacts groups with Exchange is not possible.
- Tasks: Outlook for Mac lacks the following features from its Windows counterpart:
- Not possible to assign tasks to users.
- Cannot create To-do items.
- Protocols: Outlook for Mac lacks the following features from its Windows counterpart:
- SMTP and EAS protocols are not included.
- Connection to Exchange over HTTP is not possible.
- Exchange: Outlook for Mac lacks the following features from its Windows counterpart:
- No mail and policy tips.
- Not possible to access the mailbox size and quota information.
- Miscellaneous: Outlook for Mac lacks the following features from its Windows counterpart:
- Automatic synchronization of folders (Drafts, Deleted Items, etc.) for Gmail is not possible.
- No sync slider for an account.
- No access to Office 365 Groups.
- No advanced options for Send/Receive.
- Not possible to optimize bandwidth.
- Gestures, Quicksteps, and OneNote integration are not included.
MS Outlook is designed and developed as a complete email client, whereas Outlook for Mac is designed mainly to provide basic Exchange connectivity in the Mac environment.
Reasons for OLM file conversion
Outlook for Windows does not support OLM files. So, if you want to access your OLM files in MS Outlook for Windows, you have to convert OLM file to PST and then import the PST file to Outlook for Windows. So, if a user moves from Outlook for Mac to Outlook for Windows, OLM files must be converted to PST.
The common scenarios that require OLM to Outlook PST conversion are:
- The user is moving from the Mac system to a Windows system. So, they have to move from Outlook for Mac to Outlook for Windows. So, OLM file conversion is needed.
- One is temporarily using a Windows computer at the office or home. To access his emails of Outlook for Mac, he has to convert OLM file to PST.
- Need to recover data from orphaned OLM files
Manual technique: Mac OLM to Outlook PST conversion
In this method, we are using an IMAP account as an intermediate to transfer data from Outlook for Mac to MS Outlook. So, first, we have to configure the IMAP account in Outlook for Mac and then in Outlook. In Outlook for Mac, data is transferred from Outlook for Mac to the IMAP account. In MS Outlook, data is transferred from the IMAP account to MS Outlook.
This manual technique has four main steps, which you have to perform
- Create an IMAP account
- Open Gmail or any other webmail then, click on Settings
- InSettings, select Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab
- Now check the status of IMAP; if it is not enabled, then enable IMAP and Save changes.
- Configure Outlook for Mac with an IMAP account
- Open Outlook for Mac and then navigate to the Tool tab and select Accounts.
- Now, choose Email and enter your email id, password, and other details.
- Enter IMAP server and choose SSL connection along with SMTP server and 465 as a port number; then click Add Account.
- Export Outlook for Mac emails to the IMAP account
- Open Outlook for Mac then, Select the item you want to move.
- Right-click on the selected folder, then Move> Copy to Folder.
- Find the name of your IMAP folder and choose Copy.
- After that, update the IMAP folder with Send/Receive button, and all your OLM emails are now in the IMAP account.
- Configure Outlook for Windows With the same IMAP account
- Open Control Panel and select Mail>Email Accounts> New
- Select Manually configure server settings then, click Next.
- Choose IMAP/POP settings then, click Next.
- Enter your IMAP account credentials and Incoming and Outgoing server details, then clicks More Settings.
- Click to the Advanced tab, enter the 993 port number in the IMAP server and choose SSL connection.
- Enter the port number of the SMTP server as 465 and select SSL connection, then click OK.
- Now, click on Next. It will take a few minutes, then click Finish.
Thus, the email data is now in MS Outlook, and you can export it to a PST file if required (using the Export feature of Outlook).
A direct way for Mac OLM file to Outlook PST conversion
Kernel Data Recovery has a brilliant software for converting OLM files to PST, i.e., Kernel for OLM to PST Converter. It offers complete conversion of OLM files to Outlook PST. Also, you can export OLM files directly to Exchange server, Apple Mail, and Office 365. It is the easiest way to convert Mac OLM file to Outlook PST as it is fast, efficient, and accurate. The software has no compatibility issue and supports all versions of Outlook for Mac, MS Outlook, and Windows OS.
Step by Step Procedure for Mac OLM file Conversion
- Install and open the the tool and add OLM files.
Note: You can add single or multiple OLM files.
- The software will take a minute and offers you a preview of entire OLM file; select the required folders and click Save.
- Select PST as your file saving format and then click Next.
- In this wizard, you can apply filters with specific criteria like From, To, Subject, Folder Name, Item Type, and Date Range.
- If you have large OLM file, you can split your data into small and multiple PST files; you can also add a prefix to the name before saving your file.
- Provide the file saving location and then Finish. And your OLM files are successfully converted into PST.
Complete Video to Know the Process of Mac OLM file Conversion
Microsoft has smartly designed MS Outlook and Outlook for Mac for managing Exchange Server accounts in Windows and macOS separately. But there is no manual method to convert OLM files to PST format and Kernel software becomes a bridge for it. You should use the software and convert multiple OLM files and use them in the Windows platform.