Organizations cannot afford to lose their Exchange data after corruption and server crashes. In most occasions, database corruption occurs without any warning. Though highly efficient solutions are available for Exchange recovery, many administrators like to keep backups for their Exchange data so that they can use them in case of eventualities. Administrators can use the backup feature of Windows Server to backup and restore Exchange data. We discuss its procedure in this two-part article.
- Backup Exchange data using Windows Server Backup (Part I)
- Recover Exchange data from Windows Server backup (Part II)
Backup Exchange data using Windows Server Backup
Windows Server Backup provides Administrators the facility to back up a complete server, selected volumes, or selected folders. Steps to back up the Exchange data using Windows Server Backup are:
- Start Windows Server Backup and select Local Backup. Click Backup Once from the Action pane.
- Select Different Options on the Backup Options page, and click Next.
- Now, select Custom on the Select Backup Configuration page and click Next.
- On the Select Items for Backup page, click Add Items.
- Select the volume(s) to be backed up and click OK.
- The selected volume gets added. Click on Advanced Settings.
- Now go to VSS Settings tab, select VSS full backup and click OK and then click Next.
Note: To exclude file/folder from backup, go to the Exclusions tab; click Add Exclusion, and select the files or folders that are to be excluded from backup.
- Enter the location for storing the backup, on the Specify Destination Type page. Click Next.
- If you select Remote Shared Folder, the Specify Remote Folder page appears. Provide the necessary details and click Next.
Note: If you select Local Drives, the Select Backup Destination page appears, select one from the options available in Backup Destination dropdown and click Next.
- On the Confirmation page, verify the backup settings and click Backup.
- Now the backup process gets started. One can see its status on the Backup Progress page.
- After the successful completion, the details of the backup are displayed.
The Exchange data so backed up can be recovered using the Windows Server backup application when there is a requirement. We will discuss the procedure in the second part of the article.
To know more about Recover Exchange data from Windows Server backups – Part II