Free Ways to Convert OLM to PST File
Microsoft, to facilitate Exchange connectivity, offers email client from both Windows and Mac platforms –MS Outlook and Outlook for Mac respectively.
User interface and working of both Outlook for Windows and Outlook for Mac are somewhat similar. The difference between them is that Outlook for Windows uses PST file (OST when connected to Exchange) to store user mailbox data. However, Outlook for Mac uses OLM files to store user mailbox data.
OLM file vs. PST file
MS Outlook for Windows supports two files formats – PST and OST. PST stores data when Outlook is configured with POP3 accounts (however, Outlook stores data in OST files when users work in offline mode with Exchange account). Meanwhile, Outlook for Mac stores data in OLM format.
Try automated tool Kernel for OLM to PST Converter to migrate OLM to PST, Office 365, Exchange Server, etc and makes Outlook for Mac emails accessible in MS Outlook.
Outlook for Windows Vs. Outlook for Mac
We will now be comparing Outlook 2016 for Mac and Outlook 2016 for Windows. Following are some of the significant differences:
- Windows has nearly 400 million active users worldwide, and it is estimated that there are more than 1 billion Windows-powered PCs in use. On the other hand, there are nearly 100 million active Mac users. There is a direct correlation between numbers of users and support, which implies more support for Outlook for Windows.
- Mail: Outlook for Mac lacks the following features from its Windows counterpart:
- Not possible to create tables.
- Recalling a message not possible.
- No voting buttons.
- No preview attachment feature in mail messages (in the cloud).
- Saving as HTML/TXT not possible.
- Folder (order) customization is not possible.
- No Sync filters.
- Send messages defaults not included.
- Not possible to set message sensitivity.
- Not possible to set folder retention policy.
- Not possible to add posts.
- Finding related messages not possible.
- Sending mail as a distribution list not possible.
- Calendar: Outlook for Mac lacks the following features from its Windows counterpart:
- Sharing of availability information such as calendar or contacts with the external user is not possible.
- No SharePoint calendars and lists
- Contacts: Outlook for Mac lacks the following features from its Windows counterpart:
- Not possible to manage the Exchange server distribution list.
- Synchronization of contacts groups with Exchange not possible.
- Tasks: Outlook for Mac lacks the following features from its Windows counterpart:
- Not possible to assign tasks to users.
- Cannot create To-do items.
- Protocols: Outlook for Mac lacks the following features from its Windows counterpart:
- SMTP and EAS protocols not included.
- Connection to Exchange over HTTP not possible.
- Exchange: Outlook for Mac lacks the following features from its Windows counterpart:
- No mail and policy tips.
- Not possible to access the mailbox size and quota information.
- Miscellaneous: Outlook for Mac lacks the following features from its Windows counterpart:
- Automatic synchronization of folders (Drafts, Deleted Items, etc.) for Gmail not possible.
- No sync slider for an account.
- No access to Office 365 Groups.
- No advanced options for Send/Receive.
- Not possible to optimize bandwidth.
- Gestures, Quicksteps, and OneNote integration not included.
Reasons for OLM to PST Conversion
Outlook for Windows does not support OLM files. So, if you want to access your OLM files in MS Outlook for Windows, you have to convert OLM to PST and then import the PST file to Outlook for Windows. So, if a user is moving from Outlook for Mac to Outlook for Windows, then he has to convert OLM files to PST.
The common scenarios that require OLM to Outlook PST conversion are:
- The user is moving from Mac system to a Windows system. So, they have to move from Outlook for Mac to Outlook for Windows. So, OLM to PST conversion is needed.
- One is temporarily using a Windows computer at office or home. To access his emails of Outlook for Mac, he has to convert OLM to PST.
Manual Technique: OLM to PST Conversion
This manual technique has four main steps, which you have to perform one after the other. These steps are:
- Create an IMAP enabled account
- Configure Outlook for Mac with the IMAP account
- Export Outlook for Mac emails in an IMAP account
- Configure Outlook for Windows with the same IMAP account
- Create an IMAP Account
- Open Gmail or any other webmail then click on settings
- In Settings select Forwarding and POP/IMAP Tab
- Now check the status of IMAP; if it is not enabled then enable IMAP and save changes.
- Configure Outlook for Mac with IMAP Account
- Open Outlook for Mac and then navigate to Tool tab and select Accounts.
- Now choose Email and enter your email id, password, and other details.
- Enter IMAP server and choose SSL connection along with SMTP server and 465 as a port number; then click Add Account.
- Export Outlook for Mac emails to IMAP Account
- Open Outlook for Mac then select the item you want to move.
- Right-click on the selected folder then Move> Copy to Folder.
- Find the name of your IMAP folder and choose Copy.
- After that update IMAP folder with Send/Receive button and all your OLM emails are now in IMAP account.
- Configure Outlook for Windows with the same IMAP account
- Open Control Panel and select Mail>Email Accounts> New
- Select Manually configure server settings then click Next.
- Choose IMAP/POP settings then click Next.
- Enter your IMAP account credentials and Incoming and Outgoing server details then clicks More Settings.
- Click to the Advanced tab and enter 993 port number in IMAP server and choose SSL connection.
- Enter the port number of SMTP server as 465 and select SSL connection then click OK.
- Now click on Next; it will take a few minutes then click Finish.
A Direct Way for OLM to PST Conversion
Kernel has a brilliant software for converting OLM files to PST, i.e., Kernel for OLM to PST Converter. It offers complete conversion of OLM files to Outlook PST. Also, you can export OLM files directly to Exchange server, Apple Mail, and Office 365. Kernel for OLM to PST Converter is the easiest way to convert OLM to PST as it is fast, efficient and accurate. The software has no compatibility issue and supports all versions of Outlook and Windows OS.
Quick Procedure for OLM to PST Conversion
- Open Kernel for OLM to PST Converter and add OLM files.
- The software will take a minute and offers you a preview of entire OLM file; select the required folders and click Save.
- Select PST as your file saving format and then click Next.
- In this wizard, you can apply filters with specific criteria like From, To, Subject, Folder Name, Item Type, and Date Range.
- If you have large OLM file, then you can split your data into small and multiple PST files; you can also add a prefix to the name before saving your file.
- Provide the file saving location and then Finish. And your OLM files are successfully converted into PST.
Note: You can add single or multiple OLM files.