Free Methods to Convert Exchange EDB to PST File
Read time: 13 min
In an earlier version of Exchange Server like Microsoft Exchange 2007, there were storage groups where the user mailboxes were saved. You could easily create a backup for storage groups and keep them. But after Microsoft Exchange 2010, the storage group were replaced with databases, that’s why it becomes complicated to maintain a brick-level backup of Exchange data.
To solve, the backup issue, Microsoft has issued some other methods in the Exchange framework by which you can convert the EDB files to a PST format for backup purposes.
EDB vs PST File
EDB – An Exchange database (EDB) file stores the multiple user mailboxes created in the Exchange Server. There can be multiple Exchange database files in a single Exchange Server.
PST – A PST file is a container where the Outlook messages and other mailbox items are saved. It is created by default as soon as you create an Outlook profile.
Kernel for EDB to PST Converter is an automated tool to convert online & offline Exchange EDB Files to PST, Live Exchange and Office 365. Download and Save 25 items per folder free.
More about EDB files
Exchange Database (EDB) file is the root file that contains user mailboxes including the folders saved as a B-tree structure.
Priv.edb: it is the EDB file created to save the primary mailboxes. There can be multiple mailboxes in a single EDB file.
Pub.edb: it is the EDB file that saves all the information in the public folder in earlier versions of Exchange.
STM files: STM files reduces the size of the EDB file by keeping the attachments separate from the email messages.
Important information about the EDB files
- To store and retrieve the data from the EDB file, Exchange Server employs Extensible Storage Engine that is also known as the JET Blue engine.
- There are in-built utilities in the Exchange Server like ESEUTIL and ISINTEG that can repair the EDB file for the minor corruptions.
- You can directly export the contents from the EDB files to a PST file by using the New-MailboxExportRequest cmdlets.
Reasons for EDB to PST Conversion
There can be multiple reasons behind an EDB to PST conversion, and some of them are following –
- EDB file has become corrupt, and you want to recover its data
- To reduce mailbox size and to improve server performance
- To save storage space (and avoid extra expenditure on infrastructure)
- Need to backup Exchange mailboxes
- Need to backup some specific mailboxes or emails
- Want to port some mailbox data to another place
- To retain data for legal or compliance requirements
- To reduce the chances of EDB file corruption & Jet errors
There are a few manual methods and one automated tool-based method to convert EDB to PST.
- Convert EDB to PST using the ExMerge Tool
- Convert EDB to PST using Exchange Management Shell commands
- Convert EDB to PST using Exchange Admin Center
- Convert EDB to PST file Using the Free Tool
Convert EDB to PST Using ExMerge Tool
The ExMerge tool will copy the Exchange items to a PST file, which you can later place in the destination Exchange Server. The ability of the ExMerge tool to merge the content of the Exchange data makes it a useful tool for Exchange to PST conversion. However, this method is not useful now as it supports only the older versions of Exchange.
Convert EDB to PST Using Exchange Management Shell
Exchange Management Shell provides a command line interface to access the database, get its status, and make the required changes in them.
To convert free EDB to PST file, use the following commands in a sequential manner
- Run the command to get the list of mailboxes in a database.
Get-MailboxStatistics -Database <DatabaseName>
The command will enlist all the mailboxes present in the database.
- Run the command to export the EDB file to a PST.
New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox <MailboxName> -FilePath \\ExchangeBackup\PST\MailboxName.PST
The command will save the mailbox data to a new PST file. But make sure that the destination folder is a shared folder.
- Run the command to check the status of mailbox export request.
It will provide the status of the export request.
- After completing the export process, cancel the export request by the following command.
Remove-MailboxExportRequest -Identity <Name of the export request>
Using this process, you can export the data from a single mailbox.
Convert EDB to PST Using Exchange Admin Center
This is the most direct method to export an EDB file to a PST file. Here is the process:
- Log in to Exchange Admin Center as an administrator.
- Go to the permissions tab and then click admin roles.
- Under admin roles, go to Recipient Management and click (+).
- Under the Role Group wizard, click the (+) option under the Roles option.
- Select the Mailbox Import Export Role and click the add button. Then click OK.
- Now you can see the Mailbox Import Export role under Recipient Management.
- Now, go to recipients, select mailboxes, and choose any mailbox you wish to export. Then, click more (•••) and select the option Export to a PST file.
- Browse a mailbox which you want to export.
- Provide the path of a shared folder.
- Select a mailbox which will get an email after successful conversion. Finally, click Finish. The mailbox content will be migrated to the PST file.
So, these are the two manual methods which can help in free EDB to PST conversion directly. But you can understand that they are quite complex, especially for busy Exchange administrators who may not get enough time to manage EDB to PST conversion. So, these methods are not suitable for them.
Convert EDB to PST File Using the Free Tool
To, convert your data more efficiently and in complete control, you should use Kernel for EDB to PST Converter tool which is most recommended EDB to PST converter tool by Exchange experts. It can access the offline exchange database and convert its content in multiple formats or directly migrate to different platforms. You can get a glimpse of its functionality in the following process:
- Start the software and you can add the dismounted exchange database using three options:
- Go to File option in menu and click Add Source.
- Click Add Source button present in the tool bar.
- Directly click the Offline EDB option present at the home page.
- The option of Offline EDB file is selected by default. Click Next button to go ahead.
- Click (•••) button and browse the EDB file from its location. There is a special Search button in case you do not know the exact location. The search feature finds the EDB file based on any drive or folder.
- There are two scan modes available to you to select:
- Standard Scan It is suitable for normal scan.
- Deep Scan It is suitable for severely corrupt Exchange files.
- The tool scans the exchange file and add it as a source. Click Finish.
- The EDB file is present at the source list. You can go to any of its folder, select an item, and get its preview. To add a destination, click PST file option.
- If there is an existing PST for the folder, then select the second option of Existing PST file. Otherwise, select the first option of Create New PST File and click Next.
- Provide a suited location to the PST file and create a new name also. Then click Next.
- The PST file is created. Click Finish.
- The conversion part is completely easy with multiple options like drag-&-drop, copy-&-paste, and export. You can go with any method and perform the conversion. After conversion, the tool gets you a complete report with migration status of each selected item.
- You can see the new data in the PST file.
“It is difficult to find a native method that supports EDB to PST conversion in all Exchange versions. But Kernel for Exchange does it. A simple interface, multiple saving options, and precision make it a handy tool for Exchange administers. It supports Office 365 too.”
MVP – Datacenter and cloud management
“Kernel for Exchange Server is a lightweight-weight Exchange recovery tool. Its installation and usage are very simple and straightforward. With multiple licensing options, one can choose the one that meets their requirements. ”
“Kernel for Exchange Server has multiple features that meet the diverse Exchange disaster recovery requirements of administrators. It offers comprehensive Exchange Server recovery in almost all scenarios of EDB file corruption. With minimum system requirements, it supports almost all Exchange versions.”
After getting complete information about both the manual for free EDB to PST converter and automated methods, you can decide to either struggle with exporting single mailboxes one by one or enjoy the smooth migration through Kernel for EDB to PST converter tool. It can also be useful to repair a corrupt Exchange database. Software support Exchange Server 2019, 2016 and all pervious versions. It is a highly business-friendly application which any user from your organization can use and to conduct both recovery and migration efficiently.
A- As an administrator, you should assign the Mailbox Import Export role to the user before starting the export process.
A- Open File Explorer on your Windows 10 system.
Type ‘\localhost’ in the address bar and press Enter.
View all shared folders on your Windows 10 PC.
A- Actually, the ExMerge utility works for the older versions like Exchange 2003 only. So, you should try the other manual options according to the Exchange version. Alternately, you can try Kernel for Exchange Server tool with any version of Exchange Server.
A- Yes, the software will show all the user-defined folders in the mailboxes. It does not interfere with the structure and hierarchy of the mailbox during or after the scan.
A- You may find it challenging to perform these manual methods if you are not technically adept. However, you can try Kernel for Exchange Server for quick and easy EDB to PST conversion.