People who utilize Exchange or Microsoft 365 accounts within Outlook may recognize the OST file, employed for offline storage of mailbox data. Typically, an OST file serves as a duplicate of mailbox data, generated automatically on your system. These OST files are tied to specific user profiles, rendering them inaccessible and unreadable without the original profile. Consequently, if you lack access to the specific profile associated with the OST file, you cannot read it or manually import it into another platform.
However, by utilizing automated solutions such as Kernel for OST to PST Converter, you can effortlessly convert OST files into the PST format, enabling access through MS Outlook. This tool not only facilitates the importation of OST files but also possesses the capability to convert OST file to MBOX, PDF, DBX, EML, and MSG, among others.
In this context, we've emphasized the scenarios in which it becomes imperative to convert an OST file to PST. Furthermore, we've explored the swift process of importing OST files into Outlook 2016 using Kernel for OST File to PST Converter.
Reasons to Convert OST File to PST File
Numerous scenarios may necessitate OST to PST conversion. Among the most prevalent reasons are:
- In situations where the server experiences downtime and the Outlook OST file becomes orphaned, it becomes necessary to perform OST to PST conversion. Subsequently, you can import the data from the PST file to ensure data accessibility.
- Exchange database files are inaccessible due to corruption or server crash.
- When backing up a few Exchange mailboxes.
- In a scenario where you've made the decision to close an Exchange account but wish to retain access to those emails at a later time, it's advisable to export all the email items to a PST file. This can be accomplished before removing the mail account from Exchange. Once the emails are exported to PST files, you can access them by importing these PST files into an Outlook desktop client.
Manual method to import OST to Outlook 2016
When you have established a connection to an Exchange Server account in Outlook 2016, you can import an OST file using the following settings:
- Start Outlook and click File, then choose Account Settings>>Account Settings.
- Go to Email tab and double click on Exchange account.
- Click on Advanced feature and go to Offline folder file option.
- Use the full path of OST file in the field and click OK.
- Click Finish to close the wizard.
- As soon as you install the tool, you will get this welcome screen, where you can select an OST file by clicking on the Browse button.
- Select the desired OST file and click on Open.
- Once the file , click on the Next button to proceed.
- In the next step, the tool will show you the information about the whole process. Click on the Finish button.
- If you want to have the preview of the files or items, then is the step where you can do it. Just click on the desired file item and have the preview.
- Because you are going to import OST TO Outlook 2016, in this step, you need to select the PST file (MS Outlook) as the saving option and then click on Next.
- Apply filters as per your requirements and proceed by clicking on Next button.
- Here, take the required actions for your PST and click on Next.
- Select the destination path and other requirements, click on Finish.
- Once done, click on Ok.