Offline Outlook Data Files or OST are used to store offline data of IMAP accounts and Exchange or Office 365 accounts. OST files are copies of mail items saved on the mail server. Unlike PST files, OST files are not required to be backed up. But OST profiles are profile specific and it is not possible to access or read an OST file without the original profile. However, it is now possible to import or read OST files using professional third-party tools such as Kernel for OST to PST Converter. The tool not only imports OST to PST, but it is capable to convert OST to MBOX, PDF, DBX, EML/MSG, etc.
Following are some of the situations in which converting OST files to PST is helpful:
- When the server is down, and the Outlook OST file is now orphaned, then it is required to convert OST to PST and later import data from that PST file.
- Exchange database files are inaccessible due to corruption or server crash.
- When backing up a few Exchange mailboxes.
- In a scenario when you have decided to close an Exchange account and would like to access those emails later. Before removing the mail account from Exchange, one should export all the mail items to a PST file, which can be accessed then by importing these PST files in an Outlook desktop client.
- As soon as you the tool, you will get this welcome screen, where you can select an OST file by clicking on the Browse button.
- Select the desired OST file and click on Open.
- Once the file , click on the Next button to proceed.
- In the next step, the tool will show you the information about the whole process. Click on the Finish button.
- If you want to have the preview of the files or items, then is the step where you can do it. Just click on the desired file item and have the preview.
- Because you are going to import OST TO Outlook 2016, in this step, you need to select the PST file (MS Outlook) as the saving option and then click on Next.
- Apply filters as per your requirements and proceed by clicking on Next button.
- Here, take the required actions for your PST and click on Next.
- Select the destination path and other requirements, click on Finish.
- Once done, click on Ok.