Read time 10 minutes
Maintaining an organized inbox is crucial for keeping your email correspondence on top. However, as your inbox starts to fill up, it can become difficult to find important messages. A cluttered Inbox can lead to a lot of confusion and occupies more time for the user.One way to declutter your inbox is to archive old messages. Mail archiving is the process of moving old or unused email messages to a separate storage location. This can free up space in your mailbox, help with email organization, and make it easier to find specific messages.
Office 365 includes an Archive Mailbox feature that you can use to store older email messages. When you archive a message, it’s moved to the Archive Mailbox. You can still access archived messages in the Archive Mailbox, and they count against your storage quota just like messages in your primary mailbox.
Here, we will discuss how to archive mails in Office 365
How does archiving make managing emails easier for users?
Many users are unaware of the various advantages that archiving emails have-
- It ensures a clear separation of all emails in the main mailbox.
- These archived mails can be easily accessed from any device and location using Outlook 2013 and higher versions.
- The search option enables users to find the right message whenever required.
- The storage space is unlimited.
- Any email can be archived easily, either manually or automatically.
- The storage limit for the primary and archive mailbox is separate.
- A clear and organized Inbox
- Avoids any kind of confusion
- Better productivity since less time is wasted in finding emails
To enable archive mailbox in Office 365, follow these steps:
First, check for the Archive page in the Exchange admin center. If it is not available, you don’t have sufficient permissions to enable archiving. Exchange administrators can assign the Mail Recipients role to the account (by default, this is assigned to Organization Management and Recipient Management role groups before starting the procedure given below. Once this permission is given, the Archive page will appear in Exchange admin center.
- Visit https://protection.office.com/ and sign in with your Office 365 credentials.
- In the “Security and Compliance Center,” select “Data governance,” and then click “Archive.”
- The “Archive” page will be displayed on the screen. You’ll see all the mailboxes that are connected to your Office 365 account. Also, the archive mailbox column will show whether an archive mailbox has been enabled or not.
- Now, select the mailbox for which you want to enable “Archive mailbox.” Click Enable.
- A warning will be displayed on your screen as shown below. Click “Yes” to enable the archive mailbox.
It will take a few seconds to create the “Archive mailbox.” Once it is created, the user will be able to see the archive mailbox.
How can Office 365 users archive emails?
If the archive mailbox is enabled, Outlook or Outlook on the Web users can archive emails by following these steps:
- Log in to Outlook using an Office 365 account. Now, open the folder from where you want to archive emails.
Note: You can also perform this action by selecting the specific emails and then clicking the “Archive” icon on the top pane of the Office 365 account.
- Select the specific emails and right-click on them. A wizard will appear on the screen. Hit the “Archive” button to move these emails to the archive mailbox.
Archiving in Outlook 2016
To archive emails in Outlook 2016
If you have configured an Office 365 account in Outlook, you can use the archive feature of Outlook to archive old emails. However, please remember that emails are archivedlocally in the Archive folder of Outlook.
- Open Outlook on your desktop and select emails from your inbox or any other folder.
- Now, right-click on those selected emails, and click “Archive” to move emails to the archive mailbox.
Note: You can also perform this action by selecting emails and clicking “Archive” in the ‘Delete’ group (of the ribbon). You can also use the “backspace” button on the keyboard to directly archive the selected emails.
How to Archive an Outlook Folder?
- To move a whole folder to archive, then go to the “File” tab and select “Tools.” Now from the drop-down menu, select “Clean up old items.”
- A window will appear on the screen with all the folders of Outlook. Select the specific folder that you want to move to archive. In this section, you can select the date from which you want to archive the emails. Also, you can include emails that have enabled “Do not Auto Archive.” Select the location on your system where you want to save this archive file and click “OK.”
Archiving in Outlook 2013 and 2010
The archiving process in Outlook 2013 and 2010 is similar. To archive emails in Outlook 2010 and 2013, follow these steps:
- Open Outlook and go to the “File” tab.
- Now, choose “Cleanup Tools” and select “Archive” from the drop-down menu.
- A pop-up window will appear on the screen with all the folders of Outlook, select the specific folder that you want to move to the archive mailbox.
- Select the date from which you want to archive the emails. Also, you can include emails that have enabled “Do not Auto Archive.” Select the location on your system where you want to save this archive file and click “OK.”
This archive will be saved to the chosen location.
A Professional Solution for Office 365 Email Archiving
If you need a direct, convenient, and more flexible solution to archive emails in Office 365, then you should consider a professional tool like Kernel Office 365 Email Archiving. It is a smartly designed tool that readily supports archiving selected or all Office 365 data to a secure file format. It archives data from Office 365 mailboxes, groups, public folders, shared mailboxes, and archive mailboxes. With this tool, you can perform selective archiving too. To understand the actual working of the tool, users can download and install the free version of the tool from its official website.
To archive Office 365 emails, follow the steps below:
- Launch the Kernel Office 365 Email Archiving tool. On the Welcome Screen, click the “Add” option to add the Office 365 account to the tool.
- Choose Use Basic Authentication and click Ok.
- Next, enter the Office 365 account login credential details like user name and password. You can either select the Single mailbox or Multiple mailbox option based on your choice. Then, click the “Add” option to add it.
- The Office 365 account gets added. Click “Set Filter and Migrate” to progress.
- Now, choose the Migration type as Mailbox, Archive Mailbox, or Public Folder from the source Office 365 account and click “Migrate.”
- On the “Filter Selection” page, select the desired folders, apply filters – date filter, item type filter, and other options as per the need. Click “I am OK, Start Migration” to start the migration.
- Choose the archiving file format as PST (or any other) from the provided options and click “OK.”
- Next, provide the destination for the archived Office 365 mails and click “OK”.
- The archiving process will start and be complete in no time.
- Check the specified destination for the archived email data.
This way, you can archive emails in Office 365 within a minimum possible time with full flexibility. The advantage of this method is that emails can be archived in multiple formats. Get the complete information about the tool and the full version from its official website.
As your business grows, the volume of emails you send and receive also grows simultaneously. This can create a challenge in maintaining a clean Inbox. That’s when archiving your mailboxes in Office 365 comes into the picture. Luckily, there are a few different ways to archive your emails in Office 365.
In this post, we’ve outlined different methods in detail for archiving mailboxes in Office 365. We’ve also provided a step-by-step guide on how to use Kernel Office 365 Email Archiving Tool, which is an easy but professional way to archive all your email data within a few minutes.