Before delving into the intricacies of SharePoint's public folder functionality, it is essential to have a solid understanding of public folders themselves, SharePoint as a platform, and the significance of utilizing a proficient SharePoint migration tool, such as the formidable Kernel Migrator for SharePoint. Familiarizing yourself with these components not only alleviates any apprehensions you may have regarding SharePoint migration but also empowers you with a robust solution for migrating public folders efficiently.
SharePoint for document management
Large organizations generate substantial volumes of content, encompassing both offline and online documents, reports, and correspondence. Effectively handling this data demands significant time and effort, with a considerable portion of employees investing excessive hours in maintaining spreadsheets, generating reports, and awaiting validation. However, SharePoint stands as a unified platform that streamlines content management with minimal exertion. Developed by Microsoft, it operates as a web-based collaboration solution, bolstering productivity and affording flexibility while upholding complete control over your content management needs.
Here are the prominent features of SharePoint:
- Secure document sharing with your colleagues.
- Better connectivity with each member of the organization.
- You can create a workflow for a process from beginning to end.
- All the components of MS Office are integrated into the SharePoint environment.
- You can create and publish an external website.
When should I migrate Exchange Public Folders to SharePoint?
SharePoint proves invaluable for large organizations due to its robust features, including advanced search capabilities, efficient workflow management, and seamless document handling. When aiming to enhance collaboration within your organization, transitioning to SharePoint becomes a straightforward and highly effective choice.
How to move Exchange Public Folders to SharePoint?
Exchange Public folders serve as repositories for a diverse range of data types, including messages, calendar entries, contacts, tasks, and notes. Consequently, migrating this multifaceted data is no straightforward feat through manual means alone. Nevertheless, there exists a comprehensive procedure that you can undertake to facilitate the migration process. Let's delve into this method step by step:
Step – 1: Create a new PST file in Outlook.
In the Outlook application which is configured with an Exchange account, you should create a new PST file. To create a new PST file, follow New Items>>More Items>>Outlook Data File.
Step – 2: Move public folders data to the PST file
Once you've generated a new PST file, the next step is to perform a manual data export from the Exchange public folder to the PST file. During this process, carefully select the specific items you intend to migrate, leaving out any unnecessary data. One key advantage of copying data from the public folders is that it serves as a valuable safety net. In the event of data loss during the migration due to technical errors, you can easily retrieve the lost information from the Exchange public folder. This Exchange public folder to PST conversion ensures data security and accessibility throughout the transition.
Step – 3: Migrate the PST file to SharePoint
Once you've generated the PST file, which houses the contents from the public folder, it's time to seamlessly migrate this data to your SharePoint account. Begin by launching SharePoint through your web browser and navigating to the specific document library where you wish to deposit the files. Upon accessing the document library, proceed to transform the library's URL into the Universal Naming Convention (UNC) format.
Once the URL has been converted to the UNC format, you can seamlessly map the drive to SharePoint. This is easily accomplished by utilizing the drag-and-drop function from your PST files to the SharePoint library. Following the successful migration of your data, a quick refresh of the document library will reveal your data now conveniently accessible within the list.
The manual process mentioned above may work well for handling small datasets. However, when dealing with substantial volumes of data, it can become inefficient and resource-intensive. To avoid unnecessary time and effort when migrating public folders to SharePoint, it's advisable to utilize a top-notch SharePoint migration tool. This tool will efficiently transfer all your documents and folders, neatly organizing them within your designated folders in SharePoint, ensuring a smooth migration process without any hassles.
Here is the functional process of Kernel SharePoint Migrator to migrate Exchange public folder to SharePoint:
NOTE: You can take advantage of the "Schedule" option to execute the migration at a time that suits your convenience. If you prefer to migrate public folders to SharePoint during periods when you are not actively using public folders, you can simply utilize the scheduling feature.
- Run the software and click the option "Public Folder" menu and select "Public Folder to SharePoint"
- The Public Folder to SharePoint wizard opens up. Click Add Folder(s).
- Select the option "Live Exchange" and click Next.
- Select the Server Name and then the mailbox name from the list.
- Select the option "Public Folder” and click “Select."
- After selecting the public folders, click Next.
- Click the Browse button to browse the selected SharePoint Site and select a destination list, library, or folder.
- Expand the List and Libraries to find the desired location.
- Select the desired folder and click OK.
- Click Next.
- The migrator will first try to map the attributes of the content automatically. It will leave the fields blank if the relevant attribute is not available on the mail. You've to map such blank attributes. Also, you can also modify the already selected attributes. To do this, select the attribute and click Edit.
- Set the value of an attribute with the desired column. Then Click OK.
- After verifying the attribute, the tool will bring to back to the previous content migration wizard, which will display the modified attributes. Click Next.
- Select the desired Copy Option and filters (among Date, File, and User).
- The next window will let you migrate SharePoint permissions easily and user groups. Click Next after checking the required option. There are multiple types of permissions in SharePoint environment and you can migrate each of it.
- To remap, add the source username and the destination username.
- The source and destination user named are listed. Click Next.
- Click "Execute Immediate" option to start the migration instantly.
NOTE: You can also select Schedule option and run the migration at a convenient time.
- A basic summary of the migration will be displayed to you. Click Next.
- The migration starts.
- After a successful migration, the tool will present a migration report with complete information and status of each item.
After employing a combination of manual and automated techniques to migrate the Exchange public folder to SharePoint, the advantages of utilizing SharePoint Migrator become readily apparent. This tool streamlines the entire process, eliminating complexities and providing a remarkably user-friendly interface that guides you through every step of the migration seamlessly. Apart from Exchange public folders, you can use the tool to migrate SharePoint and File System data to the SharePoint.