Backup is an important activity which ensures the security of data. The same applies to database files of email clients too. Talking about one such an email client, the HCL Notes, its database files have .nsf extension and stores all the Notes data including emails, tasks, contacts, journals, etc.
We received many user queries for the best backup method of Notes NSF file, and we suggested them some solutions individually. To generalize the solutions for more users, we have drafted this blog in which you will get a variety of methods to backup HCL Notes (NSF) file.
There could be many reasons behind the backup of HCL Notes NSF file, which we like to discuss before going to the solutions.
Why to Backup HCL Notes (NSF) File?
The possible reasons for the backup of HCL Notes (NSF) file are chances of file corruption, unmanageable file size, compliance regulations, migration needs, etc.
How Can We Backup HCL Notes (NSF) File?
We are going to list some methods which can help you to back up the NSF files on your hard drive. There are different methods for the backup.
Native Solutions includes the following methods:
- Archiving HCL Notes emails
- Saving Notes emails to EML/HTML/PDF formats
- Exporting Notes emails to CSV file
- Backing up Notes NSF file to PST with Kernel for Lotus Notes to Outlook
Now, let us start discussing the solutions in detail.
- Archiving HCL Notes Emails
A simple method to back up HCL Notes emails is available in Notes itself, i.e., Archiving. Users can archive HCL Notes emails and save them to the system with the same .nsf file extension.
- Start the HCL Notes application. On the menu bar, click on the Actions tab and select Archive > Create Criteria.
- In the Create Archive Criteria window, enter a name for Archive folder under Descriptive name of these archive criteria option, select the checkbox Enable this criteria, and click Selection Criteria option tab.
- Select the NSF files with their folders and click OK.
- You can modify the default location of the archive file under Copy documents into my archive application here, then clean up the application. Go to the Schedule tab on the Archive Settings page and decide the days and time for archiving.
- The last step is to move to the Actions tab on the menu bar and select Archive > Archive Now option. The archiving will get started.
- Saving Notes Emails to EML/HTML/PDF Format
This method can use used to save selected emails from Notes NSF file to file formats such as EML, HTML, or PDF on your system drives. Here is the process.
- Start the HCL Notes application, and move all the emails for the backup to a separate folder.
- Now, drag and drop the emails from the application to a system folder. The emails will get saved with .eml files. Collect them in a separate folder as backup.
- If you want to save these EML files in HTML format, go to your Outlook application and open these EML files there. Then, select these files and move to File > Save as and select the option HTML to save it in HTML format.
It is easy to save the HTML files to PDF format after opening HTML files with the Word application. In the opened Word document, just go to the File>Save As option and select the .pdf format to save the HTML files.
Hence, Notes messages can be saved in all three formats – EML, HTML, and PDF.
- Exporting Notes Emails to CSV File
Launch the Notes email client and open all the NSF files which you want to backup. Go to File > Export option. Provide a saving location for the NSF file and under Save as type option, select Comma Separated Value option and click Export. It will save the NSF files data in CSV file format at the specified location. Later, you can import the CSV file with NSF data into Outlook using its Import/Export feature.
- Backing Up Notes NSF File to PST with Kernel for Lotus Notes to Outlook
This is the most secure and reliable method to back up HCL Notes NSF files. Kernel for Lotus Notes to Outlook exports NSF files data directly to Outlook PST file. It allows adding and saving both local and Domino Server files to PST format. Advanced filter options integrated into this software helps for selective backup of NSF data. Apart from the backup of Notes data to Outlook file, the tool migrates Lotus Notes data to Exchange Server destination as well. Let us check out the local NSF files backup process by Kernel for Lotus Notes to Outlook application. Visit the tool website and install the application on your system. Then perform the following steps.
- Launch the Kernel for Lotus Notes to Outlook application and click on Add Local NSF file(s).
- Select the desired number of NSF files for migration from your system folder and add them for migration.
- To view the preview of NSF file content, select any added NSF file, and click the Preview option.
- The NSF file mailbox will be displayed along with all its mailbox folders. Click any folder item to view its content preview and then click the Back option.
- To start the backup process, click Migrate.
- Select Outlook PST as the saving option and click OK.
- Map and add the destination path for the PST files on your system and click OK.
- Add filters like Split PST, Date Range, Categories, Folder Filters, etc., and click OK.
- Select the desired saving mode, message mark read/unread options, and click OK.
- The backup process will start and get complete soon. Click on the highlighted link to directly access the folder where your backup PST files are saved.
Which Method is Better for NSF Backup?
Now, it is our responsibility to make you aware of the shortcomings of the native solutions to let you decide the best solution. The archiving feature saves the NSF data into a file with the same extension, which can used in the Notes client only and needs conversion further. For this, which we have some free methods to convert NSF files to PST files, but these solutions are unreliable. Also Exporting NSF emails to EML, PDF, HTML, and CSV formats is a long procedure and also deals only with local NSF emails. Also, this method is difficult when there are a large number of emails for backup. So, choose the best solution as per your demands.
All these native solutions for NSF backup are indirect, and so needs technical knowledge for the user; also, they pose a risk of data loss. On the contrary, the Kernel for Lotus Notes to Outlook is a direct solution which converts NSF files to PST without any size limitation. And it has facilities like the preview, filters, and more.