Read time 9 minutes
Mac mail not syncing with Exchange Server is a common issue faced by many users. To fix this issue, users need to make sure that they have the latest updates installed and that their internet connection is stable. They may also need to re-add their Exchange account and rebuild the Outlook for Mac database. However, for a quick solution, users can use the Kernel for OLM to PST software. This software provides a quick and easy method to resolve all such issues.
Outlook for Mac provides Exchange connectivity in a Mac environment. It facilitates offline working in an Exchange environment. Synchronization between the Exchange server and client application (Outlook for Mac ) is done so that whenever there is any modification on one side (the Server-side or client-side), the change gets updated on the other side. Sometimes, this Outlook for Mac to Exchange synchronization process gets affected partially or fully due to errors, improper configurations, or OLM file corruption. Due to this, mailboxes are not updated on the server-side or the client-side, and it becomes necessary to fix Mac mail not syncing with Exchange issues.
Reasons Behind OLM to Exchange Synchronization Issues
Many users of Outlook for Mac face this issue, so we need to realize its causes. Some of them have been stated below:
- Offline Mode: When you use Outlook for Mac in offline mode, it won’t sync with Exchange and therefore result in synchronization issues.
- Connection Failure: Network or server related issues like slow or unstable connections, outdated passwords or outdated macOS might make the initial connection to the Exchange Server difficult.
- Cache Issue: Corrupted Outlook caches may lead to Mac mail not syncing with Exchange problems, therefore delete or recreate cache, as recommended by some experts.
- 4. Incorrect Settings: Incorrectly configured settings like date and time, server address, etc. may create such sync problems. Check the settings & make necessary adjustments to resolve the problem (discussed below in detail).
Now, as you know the main reasons behind the issue, we will provide you with some ways to get out of this Mac mail not syncing with Exchange issue.
Fix Exchange synchronization issues in Outlook for Mac
- Check Offline Mode
It is the most basic check that you can perform before pursuing any other method. Go to the Outlook menu and check if the Work Offline option is selected or not. If selected, unselect it and check if the synchronization is better now.
- Rebuild the Outlook for Mac File
To fix this issue, you should perform the troubleshooting as explained here.
Firstly, close all the Outlook for Mac-related processes currently running on the system. Take a backup of the Identities folder of Outlook for Mac in C drive. Then, click on the Outlook application with the Alt key on hold to start the Microsoft Database Utility app. Here, select the identity you want to recreate and click the Rebuild option to create it. Wait until the process gets completed.
- Clear Cache Data
This method works when any specific folder is not synchronizing, but the rest of the Exchange folders synchronize with Outlook. Here is the fix.
First, ensure that there is a connection between Outlook for Mac and Exchange Server. Right-click on the respective Exchange folder, which is not synchronizing, and click on the Properties option. Now, switch to the General tab and click on the option Empty Cache. Next, check if the folder is synchronized and if new items are received in it.
- Confirm Exchange Connectivity
The issue can be due to an error in connection of Outlook with the correct Exchange Server. You should check it once to confirm if this is the issue. Follow this process:
Go to Tools > Accounts in your Outlook for Mac and check over the Exchange Account. If there is an orange indicator against the added Exchange account, it means there is some issue. You can try disconnecting it and re-configuring it. Try connecting it with Outlook on the web and check the status of the Exchange Server now. If everything is fine, connect to the desired server again.
- Outlook for Mac Update
If you’re encountering the Outlook for Mac not syncing with the Exchange Server issue, critical updates might be missing. To update Outlook for Mac, go through the steps below.
- Access Outlook and go to the Help menu. Tap on Check for Updates.
- As the Microsoft AutoUpdate window comes, choose the option Automatically. You can also select the time frame for your update cycle under the Check for Updates section.
- Lastly, tap on the option Check for Updates button. You can now download and install the latest updates easily.
- Reindex the Outlook for Mac App
The following steps will assist you in fixing Outlook for Mac not syncing with the Exchange Server.
- Shut down all running applications.
- Click the Outlook icon in the launcher and the Outlook Index tool will appear.
- Click on the Reindex option while selecting the database.
- Launch the terminal once the Reindex process has finished. Then run the following commands one by one.
sudo mdutil -E /
sudo mdutil -i on /
- Restart the Sync Services Agent
Restarting the Sync Services Agent is one of the best ways to fix the Outlook for Mac not syncing with the Exchange Server issue. Follow the steps below to get through this process easily.
- Shut down Outlook for Mac.
- Now go to Applications and tap on Utilities.
- Next, select the option Activity Monitor.
- Go to the tab Process Name & tap on Sync Services Agent.
- Choose the process and tap on the Quit option.
- Lastly, exit the Activity Monitor & access your Outlook for Mac application once again to check whether this issue is fixed or not.
The above methods are easy and can solve the synchronization issue between Outlook for Mac and Exchange Server. You can give these solutions a try and get rid of that unwanted situation quickly. But what if the Outlook files have become inaccessible? First, you can think of rebuilding the Office database using MS Database Utility. It is usually available at its default location /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Office/. You can rebuild the database using this utility by clicking the identity of the database you want to rebuild. If this also doesn’t work for you, you need to retrieve inaccessible Outlook for Mac data using a professional tool.
How to Retrieve Inaccessible Outlook for Mac Data?
If you are still not able to fix the issue with your Outlook for Mac data file, you can think of converting the OLM file to PST and recovering its data. For this, we bring the most promising OLM Converter tool – Kernel for OLM to PST Converter tool, which converts OLM files to Outlook 2019, 2016 & 2013. It also allows users to make secure migrations from OLM to Exchange Server and the cloud-based platform of Office 365. The tool provides many filter options for users to move only specific data to the destination. Also, it provides complete support to all Outlook for Mac versions, including Outlook 2016 for Mac. The tool provides the easiest way to retrieve the inaccessible Outlook for Mac data.
You may better understand the OLM to PST conversion process by going through the steps of the tool.
- Run OLM to Outlook PST tool and use the Browse or Search (for automatic search in the selected system drive) option to add the desired number of OLM files for conversion purposes. Click Next.
- After scanning the files, select any mailbox item and view its preview. Now, click the Save option.
Note 1: You can save file items in multiple formats by right-clicking and selecting the required option.
Note 2: With the Find option on the Toolbar, you can perform a deep search for any mailbox item using multiple filters and options.
- Choose PST File (MS Outlook) option. Click Next.
- Add filters like email metadata (From, To, Subject), Item Type, and Date Range as required and click Next.
- To manage the converted PST file size, you can use the Split option and also can add a prefix to the store name.
- Browse and add the saving path location for the converted PST file and click Finish.
- The conversion process will get started and soon be completed with a confirmation message.
So, conversion of OLM file to PST file is quite handy with the OLM to Outlook PST converter software. You can now access these PST files in Outlook.
Due to the Mac mail not syncing with Exchange issue, Outlook for Mac users may not have the updated information in their mailboxes. However, this issue can be fixed in many ways – by checking offline mode, rebuilding the Outlook for Mac file, clearing Cache in Outlook, confirming Exchange connectivity, etc. However, if all these methods fail to fix the issue, they can think of recovering Outlook for Mac data. This tool supports all Outlook for Mac versions too. All in all, such dependable and easy solutions make sure that users have their updated mails and can access their Mac Mail contents in the Outlook account.
Q. What is Exchangesyncd on Mac?
A. The Exchangesynced on Mac is an Apple process for easy syncing with Exchange servers for mail, notes, contacts, reminders, calendar data , etc.
Q. How to check if Outlook is connected to the Exchange server on Mac?
A. For checking if Outlook is connected to Exchange on Mac, here are the steps.
- From the Tools menu, select Accounts.
- Seeing the Exchange account in the left side pane. If there is any issue with the connection, the indicator icon will be in orange color.