Office 365 group offers the best meeting point for the team member of an organization. You can share resources, share ideas, brainstorm about challenges and their possible solutions, and much more. You can create an Office 365 group only when you have such plans of Office 365 which include Exchange Server Online and SharePoint Online. Due to the usability of Office 365, the data stored in it is always quite important for the business, and you cannot afford to lose it at any cost.
In case, the Office 365 group is deleted, then you do not need to panic. Microsoft uses a “soft-delete” policy for Office 365, where it does not delete the group permanently, but you can easily restore the group.
NOTE – You can restore the Office 365 group within 30 days of deletion.
An administrator can use the retention policies and retain and restore the following content:
- Complete Team information
- Entire Planner details
- SMTP address of the group
- SharePoint sites and files
- Exchange Server message, contacts, and calendar
- Complete Azure Active Directory (AD)
Manual Process to restore the deleted Office 365 Group
You can easily restore the Office 365 group within the Office 365 Admin Center with the help of following steps:
- Login to Office 365 with the Administrator credentials.
- Click Admin icon in the menu list.
- Under the recipients category, go to the groups tab.
- In the list of Office 365 group, if any group is deleted, then its Status will display brief information about the deletion.
- Now, click the restore icon from the toolbar.
- A pop-up message will give you information about the changes after restoring the group.
- As soon as the office 365 group is restored, its status will change to Active.
Using this simple procedure, you can easily restore the Office 365 to Active status. After the 30-day retention period, the group will be deleted permanently along with all its messages. That’s why it becomes mandatory for you to constantly save the content from Office 365 group to a secure location, so that it does not get deleted accidentally. To take a backup, you can try the manual saving or use a professional Office 365 backup & restore tool to conduct the job easily.
Kernel Office 365 Backup is a simple and efficiently designed tool which can access each mailbox from Office 365 account and save it in a PST file. It also retrieves the content from Office 365 group and places it in a PST file. Let’s go through the backup procedure of Office 365 to PST using Kernel Office 365 Backup tool –
- In the home page, click the Add button to add an Office 365 mailbox.
- Input the Office 365 credentials. If you want to take a backup of multiple mailboxes, then use an administrator account which has complete authority over the other mailboxes. Then select “List All mailboxes using above credentials” and then click Get User Mailbox(es) button.
- After selecting the desired mailboxes, click the Add button.
- The tool will show you the selected mailboxes. Click Set Filter and Migrate.
- From a drop-down list, you can select amongst Mailbox, Archive mailbox, and Public Folder. After making your selection, click Migrate button.
- The next page will provide multiple filter options which you can apply as per your requirement (Date Filter, Item Type Filter, Exclude Deleted Folder, Exclude Empty Folder, Save All data hierarchy in a new folder, Set Operation timeout, & Skip previously migrated items). After completing the filter options, click I am OK, Start Migration.
- Select the destination folder and click OK.
- As soon as the migration completes, a message is prompted. Click OK.
- Click Save reports to CSV option to save the complete migration report in a CSV file. Finally, click OK.
Office 365 Group is an advantageous feature for organizations. When you are using Exchange Online and SharePoint Online, then the groups become quite vital for sharing useful message, ideas, and resources. So, you should use the Kernel Office 365 Backup tool to save the complete information saved in Office 365 mailboxes, including the Office 365 Groups. You can save the information in the PST file which is instantly accessible in Outlook.