Free Methods to Office 365 Backup
Read time 12 minutes
Cloud technology has gone mainstream in the last decade, with all industry leaders relying heavily on those platforms. Microsoft 365 is undoubtedly the most effective cloud service, with millions of users globally. It offers utilities like Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, Skype for Business, Microsoft Teams, and MS Office Suite, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, etc. Be it a single creator, small-sized business, or multi-national giant, all are extensively utilizing the platform.
Try Kernel Office 365 Backup and Restore a powerful way to export free data from Office 365/ Microsoft 365 to MS Outlook instantly.
Although Microsoft 365is reliable and has many robust security features, many users are still hesitant about data security on the platform. Server outages, hacking attempts, uptime issues, etc., can make cloud data inaccessible for some time or forever. That is why users strongly believe in backup Office 365 data.
For backup, experts suggest usingwell-tested software perfect to secure Office 365 mailboxes. It must take a backup of the Microsoft 365 data per its user’s requirements.
Why do you need to take a Backup of Office 365?
Due to the ample storage space available in Microsoft 365, the users do not feel the need to backup their data. But data protection and security should be the highest priority. With more and more daily threats, it is more challenging, even for cloud users.
Microsoft and the user share the responsibility of keeping the data secure. And hence, you need to take a backup of the data regularly.
Here are the reasons why you should take a Backup of Office 365
- Avoid accidental deletion
Despite strong tactics used by Microsoft to protect the data, it is not immune to human errors. Accidental deletion is the most common reason for data loss in Microsoft 365 and can cause up to 70% of losses for an organization, and the risks are real. Any company would want to reduce such deletions so that it doesn’t lead to data loss.
Microsoft 365 provides a retention policy where the deleted messages are retained for 14 days, and the administrator can stretch them up to 30 days. But this is not dependable since it does not give sufficient time to recognize that a necessary deletion has happened. If you have not taken a backup of Office 365 data, the data will be gone forever after 30 days of the retention period expiring.
- Helps in data retention
Once an employee resigns from the organization, then their mailbox is no longer required. But the information saved in the user mailbox can be of great importance. But, it is costlier for the business to maintain such redundant mailboxes since the Office 365 subscription price is based on the number of users.
A backup will be cheaper than an active subscription and ensures that emails are protected and available whenever the business needs them.
- Protects from internal threats
Generally, business owners consider internal threats quite minimal and rare. But, when the employees are not appropriately trained in data security, their data is vulnerable.
If some data gets lost due to actions by employees, then there will be serious trouble for the organization. Without a backup file, there is no technique to recover such data. Using efficient backup software is the only method to protect your data from internal threats.
- Saves from the external threats
External threats are more dangerous than internal threats. Internal threats are rare, but external threats target extensive professional data. Malware, spyware, ransomware, and such threats can corrupt the data and gain entry into your business.
Since remote working has become the new normal, the intensity of external threats has increased substantially. If you take a regular backup, you can restore the most recent version of the deleted data.
- Fulfills legal and compliance requirements
A business cannot get rid of its old or unused data easily. A company must meet multiple litigations and compliance requirements, like legal audits. Office 365 has some native litigation hold services and e-Discovery search features, but they work only in the enterprise-level Office 365 plans.
Businesses can either upgrade to an expensive enterprise subscription plan or take a regular backup using more cost-effective software.
- Provides better support for your clients
Some service providers purchase Office 365 subscriptions for their clients and help them with professional email communication. Clients who face a problem request data protection from the service provider. If you have taken the backup, you can quickly solve such an issue by restoring the backup file and providing quick access.
Manual Method to Take Backup of Office 365
The Office 365 administrators with Business or Enterprise subscriptions can export the mailboxes to a PST file using the Content Search in eDiscovery Manager. Content Search is useful in searching the mailboxes and public folders from Exchange Online. Then, you can export the mailboxes to a PST file. Follow the given steps for more-
- Login to the Exchange Admin Center and click on Admin.
- If your account is not a member of eDiscovery Manager, then you can edit the Role Group and add your mailbox.
- In the Content Search, click Add (+)and create a new search for the mailboxes. Add the mailboxes that you want to export in PST, and click on the Start Export option to start the process.
- Once the export process is complete, click on Download exported results.
You can get an export key that you can use to download the results and save the PST file.
The native Office 365 Backup solution of exporting the Office 365 mailbox to PST is suitable for the expensive Business and Enterprise editions only. And the backup is easy with a small size of data. When your mailbox reaches its 50 GB limit, it will take many hours to complete this export process.
The tool can reduce this complex and error-prone process to export Office 365 to PST. You can choose unlimited mailboxes, apply the filters, and save them at any preferred location.
It takes a backup ofemails from all the folders of the mailbox meant for saving the emails like Inbox, Outbox, Junk, Deleted Items, Sent Items, etc.
All the attachments, irrespective of their types of sizes, are searchable and are available for backup.
Contacts will be saved with their complete properties like name, address, number, email ID, etc.
- All mailbox items
Several mailbox items include appointments, events, meetings, venues, categories, etc.
The default hierarchy of folders (including the user-defined) and their structure will be saved in the backup file and protected.
What are the benefits of using the Kernel software?
- Users can reduce large mailboxes into smaller, manageable files. Business communication through emails will significantly benefit from it. You can move the unnecessary emails to the PST file.
- Microsoft assures about the physical availability of its servers, but the data centers can face some disasters and become unresponsive. The software will help you in planning your disaster management solutions.
- It will save the essential data for you, irrespective of the retention policies applied to it.
- It can efficiently work without Outlook to create new PST files.
- It supports all the plans and subscriptions of Office 365. The PST file can be used in the Outlook application of all versions.
- Multiple filter options are integrated with the software to stop unwanted data from backup. They are based on folders, dates, and item types. You can also avoid empty and deleted folders.
- If you mention the name, a unique option can save the whole mailbox in a different folder. It is useful when you want to access the entire data separately.
- The process is simple, making it ideal even for beginners.
Many reasons are behind the loss of data in Microsoft 365. It can cause severe damage to your business, so experts recommend taking a backup of all your Office 365 data at regular intervals. The eDiscovery utility can be used to conduct a backup. However, you can opt for professional software to make the process smoother and error-free.
Frequently Asked Questions about Office 365 Backup
A- The software has a single and direct method for taking a backup of all Office 365 plans.
A- There is no limit for adding mailboxes using a CSV file.
A- No, the CSV file has the fields for account credentials, and once the file is added to the software, there is no requirement for account login.
A- No, once the impersonation rights are with the account, it does not require assigning it again.
A- The PST file will have the same as the mailbox, so there is no need to provide a new name.
A- 1. Open the KernelApps tool.
2. Click on the Backup button.
3. Click the Add button and add single/multiple accounts.
4. Choose the migration type – Mailbox, Archive Mailbox or Public Folder.
5. Apply filters to perform selective migration.
6. Click I’m OK, Start Migration.
7. Once the migration is complete, save the migration summary.
All manual procedural queries are now resolved. Now I can easily backup all my Office 365 data, wherever I wish. I appreciate the solution and the suggestions.
I think it’s the easiest tool I’ve ever used to backup data cloud data. My client is also extremely pleased and satisfied.
Thanks for describe the method clearly, It helps users like me. The software is very effective and quick..
I read above mentioned MVP Reviews and appreciate with them. The tool really works in proper way.
Excellent solution to take backup of Office 365. Its really work. Keep it up such a great help.
What a great article on Backup Office 365 mailbox data. Free method really work , I tried it. Thank you for sharing such an informative article.