Read time 3 min
Once you configure Microsoft Outlook on the system, the Outlook PST data file (PST) get created on the system. The same thing happens even when you create an archive or backup to any of your Outlook account’s mailbox data.
Though not recommended, sometimes PST files are stored in OneDrive. Due to tons of data inside the mailbox, there might be conflicts. For example, because of the large sized PST data file, synchronization time of OneDrive would be longer, and users may receive on-screen messages like Processing Changes, or A file is in use.
Thus, PST data file on OneDrive would be interrupting the work pace and consuming a lot of time. So, it is not recommended to store PST files in OneDrive.
In this article, we’ll show how you can remove an Outlook PST data file from OneDrive and move it to a different folder.
Follow below steps, executing one after the other:
- If Outlook is running, close the application and wait till OneDrive synchronization is complete.
- Navigate the following path/location: C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Documents\Outlook Files.
Note: If you don’t see the PST data file in the above location, you can look for file’s exact path as given below.
- Open Outlook, right-click on the account, a new window would pop-up, here click on Data File Properties followed by clicking on Advanced, and now double-click on the file to get the file address.
- Now, in this step, you have to copy the data file from OneDrive folder and move the file to a new location. Right-click on the PST data file and click Copy.
- Move the PST file to a new path/location on your system but not anywhere inside OneDrive.
For example, C: \ Others.
- Rename the file you have moved to a new location. For example, username@domain_copy.pst
- Now, open Outlook again. Click on File tab and select Account Settings.
- Inside the Email tab, select the appropriate account and click Change Folder.
Note: Sometimes you don’t see the Change Folder button; in such a case, it is possible that your selected Outlook account won’t have a PST file.
- Select the Outlook account and click New Outlook Data file.
- Browse and locate the PST file which you renamed and copied to a different location on your machine (in step 3 & 4). Select the file and click Ok.
- In Data Files tab, select the file location including the string OneDrive, and click Remove; click Yes.
- The Outlook PST data file is disconnected now.
Note: For moving or deleting the OneDrive copy of PST file, you would need to exit Outlook.
It is not recommended to keep Outlook PST files in OneDrive due to technical reasons. It can create performance issues and cause a couple of error messages.