Read time 6 minutes
Summary: This content discusses the challenges of grainy photos, explaining their causes like poor lighting and camera quality. It provides solutions, including using Photoshop, Lightroom, plugins, and PhotoWorks. Additionally, it introduces Kernel Photo Repair for fixing corrupt or lost images, highlighting its features.
How to Repair Grainy Photos?
You capture moments in photos to immortalize memories and hold onto them throughout your lifetime. However, it’s easy to overlook the potential harm that external factors can inflict on your pictures as you snap them. Upon revisiting those images later, the realization dawns that some mistakes were made, leading to irreversible damage. One common manifestation of such alterations is the emergence of grainy images. If you find yourself with grainy pictures and seek a remedy, let’s delve into the solution right here.
What is Grainy Image?
Digital noise, often referred to as a grainy image, is a form of image distortion caused by various factors. This distortion results in an unclear or unappealing appearance. The term “grainy image” typically describes the presence of minute dots on the image surface, creating a dusty or grainy visual effect.
How Grainy Effect Happens in Photos?
Let’s delve into the causes of grainy images before exploring solutions. Graininess can stem from various factors, and a few of them are outlined below:
- Poor Lighting conditions: Insufficient lighting during photography can lead to a grainy appearance in your images. If you’re capturing photos in low-light conditions, such as a dimly lit room or at night with inadequate lighting, you might encounter the unwanted grainy effect.
- Poor Camera Quality: If your camera is of inferior quality or has relatively fewer pixels, it could adversely impact the image quality, resulting in a grainy effect in your pictures.
- ISO: When you opt for elevated ISO settings during photography, you’re inevitably inviting grainy images. The logic is straightforward: the camera’s higher ISO settings correlate with an increased likelihood of grainy outcomes. Many individuals raise the ISO when capturing images in low-light environments, often referred to as night mode in the camera settings. Therefore, activating night mode or maintaining high ISO settings raises the probability of encountering grainy images.
- Small Camera Sensor: If your camera lacks sufficient light-sensitive areas, the chances of capturing grainy images increase significantly. A subpar or faulty sensor stands out as one of the most prevalent causes of image noise.
How to Fix Grainy Images
There are many ways to smoothen the grainy images; here, we are going to mention the easiest ones so that even the beginners can try and test them to get the desired results.
One can easily repair and restore damaged and lost photos in photoshop. So, one way to treat grainy images is by using Adobe Photoshop, the most popular photo editing app among users. Let’s know how to do it with Photoshop:
- Run Photoshop and add the desired picture to edit.
- Zoom the image by clicking on the magnifying lens available in the editor.
- Now, click on the Filter, and from the Filter menu select the Reduce Noise option.
- Now, keep dragging the pointer on beside the mage’s surface to smoothen it until it is done.
Lightroom is another photo editing product by Adobe, and it is also quite popular among the users. Let’s know how you can fix grainy effect5 with the help of Lightroom.
- Launch Lightroom on your system and select the Develop mode located in the top left panel of the tool.
- Explore the array of options on the tool’s left side, where Detail one awaits. Use the slider to fine-tune the details based on the noise intensity, and make corresponding adjustments to the contrast.
- Confirm the modifications by comparing the edited image to the original, and continue refining the details until you’re content with the result.
Plugins are also very popular and provide an easy way to fix the graininess in the images; there are a lot of varieties of plugins available. You can go for a plugin you are most comfortable with. I personally have heard a lot about Noise Ninja, Photo Ninja and NoiseWare. All these plugins are easily available are very much liked by the other users. Plugins are an easy yet quick way to fix the grainy images. Hope it will work for you too.
PhotoWorks stands out as a photo editing tool celebrated for its user-friendly interface and straightforwardness. If you’re grappling with the challenge of refining grainy images, this tool could be the remedy you’re seeking. Let’s delve into how it operates:
- Run PhotoWorks on your system and add the photo you need to edit.
- Navigate to the Tools tab within the program and opt for the Noise Reduction (Eliminate Digital Noise) feature.
- Zoom in to the image and start sliding the slider which will smoothen your image. Do it until it satisfies you.
- Now compare the original and the edited images for better clarity and finish the process.
What if the Images get Corrupt or lost?
If you are tensed about corrupt images, then we are going to discuss its solution. To fix the corruption in the images or to recover lost images, all you need to do is install Kernel Photo Repair.
It is a third-part automated software that repairs corrupt photos and can also recover lost or deleted images. Let’s know more about the tool:
- Repairs single or multiple corrupt images.
- Repairs any sort of corruption in the images.
- Repair Corrupt JPEG, JPG, BMP, GIF and a lot more files from a wide range of image formats.
- Recovers deleted or lost images.
- Friendly GUI.
- Repairs and recovers file of any size and quality
- Works with all versions of Windows.
The Tool in the process of repairing selected images
This blog delves into the realm of grainy images, exploring their nature, the causes of the grainy effect, and effective solutions for rectifying it. Various manual approaches using photo editing tools are highlighted for enhancing such images. Additionally, we explore the tool’s capacity to repair and recover corrupted or lost images.