Public Folders in Exchange Server is a special place where a user can put the information to share it with the team members. It is easier and faster than manually sharing with each member. Public folders are available in Outlook hierarchy which makes it easy to share with others. If the administrator turns the public folder as a mail-enabled folder and makes it a member of distribution groups, then any email which comes in the distribution group will also reach the public folder.
For taking a backup of Exchange Public Folder, there is a simple and easy way – save the Public Folder in the PST file using the Outlook.
Export Public Folder to PST Using Outlook
- Start Outlook and click the File option in the menu. Then click the Open & Export option.
- Choose the third option Import/Export.
- Select the option Export to a file and click Next.
- Choose the option Outlook Data File (PST) and click Next.
- Select the public folders for export and click Next.
- Give the location for saving the PST file; also choose any available option to manage the duplicate items. Then click Finish.
After exporting to the PST file, you can go to the location and see the PST file there.
Export Public Folder to PST Using Kernel for Exchange
The above method is perfectly suitable when the size of public folder is also not quite much. But, if you want to export a large amount of public folder data, the process is complex. So, when you need to save the public folder data in the PST file, then use Kernel for Exchange Server Recovery application.
It can not only repair the corrupt Exchange databases but also access public folders from any on-premises account and migrate to PST files.
Here is its procedure to export the public folder data to a PST file.
- Install and run the software. Click the icon Public Folder in the source area.
- Select the option Live Exchange (on-premises). Click Next.
- Choose the option ‘Connect Public Folder.’ Input Exchange Server Name and Mailbox Name. Then click Next.
Note: If a Windows Security pop-up prompts, you need to input the login credentials and click OK.
- Public folder connects with the software. Click Finish.
- Here, you can see all the folders in the public folder, their items, and also their clean preview. After checking the data, click the PST File icon (in the destination area).
- If you want to save in an existing PST file, click the second option of Existing PST file otherwise click Create new PST file. Click Next.
- Browse the saving destination of the PST file and also provide a new name to it. You can also choose to protect it by password giving a password value. Click Next.
- The tool creates a new PST file. Click Finish.
- The method to transfer data from public folder to PST is quite simple. Select the messages, right-click them and choose Copy Message(s).
- Go to the PST section, right-click and click Paste Message.
- After successful migration, the tool provides a migration report depicting the status of the messages. Click Cancel.
- You can see the messages in the PST file precisely in the same way they are in the public folder.
Using Kernel for Exchange Server, you can export public folder data to PST file. It provides multiple destinations like Office 365, Exchange Server (hosted), another public folder, or an Outlook profile for saving your public folder. The tool works for not only a healthy public folder, but you can use it to repair a corrupt public folder EDB file and save its contents.