OST files store Exchange mailbox data on user systems, so that the user can access emails even when the Exchange server is not available. Basically, OST file is an offline copy of the user’s mailbox stored on the Exchange server. Just like emails, the contacts of the user are also stored in OST files.
How to export Contacts from OST files to PST?
Sometimes, end users or administrators want to export Contacts from OST files to PST files for various reasons. Here we will discuss how they can easily export Contacts from an OST file to PST file.
- Step 1: Export mailbox as a PST file
- Step 2: Use ‘Archiving’ to save OST emails to PST
There are two methods by which users can export their contacts:
- Manual method (using the Import/Export feature of Outlook)
- Automated method (using Kernel for OST to PST)
Export Contacts using the Import/Export feature of Outlook
The Import/Export feature of MS Outlook can be used to export the contacts to a PST file. However, this method works only when the users are connected to the Server through their Exchange profiles. The steps are:
- Open Outlook and click on File, point to Open & Export, and then click on Import/Export. The Import and Export Wizard appears.
- Select Export to a File, and then click Next.
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next.
- In this step, select Contacts and click Next.
- Click the Browse button, select your file saving location, and then click Finish.
Note: Don’t forget to choose the required options.
- Now you can create a password protected PST by entering a password. Otherwise click Next.
Export Contacts using Kernel for OST to PST
The major drawback of the manual export OST to PST method is that Outlook users need to be connected to Exchange Server through their own profiles. So conversion is not possible when OST files are damaged or when the Exchange Server is down. But third-party tools like Kernel for OST to PST converter can export Contacts from OST files to PST files even in such situations.
Kernel for OST to PST exports Contacts from OST file to PST file quite effortlessly. Users can save these contacts to many other destinations like Office 365, Gmail, MS Exchange server, Novell GroupWise, and Domino Server too. And the export procedure is same for OST files created in any version of Exchange/Outlook.
You can export Contacts from OST file to PST file using the manual method if both Exchange Server & Outlook are working normally. But when Exchange is down or OST file is damaged, using Kernel for OST to PST is the best way to do this.