In-place archiving in Office 365 offers additional mailbox storage space to its users. But, to archive emails in Outlook, the user mailbox should have “Archive mailbox” enabled. Once the archive mailbox is enabled, users can move messages from the primary mailbox to the archive mailbox.
To enable archive mailbox in Office 365, follow these steps
- Visit https://protection.office.com/ and sign-in with your Office 365 credentials.
- In the “Security and Compliance Center,” select “Data governance,” and then click “Archive.”
- The “Archive” page will be displayed on the screen. You’ll see all the mailboxes that are connected to your Office 365 account. Also, the archive mailbox column will show whether an archive mailbox has been enabled or not.
- Now, select the mailbox for which you want to enable “Archive mailbox.”
- A warning will be displayed on your screen as shown below. Click “Yes” to enable archive mailbox.
It will take a few seconds to create the “Archive mailbox.” Once it is created, the user will be able to see the archive mailbox.
How can Office 365 users archive emails?
If the archive mailbox is enabled, you can archive emails by following these steps:
- Login to Outlook using Office 365 account. Now, open the folder from where you want to archive emails.
Note: You can also perform this action by selecting the specific emails, and then clicking “Archive” icon on the top pane of Office 365 account.
- Select the specific emails and right-click on them. A wizard will appear on the screen. Hit the “Archive” button to move these emails to the archive mailbox.
Archiving in Outlook 2016
To archive emails in Outlook 2016
If you have configured Office 365 account in Outlook, then you can use the archive feature of Outlook to archive old emails. However, please remember that emails are archived locally to the Archive folder of Outlook.
- Open Outlook on your desktop and select emails from inbox or any other folder.
- Now, right-click on those selected emails, and click “Archive” to move emails to the archive mailbox.
Note: You can also perform this action by selecting emails, and then clicking “Archive” in the ‘Delete’ group (of the ribbon). You can also use the “backspace” button on the keyboard to directly archive the selected emails.
How to Archive an Outlook Folder
- To move a whole folder to archive, then go to the “File” tab and select “Tools.” Now from the drop-down menu, select “Clean up old items.”
- A window will appear on the screen with all the folders of Outlook. Select the specific folder that you want to move to archive. In this section, you can select the date from which you want to archive the emails. Also, you can include emails that have enabled “Do not Auto Archive.” Select the location on your system where you want to save this archive file and click “OK.”
Archiving in Outlook 2013 and 2010
The archiving process in Outlook 2013 and 2010 is similar. To archive emails in Outlook 2010 and 2013, follow these steps:
- Open Outlook and go to the “File” tab.
- Now, choose “Cleanup Tools” and select “Archive” from the drop-down menu.
- A pop-up window will appear on the screen with all the folders of Outlook, select the specific folder that you want to move to archive mailbox.
- Select the date from which you want to archive the emails. Also, you can include emails that have enabled “Do not Auto Archive.” Select the location on your system where you want to save this archive file and click “OK.”
This archive will be saved to the chosen location.
A Professional Solution for Office 365 Email Archiving
If you need a direct, convenient, and more flexible solution to archive emails in Office 365, then you should consider a professional tool like Kernel Office 365 Email Archiving. It is a smartly designed tool that readily supports archiving selected or all Office 365 data to a secure file format. It archives data from Office 365 mailboxes, groups, public folders, shared mailboxes, and archive mailboxes. To understand the actual working of the tool, users can download and install the free version of the tool from its official website.
To archive Office 365 emails, follow the steps as below:
- Launch the Kernel Office 365 Email Archiving tool. On the Welcome Screen, click the “Add” option to add the Office 365 account to the tool.
- Next, enter the Office 365 account login credential details like user name and password. You can either select the Single mailbox or Multiple mailbox option based on your choice. Then, click the “Add” option to add it.
- The Office 365 account gets added. Click “Set Filter and Migrate” to progress.
- Now, choose the Migration type as Mailbox, Archive Mailbox, or Public Folder from the source Office 365 account and click “Migrate.”
- On the “Filter Selection” page, select the desired folders, apply filters – date filter, item type filter, and other options as per the need. Click “I am OK, Start Migration” to start the migration.
- Choose the archiving file format as PST (or any other) from the provided options and click “OK.”
- Next, provide the destination for the archived Office 365 mails and click “OK”.
- The archiving process will start and complete in no time.
- Check the specified destination for the archived email data.
This way, you can archive emails in Office 365 within a minimum possible time with full flexibility. Get the complete information about the tool and the full version from its official website.