Read time 4 minutes
Summary: SharePoint administrators can add users to SharePoint Online sites by logging in with admin credentials, accessing Site permissions, and using the Share site option to search and add users, Office 365 groups, or security groups. Permissions can be customized, and migration tools are recommended for data transfers.
Managing users is a crucial duty for SharePoint administrators, and among their key responsibilities is the task of adding users to a SharePoint site. In this guide, we will demonstrate how to add users to a SharePoint Online site, noting that this method is also applicable to on-premises SharePoint installations.
How to add users to a SharePoint Online Site?
- Log in to SharePoint Online with administrative credentials. Then, go to the SharePoint admin center and under Active sites, click on the desired SharePoint.
- Now, click the gear icon and click Site permissions.
- The Site permissions dialogue box will get open. Here, click the Share site option.
- Here, you can search and add users, Office 365 groups, or security groups for providing access to the selected site.
Note: If the site is part of the Office 365 group, so the added users would get access to this Office 365 group site only and not to other Group resources (calendars and conversations). You will get the information like this:
You can click on the link add members to the group to add members to it in order to have access to other group resources as well.
- Once desired users are selected for adding to the SharePoint Site, click Add.
- The users will get successfully added to the SharePoint Site. You can decide which permissions to be assigned to the added users (at first, they are Site visitors by default).
- Users with Edit permissions are shown under Site members.
- Users with Full control permissions are shown under Site owners.
This was the method that a SharePoint administrator can follow to add users to a SharePoint Site.
Thinking of Migration for SharePoint?
SharePoint administrators may occasionally need to transfer data from Windows File Servers, Exchange public folders, or a prior SharePoint iteration to their current SharePoint environment. To accomplish this task efficiently, they require a dedicated SharePoint Migration tool. Consider utilizing the migration tool, which offers the following migration capabilities:
There are three complimentary migrations offered by this software:
The application features a user-friendly graphical interface and is compatible with various SharePoint versions, Office 365 plans, and different Windows Operating System editions. To gain a deeper understanding of Kernel Migration for SharePoint and explore its full range of capabilities, simply visit our website and download the demo version. Take it for a spin and discover the unique functions and features this tool has to offer firsthand.