Read time: 7 minutes
The content discusses the need for migrating from OneDrive to SharePoint for enhanced security, collaboration, and search capabilities. It outlines three methods for migration: manual transfer, using Power Automate, and a professional automated solution. The Kernel Migrator for SharePoint is recommended for its efficiency. The FAQs provide additional insights on accessing SharePoint in OneDrive, the collaboration between OneDrive and SharePoint, and an easy way to move files between OneDrive accounts.
Having trouble juggling users, documents, and other resources on OneDrive? If you’re seeking an upgraded user experience with enhanced collaboration, compliance, and added features such as team sites and enterprise search functionality, it could be the right moment to think about transitioning from OneDrive to SharePoint.
Explore comprehensive techniques for securely and efficiently transferring your data from Microsoft OneDrive to SharePoint. These methods encompass everything from preparing your files for migration to ensuring a successful transition. Keep reading to discover how to seamlessly navigate through this transition process.
Reasons for OneDrive to SharePoint Migration
So, why do you need to transfer from OneDrive to SharePoint? Here is an expert SharePoint Vs OneDrive comparison below.
- Increased Security: OneDrive falls short of SharePoint when it comes to delivering heightened security and data protection, making SharePoint the preferred choice for securely managing sensitive information.
- Improved Collaboration: SharePoint facilitates enhanced teamwork by enabling teams to collaborate in real time and share files seamlessly across various devices.
- More Robust Search Capabilities: SharePoint boasts a robust search engine that empowers users to swiftly locate pertinent documents and content throughout their entire organization.
- Automated Workflows: SharePoint facilitates automated workflows, enhancing the efficiency of business processes and ensuring timely and accurate task completion.
- Centralized Access Control: SharePoint enables organizations to effortlessly manage access to shared files and documents by implementing detailed permissions tied to user roles or specific individuals.
- Enhanced Compliance & Governance: By transferring data to SharePoint, organizations can ensure compliance with internal policies as well as external regulations such as GDPR or HIPAA compliance with SharePoint.
3 Easy ways for OneDrive to SharePoint migration
Sure thing! Here you go: Discover three straightforward methods for migrating from OneDrive to SharePoint. Carefully follow our step-by-step instructions to complete your migration swiftly. Keep reading to delve into the details.
Method 1: Manual OneDrive to SharePoint migration
The migration process is straightforward if you follow the steps below:
- Log in to OneDrive or click on the Office 365 App Launcher in Office 365 to access OneDrive.
- Next, browse through your files and find the desired files or folders to transfer over to the SharePoint site. Once found, click on Move To.
- You will get a list of sites located under Quick Access for you to choose from as your destination for moving these items.
- Select your desired destination for the items, then hit Move Here to start transferring them over.
Method 2: Using power automate
Searching for a simpler method to shift files from OneDrive to SharePoint? Power Automate proves to be an excellent tool for efficiently accomplishing this task. In this discussion, we’ll explore a specific approach to transferring files from OneDrive to SharePoint using Power Automate.
- To start the OneDrive to SharePoint migration, open Power Automate by accessing https://flow.microsoft.com and tap on “Find a template.”
- Find “Move file from OneDrive” & tap on the “Move file from OneDrive for Business to SharePoint and notify me” template.
- Sign in to your SharePoint, OneDrive and create under the Notifications tab and press “Continue.”
- The page that appears has two flows: “When a file is created” and “Create file”
- Click on the “When a file is created” option to your OneDrive folder.
- To finalize the file transfer, pick the SharePoint site address you want (like SP learning). Then, click through the folder path to choose where to save the file, set a file name, and select the appropriate document content.
- Head to the file you want to remove and then move it over to SharePoint from within OneDrive. Once you’re there, go ahead and choose the “Delete file” option.
- If needed, feel free to eliminate the current “Send me a mobile notification” trigger and introduce a new trigger that suits your preference. After making the changes, click on “Save.”
- Once you get the notification indicating that your workflow is set, choose the “Test” option to initiate the testing phase. At this juncture, you can opt for either automatic or manual testing. Select the manual option and then click on “Save and test” to proceed.
- Make sure everything’s running smoothly by uploading a file from OneDrive. This will help verify the effectiveness and reliability of the flow you’ve set up.
- Once the file transfer completes smoothly, free from errors or complications, the flow status transitions to “Succeeded.” Your file is now readily available in the SharePoint library, automatically preserved through the flow.
Method 3: Using professional automated solution
If the thought of transferring your OneDrive data to SharePoint has crossed your mind, it’s worth delving into advanced automated options. And when it comes to choosing the right tool for the job, here’s the exciting scoop—The Kernel Migrator for SharePoint stands out as a top-notch solution, swiftly handling the transfer of OneDrive data to SharePoint in a matter of seconds.
This migration tool truly stands out due to its exceptional ability to accommodate a diverse array of scenarios, extending far beyond the realm of OneDrive to SharePoint migration. For example, the tool can also facilitate SharePoint to SharePoint migration, data migration between the Google Drive accounts, transferring data between the OneDrive accounts & even SharePoint tenant to tenant migration.
Wrapping up the post, it’s evident that armed with these three methods, you’re well-equipped to initiate the migration journey from OneDrive to SharePoint. While they are all viable options, we believe the SharePoint migration tool is the quickest and easiest way to not only ensure data accuracy but also help in saving your time and effort. So, get ready and download the trial version now.
Q. How do I quickly access SharePoint in OneDrive?
A. Firstly, to quickly access SharePoint in OneDrive, with a right mouse click on “Quick Access” on the file explorer, select the option “Pin current folder to Quick Access”. This will add a shortcut that allows you to easily access your SharePoint files, without having to go through multiple clicks to get there.
Q. How does OneDrive work with SharePoint?
A. OneDrive and SharePoint work together to provide a seamless experience for users. When you save files to OneDrive, you can easily share them with colleagues through SharePoint. You can also sync SharePoint libraries to your OneDrive to access them even when you’re offline. This collaboration between the two platforms makes it easier to work with others in real-time.
Q. What is the easiest way to move files between OneDrive accounts?
A. If you need to move the OneDrive files to OneDrive, there’s a quick and easy way to do it. Simply drag them from your synced OneDrive folder to the synced OneDrive folder. This will move your files seamlessly and keep them organized in the correct location.