Read time: 8 minutes
While remote work isn’t a new concept, the way we operate has undergone a dramatic shift. Technology has enabled unprecedented connectivity, allowing us to work from virtually anywhere. However, it also presents challenges for organizations.
Explore the benefits and challenges of remote work with us. Discover how Office 365 can assist in overcoming these obstacles. Stay tuned for more insights!
Benefits of Working Remotely with Office 365
Beyond being a collection of productivity tools, Microsoft 365 is a comprehensive platform that empowers businesses of all sizes to achieve their objectives. Here are some of the advantages of remote work with Office 365.
- Access to mailboxes – With Microsoft 365, you have the flexibility to oversee your mailbox data, including emails, calendars, and contacts, from any location and device. This ensures seamless connectivity, even when you’re working outside the office.
- More productivity – Utilizing Office 365 tools for remote work enhances productivity. Office 365 empowers individuals to work from any location, at any hour. Additionally, you can customize your work environment to align with your preferences, leading to increased productivity.
- Connectivity with co-workers – Feeling isolated from colleagues is a common challenge in remote work, but Office 365 tools offer a solution. They enable seamless connection with your team, allowing real-time messaging, face-to-face video conferences, and collaborative project work through team sites.
- Savings on time and money – Remote work not only saves you time and money but also eliminates the need for costly travel and accommodation expenses, especially with Microsoft 365. Additionally, you can save valuable time by avoiding traffic hassles and enjoying the flexibility of working in a more adaptable environment.
Remote Working Challenges
The challenges associated with remote work can be categorized into three primary groups: technical, human, and organizational.
- Ensuring a reliable internet connection – Maintaining a dependable and secure internet connection stands out as a crucial technical challenge in remote work. It is vital for accessing the necessary tools and resources essential for carrying out your tasks effectively.
- Managing device compatibility issues – Another technical hurdle encountered in remote work involves compatibility issues with devices. This becomes particularly critical when you’re using a device that doesn’t align with the necessary software or hardware required for your job.
- Dealing with technical difficulties – Managing technical challenges is a common aspect of remote work. These difficulties can span from account login issues to resolving software or hardware malfunctions.
- Managing work-life balance – One of the most common human challenges of working remotely is managing work-life balance. It will not be easy for one to strike a balance between work and life when you are working from home.
- Staying motivated and focused – Another human challenge of working remotely is staying motivated and focused. One can easily get distracted when you are working from home, which can make it difficult to get work done.
- Dealing with isolation – When you work remotely, you need to deal with isolation. This can be an issue if you are not used to working by yourself or if you do not have much contact with other people during the day.
- Creating structure and routines – One of the most common organizational challenges of working remotely is creating structure and routines. It is hard to stay on track and get work done when you are not in an office environment.
- Managing communication – Another organizational challenge of working remotely is managing communication. The challenge is to keep everyone on the same page when you are not all in the same place.
- Ensuring team cohesion – Managing remote teams is also a challenge. It can be difficult to build and maintain relationships with your team members when you are not working face-to-face.
Overcome Remote Working Challenges with Office 365 Tools
So, how can you overcome the challenges of working remotely with Office 365 tools? Here are some tips:
- Keeps data synchronized across devices – One of the benefits of using Office 365 tools is their seamless data synchronization across all your devices. This enables you to begin work on a document using your laptop and seamlessly continue from where you left off on another device such as a tablet or smartphone. To do this, simply sign in to your Microsoft 365 account on all your devices and make sure that the “Sync” setting is turned on.
- Deals with application or software glitches – Addressing software glitches is a frequent challenge in remote work scenarios, often caused by factors like incompatible software versions or outdated drivers. Office 365 tackles this problem by ensuring that you consistently have the most up-to-date versions of all software and applications installed on your devices. Moreover, it is advisable to export emails from Office 365 to Outlook for your convenience.
- Connecting with colleagues and co-workers – In a traditional office setup, connecting with colleagues is effortless, but it becomes more challenging in remote work environments. To bridge this gap, it’s crucial to stay connected with your team through communication platforms like Skype for Business or Microsoft Teams. Additionally, consider participating in virtual networking events and joining online communities related to your industry to maintain professional connections.
These challenges are common in remote work scenarios with Office 365 tools. Although they may appear daunting, several strategies can help overcome them, as mentioned earlier. Additionally, there are various Office 365 Collaboration tools available to effectively address these issues.
Office 365 Collaboration Tools
There are a variety of different Office 365 collaboration tools available, each designed to help teams work together more effectively.
- SharePoint Online – SharePoint Online is a cloud-based document management and collaboration platform. It allows users to securely store, share, and edit documents online. SharePoint offers additional capabilities such as team sites, enterprise content management, and social networking.
- Skype for Business – It is a communication and collaboration tool that has features like instant messaging, video chat, and audio calls. Skype for Business also offers features such as screen sharing and web conferencing.
- Yammer – Yammer is an enterprise social networking platform. It allows users to create groups, post updates, and share files. Yammer provides attributes such as integration with other Office 365 apps and tools and mobile apps.
- Office 365 Groups – Office 365 Groups is a collaboration tool that allows users to create and manage groups of people. Groups can be used for tasks such as project management, brainstorming, or interaction between colleagues. Office 365 Groups even can add members from outside your organization and offer integration with other Office 365 apps and tools. Further, what if your Office 365 Groups become inaccessible, no problem! We are here to help you recover deleted Office 365 groups.
- OneDrive for Business – OneDrive for Business is a cloud-based storage platform. It allows to store documents, photos, and other files online. Moreover, OneDrive has features such as file sharing and synchronization.
- Exchange Online – Exchange Online is a cloud-based email and calendaring platform. It allows to send and receive emails, schedule meetings, and set up tasks and reminders. Exchange also offers features such as the ability to access email from mobile devices and integration with other Office 365 apps and tools.
Remote Working Priorities to Consider for your Business
- Security – When you are allowing employees to work remotely, it is important to consider security. You will need to implement policies and procedures to help keep your data safe and secure.
- Productivity – Another important consideration when allowing employees to work remotely is productivity. You will need to make sure your employees are able to stay productive when working from home. There are many advanced tools and strategies you can use to help with this.
- Communication – When employees are working remotely, it is important to make sure they can stay in communication with the rest of the team. There are a number of communication tools available in Office 365, such as Skype for Business, which can help with this.
- Flexibility – Finally, when you are implementing remote working policies, it is important to be flexible. Employees’ needs will vary, and you will need to make sure your policies are able to accommodate these differences.
Office 365 backups
Once you’ve navigated the challenges and successfully set up your Office 365 system, it’s crucial to centralize all your data backups. Ensuring security, synchronization, accessibility, and storage in a unified location is paramount with the Kernel Export Office 365 to PST. With this software, you can take an unlimited backup of your data.
You can automate the backup process using the built-in CSV file. The software’s intelligent filters allow you to select specific data by Date, Folder, Item Type, and more. Additionally, the tool stores the entire folder hierarchy separately in a designated folder, ensuring easy access to the required data later. These features collectively make this backup software an excellent choice for safeguarding your Office 365 data.
If you’re seeking a solution to offer greater flexibility to your employees while safeguarding your company data and systems, remote work with Office 365 could be the solution. With careful planning, you can address the challenges of remote work and reap the benefits, such as a productive and content workforce.
This tool ensures the safety and security of your data while working from any location globally. Reach out to us today to discover how our backup solution can enhance your business productivity, even with employees spread across various time zones.