Free Methods to Convert MBOX to PST File
MBOX is a file format supported by more than 20 email clients like Thunderbird, Apple Mail, Powermail, SeaMonkey and many more. However, due to professional reasons, many users need to access their MBOX mailboxes in Microsoft Outlook. MS Outlook has many features that are suitable for professional uses, Also, there is a perception that Outlook email client is better than its MBOX counterparts. However, for accessing MBOX emails in Outlook, they have to convert MBOX to PST file format.
Why is MS Outlook Preferred Over MBOX Email Clients?
Before going for the conversion, it is good to understand the advantages of PST over the MBOX format:
- PST supports multiple types of data
MBOX format is suitable only for email messages. But the PST format can support emails, contacts, tasks, calendars, notes, and more mailbox items.
- Advanced format
PST format is very advanced for storing mailbox data systematically. But the MBOX format is very simple, and emails are saved sequentially.
- Outlook supports Exchange accounts
MS Outlook is designed for Exchange connectivity. And it is possible to work in offline mode in Outlook.
- More control and better security features
Outlook provides more control for users and offers advanced security features for emails and attachments such as Anti-spam, password protection, etc.
Try automated tool Kernel for MBOX to PST Converter to convert MBOX/MBX/MBS emails to PST, DBX, EML, Office 365 and Exchange Server.
A Simple Method to Move MBOX Emails to Outlook/PST
To move the MBOX format emails to PST, you have to follow these three simple steps:
Save MBOX Emails as EML Files
- Open the MBOX email client. Right-click on a folder and click New Folder option.
- Enter a name and click Create Folder.
- Select all the EML messages you want to migrate and move them to newly created folder.
- Now all the emails are present in the folder.
- Choose all the emails and select the Save as option. It will save the emails in EML format to any desired location.
Drag and Drop EML Files to Outlook
- Open the folder where EML files are saved. Select all the emails and simply drag and drop them to any Outlook folder.
Export Emails to PST Files
- To export the emails to a PST file, follow Fil > Open & Export > Import/Export.
- In the Import/Export wizard, choose Export to a file and click Next.
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst). Click Next.
- Go to the folder where EML files are saved and click Next.
- Input a location for the new PST file, choose the desired option, and click Finish to end the process.
Note: You can also assign a password to the newly created PST file.
- A new PST file is created at the desired location.
Convert MBOX to PST Using Email Clients
Apple Mail is another big platform that uses the MBOX file, but the process to convert MBOX to PST is a tricky one here. You need to complete the conversion in several stages like the following:
Stage 1: Use Apple Mail
- Start the Apple Mail on your system.
- Click File >> Import Mailboxes.
- Select all the files that you want to import in the MBOX. Click Continue.
- Browse to the location where you have saved in the MBOX file. Choose all the required files to import and click Continue.
- After the process gets complete, click Done. But, make sure that all the required files are present in the Import Section.
Stage 2: Use Eudora
- You need to append the MBOX files extension. For example, rename the data file ‘Adam’ to ‘Adam.mbx.’
- Move the newly renamed Adam.mbx file at the directory location where Eudora saves its files. (C:\Documents and Settings
- Start the Eudora application and double-click the ‘Adam.mbx’ file.
Stage 3: Use Outlook Express
- Start Outlook Express and follow File >> Import >> Messages.
- Choose Eudora from the list and click Next.
- Go to the location where you have saved the Adam.mbx and click OK.
- Follow the next steps to complete the import steps and check if the files have been imported cleanly.
Stage 4: Use Outlook
- Start Outlook and click File option.
- Select the Import/Export wizard and click the Import option.
- Follow the steps to import the whole content from the Outlook Express to Outlook.
- Follow the steps to import the whole content from Outlook Express to Outlook.
- First, select the Import from another file and folder option and click Next.
- Then, on the next page select Import Internet Mail and Addresses and click Next.
- Next, select Choose Outlook Express 4.x, 5.x, 6.x or window mail option and proceed.
- Select the DBX file now to finally import it to the Outlook application.
An Automated Method to Convert MBOX to PST
The manual method indicates that it is quite a time taking process with multiple stages, and only a user who has worked on both MBOX email client and Microsoft Outlook can perform the whole process. Also, all the above manual procedures involve the use of at least two email clients installed on the applications and are devoid of filters for selective data migration from one format to another. So, using a professional MBOX to PST converter is a good option for normal users. Kernel for MBOX to PST Converter can easily export the data from MBOX platform to Outlook. It lets the user filter the data based on different criteria like To, From, Subject, Date, and attachment. MBOX to PST converter can also freely convert 25 items per folder in PST format.
The preference of Outlook over MBOX supported email clients due to advanced features and options integrated within the former tends users to move their existing MBOX data to Outlook and the blog included the free manual ways like EML drag/drop, multi-staged export of MBOX file through multiple email clients like Apple Mail, Eudora, Outlook Express, etc. with detailed process explanation. Owing to non-ignorable challenges linked with the native ways, a professional tool is recommended for the best and quick results.
Video Tutorial for MBOX to PST Converter Tool
Users Review and Rating for MBOX to PST Converter