Office 365 shared mailbox is one of the best features of the platform, which is generally used to hold the data commonly shared by many users. With a shared mailbox, multiple users can access and manage the data from a single mailbox. Moreover, it can also be used to send/receive emails from a single mail address by all the users added to the shared mailbox.
But there often comes certain situations like inadvertent data deletions, data loss risks, and other requirements where users need to backup their Office 365 data including shared mailboxes.
While talking about shared mailbox backup, it is not that simple, especially for new users, as they don’t have enough knowledge of using the Admin Center. So, here is a brief process of how you can export shared mailboxes to PST via manual approach using in-built eDiscovery utility. Perform export by following the given steps.
- Login to your Office 365 account as an administrator and click Admin. Then expand Admin centers and select Security & Compliance.
- Now navigate to Permissions>e-Discovery Manager role group. In the properties window of the role, click Edit option and add your account to the eDiscovery Administrator list. Along with other role groups, check whether Mailbox Import and Export role group is assigned. If not, assign this group in the role groups using the Edit option.
- Go to Search and Investigation and select Content Search. In the opened window, click New Search. Select specific locations option and click Modify. Select Exchange email or select specific mailboxes from Choose users, groups option
- You can also add filter options like keywords, from/to/subject, message types, etc. by checking the related options and clicking Add.
- Enter a name and description of the search process and click Save.
- The search progress is performed in the background. Go to Content Search again, click Refresh and select your created search.
- In the Mailbox PST Backup window, click More>Export results.
- In the Export Results window, select the desired options and click Export.
- The export process is started. You can see the progress in the Export tab.
- Wait for the process to finish. Download the results if you want to. At the bottom of the page, an export key is there which you can copy to clipboard.
- Then e-Discovery export tool will open. Paste the copied export key here. Provide the saving location for PST file and click Start.
- The tool will start the export process. Once completed, click the Finish button.
Seeing the above steps, you might have got an idea about how complicated and tricky the manual process is. Also, it is not recommended for naïve users who are not well-versed with Office 365 functionalities.
Thus, to avoid such a lengthy and unreliable method to transfer Office 365 shared mailboxes to Outlook PST file, you can try our robust software Kernel Office 365 Backup & Restore software.
It is a great utility that not only exports Office 365 mailboxes to PST file, but also helps in restoring PST file back to Office 365 environment. Download and install the software on your system. Let us see how it works.
- Launch the software and click the Backup option.
- To add Office 365 as a source for backup, click the Add button.
- Now, provide your Office 365 Administrator account credentials. Select List All Mailboxes using above credentials, then click Get User Mailbox(es). Make your selection of mailboxes and click Add.
- Select the option Mailbox to add shared mailboxes for migration and click Migrate.
- In the Filter Selection window, apply filter options (date range, folder exclusion options, skip previously migrated items, etc.) as per your requirements. Finally click I am OK, Start Migration.
- Provide location for saving the backup PST file.
- The backup process starts. When the tool confirms completion, click OK to finish the process.
That’s how you can easily export Office 365 mailboxes to PST with Kernel Office 365 Backup & Restore.
Exporting Office 365 shared mailboxes to PST as a backup is essential, as it contains valuable information related to employees and clients. But, the manual process is not that easy to follow up. So, we discussed how you can export Shared mailboxes to PST file. With Kernel Office 365 Backup & Restore, you surely find it more convenient than the manual way of export.