Attachments are vital to Outlook email communication as this facility helps users to share documents among them. But sometimes email attachments take too much time to open. Though there are different reasons behind the slow opening of attachments, many of them can be solved from the user end itself. Some methods usually followed are:
- Disable the Protected View for Outlook attachments
- Run outlook in cached Exchange mode
- Update MS Outlook
- Run Outlook in Safe mode
- Extract Outlook attachments
Delay in opening the attachments can cause frustration in Outlook users, and also can lead to productivity losses. That is why it is necessary to fix this issue immediately.
If you want to reduce pst file size by removing email attachments, please try Attachment Management
Disable the Protected View for Outlook attachments
If the Outlook attachment that is opening slowly is a Microsoft Office file (usually an MS Word or Excel document), then it is possible that protected view for Outlook attachments is enabled. You can disable the protected view property to open attachments fast in Outlook.
Follow the steps given below to disable the protected view in Microsoft Office word,
- Click on the File menu in the toolbar.
- Now select Options from the given list. It will take you to Word Options.
- In the Word Options dialogue box, go to Trust Center at bottom and click on Trust Center Settings.
- Under Protected View in the Trust Center dialogue box, uncheck the third option Enable Protected View for Outlook Attachments and click OK.
Now Word files will not be protected as an attachment in Outlook application. So it they will be opened faster in Outlook.
Note: You will have to disable the protected view property for every Office application separately.
Run outlook in cached Exchange mode
If you are using Outlook with Exchange account, then it is recommended to enable Cached Exchange Mode. Otherwise opening Outlook attachments may become slower. This is how you can enable it:
- In Outlook, select File>Account Settings> Account Settings.
- Select your Exchange account in the E-mail tab, and click the Change option.
- Check the Use Cached Exchange Mode checkbox and it will enable the cached mode for your Outlook.
- Now, close the Outlook application and restart it.
Update MS Outlook
Users who are using older versions like Outlook 2003 and 2007 may face delay in opening attachments. The newer Outlook versions can handle more emails and their large-sized attachments more effectively than the older versions. So update your Outlook to the latest versions to get rid of slow email attachment opening problem.
Run Outlook in safe mode
Anti-virus program or fire walls may scan emails and cause issues while opening attachments. You can solve this issue by running Outlook in safe mode. This can be done by running outlook.exe /safe in the Run command interface.
Extract Outlook attachments
If you still face delay while opening Outlook attachments, it is better to try an efficient third-party application which can extract attachments from Outlook emails. Kernel for Attachment Management is one such a tool. It can extract attachment from Outlook PST files and save them on user’s hard drive. It can extract attachment from any version of Outlook without making any modifications to its emails. It also keeps a log file to maintain the complete record of attachment management. It can even compress the size of attachment to save the disk space.
- How to Fix “Unable to Open Outlook Attachment” Issue?
- Four simple tricks to reduce the Outlook mailbox size
- How to deal with Outlook performance issues related large PST sizes?
- Cannot See Images in Outlook Emails? This Post Will Definitely Help
- PST Corruption after Moving or Renaming PST file
- How to resolve PST Corruptions?