Office 365 hosts multiple applications like Exchange Online, OneDrive, SharePoint, and more. SharePoint Online is one such service provided by the cloud application through which users can manage all kinds of content and collaborate effectively. Depending on your plan, the allowed storage space of your SharePoint Online will vary. SharePoint Online administrators quite often have to check the storage quota or storage spaces for various reasons. Here, we are outlining some methods to find the storage-related parameters in SharePoint Online.
Check the Storage Space using the SharePoint admin center
In SharePoint, you can get information about the storage space using the SharePoint admin center. Here, is the complete process for doing this.
- Log in to the SharePoint Online as a site administrator or with the required credentials.
- Go to the SharePoint admin center. There, click Active sites on the left panel and choose your site for inspection and click on its URL to open it.
- In the opened SharePoint Site page, go to the left panel and click the Site contents option.
- Next, click Site settings.
- Now, move to the Site Collection Administration category and click Storage Metrics under it.
- Now, you have complete storage information such as Type, Name, Total Size, % of Parent, % of Size Quota, and Last Modified (date and timings) about Site Collection contents.
Note: The maximum storage size limit for a site is 25TB by default. However, you can set it up manually with the following steps.
- In the SharePoint admin center panel, click Settings.
- On the Settings page, click Site storage limits option.
- Switch to Manual option.
- Select the desired site, click on … and choose the Storage option.
- On the Change storage limit page, edit the maximum storage limit for this site by entering it manually and then clicking Save option.
Check Storage Quota Using PowerShell
To get the storage quota in SharePoint Online, you can use PowerShell.
First of all, you require to connect SharePoint Online Site with Windows PowerShell. Let us know about its process.
- Run the Windows PowerShell as administrator by right-clicking it and selecting Run as administrator option.
- Then run this command.
$credential = Get-Credential
A dialogue box with credential req will be opened. Here, add your SharePoint Online user name and password, then click OK.
- Then, to import the Windows PowerShell module, you need to run this command.
- Finally, execute the below command to connect SharePoint Online to PowerShell module.
Connect-SPOService -Url https://”username”-admin.sharepoint.com -credential $credential
- Hence, you have connected SharePoint Online to Windows PowerShell successfully. To check the storage quota of a particular SharePoint site, just run this command next.
You will get information like Site URL, Owner name, and Storage Quota for all sites available in that SharePoint Online account.
So, this was the manual process to get the storage quota in SharePoint Online.
SharePoint Online has certain options such as Storage Metrics through which we can get storage-related information. In the same way, PowerShell also helps in doing this. We have explained the process to get SharePoint quota briefly.