Read time 4 min
Organizations and businesses hold certain events and meetings as a part of corporate governance and branding. Calendar feature is specially designed in email clients like Microsoft Outlook to mark the date for a particular meeting or event to be held. Such events can be created in the Calendar along with the details like title, description of the event, venue details, and other information. Once a Calendar event is created, it can be shared easily within the organization through the Share Calendar option.
Sharing Calendars is an option in the email client application so that multiple users can be updated easily. In this blog, we will discuss the process of sharing Microsoft 365 Calendars using Outlook.
As we know, the Outlook email client allows the configuration of email servers, IMAP servers, and platforms like Microsoft 365. We shall configure Microsoft 365 account in the Outlook email application first and then try to share Calendars.
Having completed the Microsoft 365 account configuration in the Outlook application, we can now focus on sharing Microsoft Calendar with other Outlook users.
Steps for Sharing Office 365 Calendar Using Outlook
- Start the Microsoft Outlook application.
- Click on the Calendar icon (bottom left of the page).
- Go to the Home menu and click on the Share Calendar option.
- From the drop-down list, select the Calendar that you want to share.
- Click the Add option on the Calendar Properties dialog box.
- On the Add Users dialog box, you can either search for the particular Outlook user from the address box or type the email address in the provided space and then click OK.
- Now, move to the Permissions tab and select the added username or email address that you want to share the respective Calendar. From the Permissions section, select one of the permissions as per the requirement and then click OK.
- Can view when I’m busy – Allows to view availability
- Can view titles and locations – Allows to view subject, availability, locations of events/ meetings
- Can view all details – Allows to view complete details
- Can edit – Allows to edit the Calendar details
- Delegate – Allows delegating the Calendar permissions to another user
- Once the above step is performed, an email with the Calendar sharing invitation is sent to the Outlook user selected in the 6th step.
- The recipient user must click on the Accept link from the received email to view the Calendar event on his Calendar list.
Note: If a user does not want to continue sharing the Calendar, then he can easily stop sharing by selecting the shared calendar name from the Calendar Permissions property and clicking on the Remove option from there.
Important Considerations to Avoid “This calendar can’t be shared” Error in Outlook
- Check the validity of the email address
- Check if the email address is from Microsoft 365 Group (it must not be)
There is another way to share Microsoft 365 Calendar to Outlook by publishing it to a web page.
To publish a Calendar, users must have a web server supporting WebDAV protocol (World Wide Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning). For its information, you can take guidance from the Internet Service Provider or the Server Administrator.
How to Publish a Microsoft 365 Calendar?
Follow the process to publish a calendar to a web page.
- Launch the Microsoft Outlook application.
- Go to the Calendars and then from the Home menu, click on Publish Online and then select Publish to WebDAV Server option.
- Provide the WebDAV Server path location in the Location box, use provided publishing options, and click OK.
- Now Microsoft 365 Calendar is published to a Web page with all details to be viewed by the Outlook and other users.
Note: Publishing a Calendar would not allow sharing updates to the Calendar once it is published.
So, these are the possible manual ways to share Microsoft 365 Calendar to Outlook users.
However, many Office 365 users want a permanent backup of Office 365 data, including calendars. For this, we propose all the best Microsoft 365 backup solutions – Kernel Office 365 Backup and Restore that performs the most reliable and secure Microsoft 365 backup to Outlook PST file. It also performs the restoration of PST files back to Office 365.
The facility of sharing Office 365 Calendar provided by the Outlook application is discussed in the blog with explanations. The blog also recommends a solution to backup Microsoft 365 data, including Calendar.