Read time 7 minutes
SharePoint is a browser-based Content Management System that closely integrates with many Microsoft applications, including MS Office. Due to its flexibility and highly customizable nature, the new-age organizations are enthusiastic about SharePoint. Also, the pay-as-you-use model of cloud platforms is an attraction to many small and mid-sized organizations as there is no need for a huge initial investment in infrastructure.
Try Kernel Migrator for SharePoint, SharePoint Migration tool to migrate SharePoint content from On-Premises SharePoint Server to SharePoint Online.
Microsoft has declared that over 200,000 business organizations use SharePoint, with 190 million active users. It is increasing day by day too. What are the reasons for its popularity? Some of the most common usages of SharePoint are:
- Document Management – In SharePoint, users can store, share, and manage various e-documents and records. It allows real-time collaborative editing too. Its versioning feature ensures that no work is lost or damaged because of collaboration.
- Intranet and Social Network – Communication through the intranet portal of SharePoint is a secure way of sharing enterprise information and applications. It improves employee engagement and centralizes process management. The employees can share crucial information without the danger of any security breach.
- Collaboration – SharePoint has some amazing collaborative capabilities. External as well as internal users can use these features to improve productivity.
- File Hosting Service – OneDrive for Business comes within the SharePoint environment and saves documents. It is a cloud storage space from Microsoft to facilitate collaboration. OneDrive can be synced to your PC as well.
- Custom web applications – SharePoint provides capabilities for the custom developments of web applications. With this, a user can upload, edit, or access files over the intranet.
- Integration with Office 365 Products – SharePoint, being a Microsoft product, integrates well with Office 365 and other Microsoft products like MS Teams, MS Office, etc.
- Periodic Updates – Microsoft periodically updates SharePoint with new releases and versions, adding more features and improving existing features. This makes sure that you have an advanced collaboration platform with you.
Due to the benefits of SharePoint for businesses, many users want to migrate to SharePoint and that’s why Microsoft provides a special tool that can allow migration between the SharePoint accounts. Also, the tool provides migrations using JSON or CSV files for bulk migration.
To ensure seamless migration, Microsoft offers a freely downloadable tool to SharePoint users. It lets you migrate data from on-premises SharePoint document libraries and file shares to SharePoint Online.
Migrate SharePoint Server Data Using Migration Tool
Before SharePoint Migration tool download, just go through the basic pre-requisites:
- CPU: 64-bit 1.4 GHz 2-core processor
- RAM: 8 GB
- Local Storage: 150 GB free space
- Operating system: Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7 updated or better
- .NET Framework 4.6.2
Migrating On-Premises SharePoint Server Data to SharePoint Online
Now, follow the step given below for migrating your on-premises SharePoint data to SharePoint Online (Office 365).
- Download, install and launch the tool and click Next.
- Type your Office 365 credentials – username and password. Click Next.
- Select SharePoint on-premises as the source.
- Enter on-premises SharePoint Server site URL – this is the source where your data is stored/located.
- Enter the credentials of the SharePoint Server.
- Select the data you want to migrate.
Finally, click Next.
- Now, enter the URL of the SharePoint Online site – your data will be migrated to this site; click Next.
- You can add multiple tasks with Add a task button. Click Migrate and initiate the process of migration.
- You can save the task report in CSV format when the migration gets completed. The migration task can be paused and resumed at any time.
Migrating data from file share to SharePoint Online
The tool can easily migrate data from your file share to SharePoint Online. Here are the steps that you can use to perform the migration efficiently.
- Launch the tool and provide the login credentials.
- Now, select the source and destination:
- Select File Share as the source and enter the folder that is to be migrated
- Enter the SharePoint Online site URL where you want to migrate your data
- Choose the document library from the drop-down list and click Add to add the task
- You can also add multiple tasks using the Add a task button
Click Migrate to initiate the process.
- Lastly, the migration process gets completed showing the following details. Save the task report if required.
Thumbs up!!! You have migrated your data successfully to SharePoint Online.
The migration of data to SharePoint Online is a complicated process, but you can do it using Microsoft SharePoint Migration Tool. Also, there are many professional tools that make this tedious task easy and effortless. The most recommended tool is Kernel Migrator for SharePoint tool. It is a superb SharePoint Migration tool that is quick and easy to use. It has a variety of features for migrating SharePoint on-premises data to SharePoint 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019 version or SharePoint Online (Office 365).