Read time 5 minutes
Summary: SharePoint 2016 enhances security and connectivity, enabling hybrid environments with on-premises and online servers. New features include central administration, faster site creation, larger file support, mobile-friendly sites, improved resource management, and enhanced sharing. Key considerations before migration involve auditing content, choosing a migration strategy, prioritizing data security, understanding migration requirements, and performing post-migration tasks for a successful transition. Kernel Migrator for SharePoint is recommended for smooth, error-free migrations.
SharePoint 2016 has advanced security measures, aligning it more closely with SharePoint Online, and enhancing connectivity. This enables the establishment of a hybrid environment, allowing seamless collaboration between on-premises and online servers. The updated server facilitates the integration of on-premises farms with Microsoft 365 productivity tools. Additionally, it introduces novel compliance features, such as document deletion and in-place hold policies.
Read Also: How to Migrate SharePoint On-premises Content to Microsoft 365?
New features that are presented in SharePoint 2016
- Central administration is not accessible on every server; instead, it resides on the initial server within a server farm. If you need to set up central administration on additional servers, you can achieve this by navigating to the Central Administration > System Settings page or by using the SharePoint Products Configuration wizard.
- SQL Server now offers new templates for quicker site creation, streamlining the process and reducing back-and-forth interactions between SharePoint and SQL Server. Utilizing the SPSiteMaster cmdlet facilitates rapid creation of site collections and sites.
- Enhanced functionality in document libraries allows for image and video previews when hovering the mouse pointer over them.
- Prior versions of SharePoint servers had limitations, restricting file uploads and downloads to files under 2,047 MB. However, with SharePoint 2016, larger files can be managed, and you can configure size settings at the SharePoint farm level for each web application.
- SharePoint sites are now optimized for mobile viewing, enabling users on mobile devices to easily navigate by clicking on tiles and links. Additionally, users have the flexibility to switch between mobile and PC views.
- Project managers can request additional resources from resource managers, aided by the new heat map feature that identifies where resources are dedicating more time.
- Sharing capabilities have been enhanced, offering improvements in folder sharing, member collaboration, invitation emails, and streamlined access request processes with one-click email responses for acceptance or denial.
Key Points to Remember Before Migration
To fully embrace the enhanced capabilities of SharePoint 2016, users are required to undergo an upgrade process to SharePoint 2016 and execute the migration of their data. It is imperative for users to exercise caution during this process, as oversights could lead to migration failures or data loss incidents. Therefore, it is essential to consider the following key points before embarking on the migration to SharePoint 2016.
- Auditing the Content for Migration Prior to initiating the data migration process to SharePoint 2016 or any alternative platform, it’s imperative to gain a clear understanding of the essential content that requires migration. You can apply the 80/20 principle, which suggests that the majority of users typically engage with only a small fraction of the available content. Therefore, prior to commencing the migration, it is advisable to conduct a thorough content analysis and make informed decisions regarding which data should undergo migration. This approach not only streamlines the migration process but also conserves time and effort while minimizing potential confusion.
- Deciding on the Migration Strategy Choose your migration approach, which can be categorized as manual, automated, or hybrid (a combination of both automated and manual methods). The manual approach entails data copying, which is straightforward but can become tedious when dealing with a substantial volume of data. Automated migration employs free utilities or third-party tools. Meanwhile, the hybrid migration strategy blends manual and automatic steps. Preparing a migration strategy in advance is a prudent choice to expedite the migration process.
- Making Security the Top Priority Data security should be a top priority, as it can be jeopardized when employing manual migration methods. This is a critical concern, as migration failures can adversely impact the overall quality of the migration process. However, professional solutions have been proven to prioritize data security adequately.
- SharePoint 2016 Migration Requirements It is essential to be well-informed about the installation and configuration prerequisites associated with SharePoint 2016, particularly when planning the migration from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2016, which involves a two-step migration process, with SharePoint 2013 serving as an intermediary stage. To facilitate this migration, ensuring that the system has adequate resources is crucial. In the event of creating a new SharePoint farm, it is imperative to meet the full hardware requirements. Additionally, careful consideration of audit and legal requirements is essential when deciding between SharePoint Online and SharePoint on-premises.
- Perform Post-migration Tasks The importance of post-migration tasks should not be underestimated. Inadequate execution of these tasks, particularly in manual migration scenarios, can lead to potential data loss and compromise data integrity. To guarantee a successful migration, users must meticulously assess linkages, user rights, and related elements.
While upgrading to SharePoint 2016 migration may initially appear straightforward, it can turn into a debacle if essential considerations are overlooked. Achieving a seamless migration to SharePoint 2016 hinges on meticulously addressing the points outlined above. Therefore, it is prudent to carefully undertake preparatory measures prior to embarking on the migration process. Additionally, it is advisable to explore reliable migration tools to facilitate a smooth and trouble-free transition.
When discussing automated migration solutions, Kernel Migrator for SharePoint emerges as a reliable choice. This tool enables seamless migration across various SharePoint versions, including 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019, and SharePoint Online (O365). Moreover, it streamlines migrations for OneDrive, Google Drive, and Office 365. Notably, all migration processes are executed with precision and without errors. An outstanding feature is its ability to perform direct migrations between different SharePoint versions, eliminating the need for intermediate steps. To learn more about this SharePoint Migration visit the website.
The article examines key considerations prior to migrating to SharePoint 2016 in order to facilitate a smooth and efficient transition. These considerations prove invaluable, streamlining the migration process and reducing potential complexities. Additionally, it strongly advocates the adoption of an automated migration solution for users seeking a seamless transition from SharePoint 2010 or SharePoint 2013 to SharePoint 2016.