Outlook for Mac is the MS Outlook equivalent for the Mac environment. It works like MS Outlook, though it saves its data in OLM format which is completely different form the PST format used by MS Outlook.
For Outlook for Mac users, it is easy to import a PST file into their application. But it is difficult for them to export their Outlook for Mac emails to PST format so that they can be accessed in MS Outlook in Windows environment. We will discuss how Outlook for Mac users can import PST file and export OLM files to PST format.
If you want to repair damage OLM file and convert OLM to PST file, please try OLM to PST Converter Tool
How to import a PST file to Outlook for Mac?
For transferring messages and other items from a Windows Outlook to Mac Outlook, users can use the import feature of Outlook for Mac. The steps of this process are discussed below (which apply to Outlook for Mac 2011):
- Transfer the PST file to your Macintosh system.
- On the Outlook for Mac File menu, select Import.
- Select Outlook Data File, and then click the right arrow.
- Select Outlook for Windows Data File, and then click the right arrow.
Import Windows Outlook file to Mac Outlook
- Locate the data file on your computer, and then select Import.
- Once the import process is complete, select Done. The imported items will appear in the navigation pane listed under On My Computer.
How to export OLM files to PST?
At times when a user needs to access the Mac Outlook data in Windows Outlook, then the OLM files require to be converted to PST format. OLM files can be converted to PST manually, the procedure for which is a bit lengthy. The method is given below:
- Begin by creating an IMAP Account
- Setup the IMAP account in Outlook for Mac as well as Outlook.
- Move Outlook for Mac emails to IMAP Mailbox
- Then, move the data from IMAP Mailbox to Windows Outlook
Export OLM files to PST more easily
The manual process that you have just seen, is quiet lengthy and time consuming. It is not a direct method too. So it is not easy to access OLM files in MS Outlook. For an easy way out, Outlook users can try a third-party OLM to PST converter tool like Kernel for OLM to PST. In comparison to the manual method, the conversion is less time consuming and easy while using this tool.
Accessing Outlook for Mac data in MS Outlook when it uses Exchange account
When the Outlook for Mac is a client of Exchange, its data is available on Exchange Server too. MS Outlook can be configured to connect to this mailbox from Windows environment. In that case, Outlook users can access the Outlook for Mac data directly.