An Exchange to Office 365 migration is usually performed at the organizational level with Exchange administrators playing a crucial role in it. And end users do not have a major role in the migration. However, there are situations when end users need to have their Exchange mailbox exported to Office 365. Interestingly, end users can export their Exchange mailboxes to Office 365 without any help from the Exchange administrators. Here is a simple way to migrate Exchange mailboxes to Office 365
- Manual Method to Export Exchange mailbox to PST and Import PST to Ofice 365
- Automated Tool to Export Exchange mailbox to PST and Import PST to Ofice 365
How to export Exchange mailbox to PST from Outlook?
The feature to export data to PST is available in the desktop versions of Outlook. However, the steps vary slightly in different versions of Outlook.
How to import mailbox to Office 365 using Outlook?
After exporting your Exchange mailbox to a PST file, you can easily import it to an Outlook account associated with Office 365. To import the PST file, follow the upcoming steps
- Step - 1. Select the File menu from the ribbon, and then click Open & Export> Import/Export.
- Step - 2. in Import and Export wizard, select the option Import from another program or file. Then click Next.
- Step - 3. Select Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next
- Step - 4. Browse and select the PST file and choose the desired option
- Replace duplicates with items imported
- Allow duplicate items to be created
- Do not import duplicate items
- Step - 5. select the folder to which the PST file is to be imported. Click Finish.
Advantages of Professional Export and Import tools
A more straightforward method is to use professional tools like Kernel Exchange Backup & Restore tool which can perform both tasks of saving the Exchange mailbox data in a PST file and later restoring the PST file to Office 365. It conducts the migration safely, quickly and provides a migration report in the CSV format.
Export Exchange Mailbox to PST
- Run the software Kernel Exchange Backup & Restore and select the option of Backup.
- Click the Add button to add the source Exchange account.
- Input Exchange credentials like Exchange Server name or IP address, Exchange Account, its password. Choose the first option if you want to take a backup of a single account only. Then click the Add button.
- After adding the account, click the ‘Set Filter and Migrate’ button.
- Here, you can choose among mailbox, archive mailbox, and public folder as the source folder. Make your selection and click Migrate.
- In the filter selection page, use different filters to the mailbox data and choose only the required data to migrate. Finally, click I am OK, start Migration.
- Provide the destination folder to the PST file. Click OK.
- The migration begins.
- The tool gives a success message after migration completion. Click OK.
- In the last click OK. Also, you can choose to save the report in a CSV file.
Import PST to Office 365 Mailbox
The import procedure is utterly similar to saving the Exchange data. Just follow the steps:
- Start the software and click the Restore button.
- Click the Add button and browse the PST file from its location.
- After selecting the PST file, click the Add button in the destination area.
- Input Office 365 account details and click the Add button.
- Map the source PST and destination mailbox using the drop-down menu.
- Click the Set Filter and Migrate button.
- Select the folder among mailbox, archive mailbox, or public folder where you need to save the PST file content. Then click the Migrate button.
- Select the most useful filters and click the I am OK, Start Migration.
- After migration, the tool provides a success message. Click OK.
- Finally, save the report to a CSV file and click the OK button.
With the help of Kernel Exchange Backup & Restore, you can quickly export your Exchange mailbox data to a PST file and later restore it to Exchange/Office 365 as required. This method is simple and straightforward and works with each version of Exchange Server.