Free Methods to Convert Exchange EDB to PST File
Read time: 13 minutes
In earlier versions of Exchange Server like Microsoft Exchange 2007, there were storage groups where the user mailboxes were saved. You could easily create a backup for storage groups and keep them. But after Microsoft Exchange 2010, the storage group was replaced with databases; that’s why it becomes complicated to maintain a brick-level backup of Exchange data.
To solve the backup issue, Microsoft has issued some other methods in the Exchange framework by which you can convert the EDB files to a PST format for backup purposes.
EDB vs. PST File
EDB – An Exchange database (EDB) file stores the multiple user mailboxes created in the Exchange Server. There can be multiple Exchange database files in a single Exchange Server.
PST – A PST file is a container where the Outlook messages and other mailbox items are saved. It is created by default as soon as you create an Outlook profile with POP configuration.
EDB to PST Converter is an automated tool to convert online & offline Exchange EDB Files to PST, live Exchange, and Office 365. Download and Save 25 items per folder free.
More about EDB files
Exchange Database (EDB) file is the root file that contains user mailboxes, including the folders saved as a B-tree structure.
In earlier versions of Exchange, the Exchange database files were slightly different in architecture though their function was the same. However, understanding different types of EDB files is very helpful:
Priv.edb: it is the EDB file created to save the primary mailboxes. There can be multiple mailboxes in a single EDB file.
Pub.edb: it is the EDB file that saves all the information in the public folder in earlier versions of Exchange.
STM files: STM files reduces the size of the EDB file by keeping the attachments separate from the email messages.
Important information about the EDB files
- To store and retrieve the data from the EDB file, Exchange Server employs Extensible Storage Engine, also known as the JET Blue engine.
- There are in-built utilities in the Exchange Server like ESEUTIL and ISINTEG that can repair the EDB file for minor corruptions.
- You can directly export the contents from the EDB files to a PST file using the New-MailboxExportRequest cmdlets.
Reasons for EDB file to PST Conversion
There can be multiple reasons behind an EDB file conversion, and some of them are following –
- EDB file has become corrupt, and you want to recover its data
- To reduce mailbox size and to improve server performance
- To save storage space (and avoid extra expenditure on infrastructure)
- Need to backup Exchange mailboxes
- Need to backup some specific mailboxes or emails
- Want to port some mailbox data to another place
- To retain data for legal or compliance requirements
- To reduce the chances of EDB file corruption & Jet errors
There are a few manual methods and one automated tool-based method to convert EDB file to PST.
- Convert EDB file to PST using the ExMerge Tool
- Convert EDB file to PST using Exchange Management Shell commands
- Convert EDB file to PST using Exchange Admin Center
- Convert EDB file to PST file Using the Free Tool
Convert EDB file to PST Using ExMerge Tool
The ExMerge tool will copy the Exchange items to a PST file, which you can later place in the destination Exchange Server. The ability of the ExMerge tool to merge the content of the Exchange data makes it a useful tool for Exchange to PST conversion. However, this method is not useful now as it supports only the older versions of Exchange, which are outdated.
Convert EDB file to PST Using Exchange Management Shell
Exchange Management Shell provides a command-line interface to access the database, get its status, and make the required changes in them. Please make sure that the PST file saving location is a shared network folder.C:\Users\shrishs\AppData\Roaming\Output Messenger\EFAAA\Received Files
To convert EDB file, use the following commands in a sequential manner
- Run the command to get the list of mailboxes in a database.
Get-MailboxStatistics -Database <DatabaseName>
The command will enlist all the mailboxes present in the database.
- Run the command to export the EDB file to a PST.
New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox <MailboxName> -FilePath \\ExchangeBackup\PST\MailboxName.PST
D:\DownloadThe command will save the mailbox data to a new PST file. But make sure that the destination folder is a shared folder.
- Run the command to check the status of the mailbox export request.
It will provide the status of the export request.
- After completing the export process, cancel the export request by the following command.
Remove-MailboxExportRequest -Identity <Name of the export request>
Using this process, you can export the data from a single mailbox.
Convert EDB file to PST Using Exchange Admin Center
This is the most direct method to export an EDB file to a PST file. Here is the process:
- Log in to Exchange Admin Center as an administrator.
- Go to the permissions tab and then click admin roles.
- Under admin roles, go to Recipient Management and click (+).
- Under the Role Group wizard, click the (+) option under the Roles option.
- Select the Mailbox Import Export Role and click the add button. Then click OK.
- Now you can see the Mailbox Import Export role under Recipient Management.
- Now, go to recipients, select mailboxes, and choose any mailbox you wish to export. Then, click more (•••) and select the option Export to a PST file.
- Browse a mailbox which you want to export.
- Provide the path of a shared folder.
- Select a mailbox that will get an email after a successful conversion. Finally, click Finish. The mailbox content will be migrated to the PST file.
So, these are the two manual methods that can help in free conversion directly. But you can understand that they are quite complex, especially for busy Exchange administrators who may not get enough time to manage conversion. So, these methods are not suitable for them.
Convert EDB file to PST File Using the Free Tool
To convert your data more efficiently, you should use converter tool, the most recommended EDB file to PST converter tool by Exchange experts. It can access the offline exchange database and convert its content in multiple formats or directly migrate to different platforms. You can get a glimpse of its functionality in the following process:
- Start the software, and you can add the dismounted exchange database using three options:
- Go to the File option in the menu and click Add Source.
- Click Add Source button present in the toolbar.
- Directly click the Offline EDB option present on the home page.
- The option of Offline EDB file is selected by default. Click the Next button to go ahead.
- Click (•••) button and browse the EDB file from its location. There is a special Search button in case you do not know the exact location. The search feature finds the EDB file based on any drive or folder.
- There are two scan modes available to you to select:
- Standard Scan It is suitable for a normal scan.
- Deep Scan It is suitable for severely corrupt Exchange files.
- The tool scans the exchange file and adds it as a source. Click Finish.
- The EDB file is present at the source list. You can go to any of its folders, select an item, and get its preview. To add a destination, click the PST file option.
- If there is an existing PST for the folder, then select the second option of the Existing PST file. Otherwise, select the first option of Create New PST File and click Next.
- Provide a suited location to the PST file and create a new name also. Then click Next.
- The PST file is created. Click Finish.
- The conversion part is completely easy with multiple options like drag-&-drop, copy-&-paste, and export. You can go with any method and perform the conversion. After conversion, the tool gets you a complete report with migration status of each selected item.
- You can see the new data in the PST file.
After following all the methods to convert the EDB file, you can get the better results and a resultant file in the PST format. But the manual methods cannot convert a large set of data and provide adaptive features like filters, mailbox selection, or create new PST file. Only the converter software from Kernel can repair a corrupt Exchange database and convert it also. Software support Exchange Server 2019, 2016 and all previous versions. It is a highly business-friendly application which any user from your organization can use and to conduct both recovery and migration efficiently.
A- As an administrator, you should assign the Mailbox Import Export role to the user before starting the export process.
A- Open File Explorer on your Windows 10 system.
Type ‘\localhost’ in the address bar and press Enter.
View all shared folders on your Windows 10 PC.
A- Actually, the ExMerge utility works for the older versions like Exchange 2003 only. So, you should try the other manual options according to the Exchange version. Alternately, you can try Exchange Server Recovery tool with any version of Exchange Server.
A- Yes, the software will show all the user-defined folders in the mailboxes. It does not interfere with the structure and hierarchy of the mailbox during or after the scan.
A- You may find it challenging to perform these manual methods if you are not technically adept. However, you can try it for quick and easy EDB to PST conversion.