Import Outlook for Mac OLM Emails to Outlook 2019, 2016 & 2013
Read time 10 min
Microsoft Outlook is the most trustworthy email client that is available in both Windows and Mac OS Operating Systems. The software user interface is adaptive as per the OS environment, and the data file is also different. Windows follows PST (Personal Storage Table), and Mac OS has OLM (Outlook for Mac). When users move from Apple products to Windows, they need to change their data files from OLM to PST because Microsoft Outlook does not recognize OLM files. The article will show how you can import Outlook for Mac OLM emails to Outlook 2019, 2016, and 2013.
If you’re looking for possible ways to import OLM files to the Windows Outlook environment, then you have come to the right place.
As we all know, Microsoft Outlook is the world’s top-rated email client – for both Windows and Mac OS users. So, individuals who rely on OLM emails often need to migrate their OLM data to Outlook.
In MS Outlook 2019, 2016 & 2013 and Outlook 2016 for Mac mailbox items, can be archived easily . The mailbox data is saved in PST file format in MS Outlook and OLM file format in Outlook for Mac. And these OLM data files can be imported to (different versions) MS Outlook.
Reason for importing Mac Outlook files to Windows Outlook
To access Mac Outlook emails in Windows Outlook, you have to convert OLM to Outlook PST file as it cannot be accessed directly. There are multiple reasons for importing data from Mac Outlook to the Windows Outlook platform, which includes-
- OLM emails need to be shared with co-workers who are using Windows systems.
- No direct ways to make Outlook for Mac emails available in Windows Outlook.
- Upgrading or switching system from OS from Mac to Windows.
- Migration from Mac-based organization to Windows-based organization.
- Employees use Windows and Mac systems at different locations.
Try an automated tool Kernel for OLM to PST Converter to import Outlook for Mac OLM file to Windows Outlook.
A simple way to import OLM files to Windows Outlook
A simple step-by-step guide is here to take you through the process of importing Outlook for Mac OLM emails to Outlook 2019, 2016 & 2013.
- Section 1: Export Outlook for Mac data (OLM file)
- Section 2: Converting OLM Files to Outlook PST (By Using Kernel for OLM to PST Converter)
- Section 3: Import PST Files to Windows Outlook
- Section 4: Convert OLM to PST via IMAP Email Server
Section 1: Export Outlook for Mac Data (OLM File)
- Click on the Tools tab, select the Export option to export Outlook data to OLM file format.
Please Note: Don’t see the Export button? Make sure you have the latest version of Outlook.
- In the dialog box Export to Archive File (.olm), select the items you want to export (from Mail, Tasks, Calendar, Notes, and Contacts), and click Continue.
- Now, from the Save Archive File (.olm) as dialog box, look for Favorites in the left pane, choose Downloads folder, and click Save.
- Finally, your data will be exported to the specified location, and you’ll get a notification. Click Finish to complete the final step.
- Move this exported OLM file to the Windows system with the help of an external storage device such as a pen drive.
Section 2: Converting OLM files to Outlook PST
For importing the OLM file data to Windows Outlook, you will first have to convert the OLM to Outlook PST file format. Then, the converted PST file can be successfully imported to Windows Outlook. The best solution to perform the import OLM to Outlook PST is an automated third-party tool. Hence, it is recommended to use Kernel for OLM to PST Converter tool.
- Launch OLM to PST Converter tool and then select Browse to select a single or multiple OLM files that are to be converted to PST file.
Note: If you wish to convert multiple OLM files at one time, select Convert Multiple Files.
- To be satisfied with the mailbox items, you can preview that before conversion. Now, click PST file (MS Outlook) from the right panel of the software.
Note: You can save individual items by selecting the required format from the right-click menu.
Note: To find specific messages, click the Find button on the toolbar. Now, search for specific items in the Find Message(s) window.
- Now, select the Output type as PST file (MS Outlook) and click Next to proceed with the conversion process.
- Opt for smart filters just in case you want to save specific items. This is an optional filter. However, you can simply skip this step.
- Save the converted PST file into multiple PST file if you realize that it is very large. Otherwise, simply select Do not split file option to save the entire data to a single file.
- Finally, select the destination to save the converted file using the Browse button and click Finish.
Section 3: Import PST files to Windows Outlook
- Open MS Outlook and select File.
- Select Open & Export >> Import/Export.
- In the Import and Export wizard, select Import from another program or file, and then click Next.
- Now, select Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next.
- Select the file to import by clicking on the Browse button; under Options select the suitable option and click Next.
- At last, select Import Items into the current folder and click Finish.
Section 4: Access OLM data in Outlook via IMAP email server
There is another way to open OLM files data via the same IMAP Server configuration in Outlook for Mac and Microsoft Outlook. Here, we are assuming that a Gmail account is already configured in Outlook for Mac, and the OLM data is synchronizing with its IMAP server. OLM data has been exported or copied to the IMAP account folder as well.
Note: It is a must to enable IMAP access settings in the IMAP Server account (Gmail) in advance for configuration with Outlook for Mac or Microsoft Outlook. For IMAP Server configuration with Outlook for Mac, there is a need to create a new Gmail Label too.
Follow the below steps to understand the process better
- Open Outlook 2016 on your Windows system.
- Configure the same IMAP email account (Gmail) in MS Outlook using Account Settings.
- After setting up the account, transfer Outlook for Mac data items to the IMAP mailbox through Copy & Move or Drag and Drop action.
- When the OLM file’s data is transferred to your IMAP account, it will automatically appear in Outlook.
That’s the simplest way of accessing OLM data with MS Outlook 2016 for Windows.
The manual processes are time-consuming, require a lot of settings, and are not fruitful at times. So, make a wise choice from the two explained methods to access OLM data in Microsoft Outlook.
The entire procedure to import Outlook for Mac OLM emails to Outlook 2019, 2016 & 2016 PST files is discussed here in detail. Simply perform the steps and transfer emails, contacts, calendars from Outlook for Mac to Windows Outlook. Also, you can take a look at the steps to Export OLM to Office 365 Manually.
Video Tutorial to Perform OLM to Outlook PST Conversion