Those who use Exchange/Microsoft 365 accounts in Outlook might be familiar with the OST file, which is used to store mailbox data offline. In general, an OST file is the copy of mailbox data, which is created automatically on your system. OST files are profile specific, which means they cannot be accessed or read without the original profile. This means if you don’t have access to the specific profile of the OST file, you can neither read it nor import it to any other platform manually.
But, with the help of automated solution like Kernel for OST to PST Converter, you can convert OST files to PST format and access it via MS Outlook. The tool not only imports OST to PST, but it is capable to convert OST to MBOX, PDF, DBX, EML/MSG, etc.
Here, we have highlighted the situations when it becomes crucial to convert OST to PST, as well as we discussed how you can import OST to Outlook 2016 quickly with Kernel for OST to PST Converter.
Reasons to Convert OST to PST File
There could be various scenarios that require OST to PST Conversion. Some of the most common reasons could be:
- When the server is down, and the Outlook OST file is now orphaned, then it is required to convert OST to PST and later import data from that PST file.
- Exchange database files are inaccessible due to corruption or server crash.
- When backing up a few Exchange mailboxes.
- In a scenario when you have decided to close an Exchange account and would like to access those emails later. Before removing the mail account from Exchange, one should export all the mail items to a PST file, which can be accessed then by importing these PST files in an Outlook desktop client.
- As soon as you the tool, you will get this welcome screen, where you can select an OST file by clicking on the Browse button.
- Select the desired OST file and click on Open.
- Once the file , click on the Next button to proceed.
- In the next step, the tool will show you the information about the whole process. Click on the Finish button.
- If you want to have the preview of the files or items, then is the step where you can do it. Just click on the desired file item and have the preview.
- Because you are going to import OST TO Outlook 2016, in this step, you need to select the PST file (MS Outlook) as the saving option and then click on Next.
- Apply filters as per your requirements and proceed by clicking on Next button.
- Here, take the required actions for your PST and click on Next.
- Select the destination path and other requirements, click on Finish.
- Once done, click on Ok.