Office 365 and MS Outlook are the most widely used email client across the globe. However, in the growing popularity of the cloud, users are migrating their data to cloud-based Office 365. But, have you ever wonder what if users have lost their entire emails from Office 365 account, and you have no data left in your backup? This guide will explain you, how one can export emails from Office 365 to Outlook PST manually using eDiscovery PST export tool.
Primary reasons to export emails from Office 365 to Outlook PST?
Though there can be many possible reasons to export emails to Outlook PST from Office 365. But the primary reasons are:
Let’s discuss each one in detail:
- Backup: Cloud-based Office 365 is a convenient email client to store emails and other data online. However, it has many disadvantages too. In cloud platform, data loss chances are more regarding account taping, hacking, network packet analysis, etc. as compared to a desktop email client such as Outlook. Hence, to keep your data safe, taking backup of Office 365 emails is a best practice.
- Archiving: As far as archiving is concerned, there is a huge difference regarding storage capacity as Cloud services come with subscription packages. If you’re running out of storage, either you need to upgrade your cloud subscription for more storage or to delete mailbox data to get more free space.
The manual approach to export emails from Office 365 to Outlook:
Before proceeding, make sure your system meets the following system requirements:
- Should have 32/64 bit versions of Windows 7 and later versions.
- Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5
- Web browsers should be any of these: Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) and later versions or Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox along with ClickOnce add-in installed.
- Sign-in to Office 365 with valid admin credentials.
- Then, go to Admin center, and click on Exchange.
- Now in the Exchange Admin center, navigate to Permissions > admin roles and select Discovery Management.
- Under Discovery Management, add Mailbox Import Export role, add yourself by using the plus button and click on Save.
- Now back in admin center, go to Compliance Management and opt for in-place eDiscovery & hold.
- Here you will see a + sign. Just click on it to create a new search query by providing the name and description of the search query and click on Next to proceed.
- Now under Mailboxes, opt for any of the following options as per your requirements and then click Next.
- Under Search query, give the details for searching items and click on Next.
- Now in the In-Place Hold settings, you can perform in-place hold of Search items.
- Finally, click on the Compliance management and hit the arrow button to export the Office 365 emails to Outlook PST. It will download a PST Export Tool to export the PST tool.
- To save the exported PST file, one can browse the location in eDiscovery PST Export Tool. And click start to begin the process.
- It will ask you to provide the Office 365 credential to complete the process. And click close once the process gets done.
- Here you can access your PST file by adding it to an existing Outlook profile in MS Outlook.
Drawbacks of manual approach:
There is some drawbacks of manual approach are listed below:
- The manual method is a much-complicated task.
- It has a very lengthy and tedious process to export emails from Office 365 to Outlook.
- It is not friendly to non-technical users.
- It requires proper technical knowledge to perform the migration task.
An alternative approach to export emails from Office 365 to Outlook:
As we discussed the drawbacks of the manual method above, it is challenging for non-technical users to perform such lengthy and complicated task. Therefore, it is advised you to choose third-party tool such as, Kernel Office 365 Backup to export entire Office 365 mailboxes to Outlook swiftly. The tool requires less technical knowledge to operate it. Hence, non-technical users can efficiently operate this Export Office 365 to PST tool without any technical assistance.
The process of exporting the emails from Office 365 using the Export Office 365 to PST is following –
Step – 1. Start the software and click the Add button to add the Office 365 account.
Step – 2. Input the valid credentials of Office 365 account. Then choose the options to migrate single mailbox or multiple mailboxes (es) using the Administrator credentials. Click Add.
Step – 3. After selecting the account, click the Set Filter and Migrate button.
Step – 4. A drop-down menu will let you select among Mailbox, Archive Mailbox, and Public Folder. After selecting the folder, click the Migrate button.
Step – 5. The Filter Selection wizard will provide a set of useful filters to select the data to migrate –
- Date Filter – Only the data present in this date filter will migrate.
- Item type filter – Only the selected item type (Email, Journal, Task, Contacts, Calendar/Appointment) will migrate.
- Exclude Deleted folder – The deleted folder will not migrate.
- Exclude Empty folder – The empty folder will not migrate.
- Save Data into a new folder – Entire data will migrate in the mentioned folder.
- Skip previously migrated items – Already migrated items will not migrate.
Finally, click the button I am OK, Start Migration.
Step – 6. Browse the destination folder for the new PST file. Click OK after selecting the folder.
Step – 7. The migration will start. After completing a successful migration, the tool will provide a message. Click OK.
Step – 8. You can get a complete migration report by clicking the Save report to CSV option.
The migration report will brief you about the status of each item and its saving location.
In this blog, we have discussed how one can export Office 365 mailboxes to Outlook using manual approach. However, it is very difficult for the non-technical users to opt for a manual method which requires technical knowledge. Hence, we have also suggested a professional solution which is quick, reliable and easy to use.