Windows 7, the latest operating system, has eliminated the Windows Sidebar and placed the gadgets directly on to the desktop. In the beta version of Windows 7, eight default gadgets will get installed on installing Windows 7 operating system: Calendar, CPU Meter, Clock, Currency, Feed Headlines, Picture Puzzle, Slide Show, Stocks, Media Center and Weather. They are just as customizable and functions exactly the same as they work in Windows Vista.
Even Windows 7 beta seems far better for most of the functions as compared to its predecessors, but still there are few peculiarities in Windows 7 and gadgets are no exception to this. The gadgets are incompatible with certain User Account Control (UAC) settings. In Windows 7, if you turn your UAC settings completely off, the gadgets get disappeared. To appear the gadgets again on the desktop, you need to turn the UAC settings on.Â It is very much frustrating task to reboot, if you want your gadgets visible on the desktop.
There is a solution for this bug also. Just fix it and have your gadgets even when you keep your UAC turned off. Before performing the below mentioned steps, it is recommended to set a System Restore point or backing up your registry.
- Open the Registry Editor, or regedit.exe.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar\Settings in the Registry Editor
- Right-click and create a new DWORD (32-Bit) Value called AllowElevatedProcess
- Right-click AllowElevatedProcess and click Modify. Now set the value to 1
- Close the registry editor
After performing the above mentioned steps, you can make your gadgets work with User Account control (UAC) settings completely off.