We will take you through the best 10 video players for Windows Operating System in this blog. There are so many awesome video players available right now that it is not so easy to find the top 10. Anyway, we did do it for you. However, the competition is so tough that we didn’t rate the 10 players among themselves and have left it for you to decide which player is the best for your needs. After all, we all have different preferences for everything. So, here we go.
1. VLC Media Player
We all are aware of VLC Media Player. Created and owned by VideoLAN Organization, this player has been one of the most widely used and preferred media players for the Windows operating system since Windows XP or maybe even before.
- It can play most of the video codecs without any additional codec pack requirement – MPEG-2, MPEG-4, MP3, MKV, WebM, WMV, H.264 and many more
- Many extensions are available to download for additional features.
- It plays not just video files but also discs, live streamings, webcams, and devices.
- VLC is completely free and doesn’t use any spyware.
- With VLC, you don’t need to worry about ads or user tracking.
- It has video/audio filters and also provides subtitle synchronization features.
- Beyond videos, you can personalize it by downloading and adding skins. You can create your own skin using the VLC skin editor.
PotPlayer is another free video player for Windows that is very powerful and loaded with advanced features. It has some very advanced modes and features and also supports almost all file formats.
- It can play 3D Videos, 360-degree output videos, and even 8K videos.
- High graphical clarity with a great performance by using latest drivers and technologies like CUDA, DXVA, and QuickSync
- It supports Top and Bottom, Side by Side, and Page Flipping.
- PotPlayer comes with supported OpenCodec, which makes it easy to download additional codec required to play your video file.
- With PotPlayer, you can choose which sound card to use while playing a video file if you have 2 sound cards.
3. GOM Player
GOM Player and its features are not just up to date but also give a projection of a very futuristic video player.
- It can play 360-degree VR videos and supports 8K resolution videos.
- You can play YouTube videos from your GOM Player.
- The subtitle synchronization feature is very robust. You can even search subtitles from the player as it has a well-maintained database of popular subtitles.
- You can play a file even when it is being downloaded. Not only that, but it can also play damaged files without crashing at the damaged parts.
- Also, check GOM Player Plus, which is a premium version of the GOM player and has various additional features.
KMPlayer is a very popular video player all around the world. Its user base is widely spread geographically. It was launched in 2002 and is now owned by a Korean streaming company named Pandora TV.
- It supports over 41 languages for its users all around the globe.
- It has a video capture feature using which you can capture the video and audio in the format of your preference (including GIF).
- KMPlayer can play 3D, 4K, and UHD videos very smoothly.
- It features ultra-fast mode.
- Users can download videos from YouTube, Instagram, and Daily Motion using KMPlayer.
- Advertisements are one of the annoying parts one has to bear while using this media player.
Kodi, formerly known as XBMC, is not just a video player but is an entertainment hub. It is an award-winning open-source player and is free.
- Kodi can play not just a wide range of video formats but also popular audio formats such as mp3, flac, wav and wma.
- Its GUI is designed for a tasteful viewership and has a very elegant dark theme.
- Its library maintains your collections very effectively by organizing TV shows keeping in mind the episodes and seasons.
- Its JSON-RPC based remote interface makes it the best player for remote controls, playing on web browsers and other third-party tools.
5KPlayer is put slightly later in this list of top video players, but it is not behind the above players in any way. It has all the latest features and a simple yet convenient user interface.
- It smoothly renders all kinds of videos from 8K, 4K, 1080p to a 360-degree video.
- It is not just a video player but also a music player, online downloader, and media streamer.
- It can naturally detect various sound systems such as Dolby, DTS, and RStereo.
- 5KPlayer can download content from all popular platforms such as YouTube, Vimeo, Dailymotion, etc.
- It uses CUDA, AMD, Intel, and DXVA 2.0 Hardware-acceleration features to play your videos with minimal CPU and GPU usage.
- It supports many types of subtitle formats such as .srt, .ssa, .sub, .ass, .aqt, .json etc.
7. DivX Player
DivX Player is one of the software from the three-component suite containing DivX Player, DivX Converter, and DivX Media Server. Its popularity has declined in recent times, but it still is one of the best video players available.
- It supports many video formats, including AVI, MKV, HEVC, and DivX.
- You can cast content to your Televisions or other DLNA-compatible devices using the DivX Player ‘Cast To’ feature.
- It has enhanced audio features, which enables you to switch between different soundtracks to change audio to a different language.
- It uses in-house developed DivX Accelerated-technology to reduce the load on the CPU while playing or converting videos.
Commonly known as MMW, MediaMonkey for Windows is one of the recently emerging video players for the Windows operating system. This software is much appreciated by users who are music lovers and tend to keep their music videos and audios organized.
- It is well suited for managing and automatically organizing movie and music libraries for over a million files.
- It can easily synchronize and backup media content from your configured devices.
- You can not only play but record your own content using MediaMonkey but also burn audio CDs, DVDs, etc. using its integrated burner.
- It can automatically lookup and tag missing metadata for music files such as album art, lyrics, etc.
9. Windows Media Player 12
With WMP12, Windows Media Player had come a long way from the times when users had to look for a video player as soon as their Windows installation was complete. It has taken care of many of the limitations and bugs with the launch of Windows Media Player for Windows 7 and above.
- It can play more media formats than the older versions with its built-in support.
- It is lighter and smoothly plays videos of higher resolutions as well.
- WMP12 library is well equipped to manage your audio and video files and organize them automatically.
- Its online streaming feature is very light and smooth.
- The ‘Now Playing” mode makes it easy for you to switch from video output to the library view and vice versa.
10. Real Player
There were many other contenders that could be part of our top 10 video players list, but Real Player has been included keeping in mind how it has kept on improving and upgrading since it was first launched in 1995.
- Real Player is an all in one player which supports a wide range of video, audio, streaming, playlists, and graphics formats.
- It provides lots of additional plug-ins that are optional but can be downloaded through the player, if needed.
- It has a simple and fast interface that makes it light and easy to use.
All these video players are great for good video experience. However, a corrupt video file can ruin this experience for you. Don’t worry, we have just the tool you need! Try the Kernel Video Repair tool to fix your corrupt video file and enjoy it seamlessly.
This blog was to list down top video media players for you. We explained the unique features of these tools from high performance to low CPU consumption, the best video quality to the best video resolution support, and more. However, none of these video players can help you in playing a corrupt video file. Hence, we suggested using Kernel Video Repair Tool, which is an advanced solution for fixing the corruption in your video file. We hope this blog has helped you.