Read time 8 minutes
Backup & Sync from Google is a 2-way synchronization application that updates Google Drive and the local folder on the computer to keep them updated. Any files added or removed either in the cloud or the local folder get added or removed in the other. The backup and synchronization work for both cloud and system drive data. It is a native way to backup Google Photos locally as well.
This synchronization gets affected by various reasons, and processes get stuck, freezing the synchronization or displaying error messages, which ultimately halts the backup process.
- “There was a problem signing in.”
- “Something went wrong. There was a problem signing in.”
- “Sorry, Backup & Sync needs to quit.”
- “Sorry, Google Drive needs to quit.”
Let us go through some reliable fixes for the “Google backup not working” issue.
Reasons for “Google Backup Not Working”
- Poor internet connectivity
- Improper configuration or settings
- Incorrect account details
- Service outage
- Lack of storage space
- Oversized files or long filename
- Stuck files and folders
- Windows Firewall issues
- Proxy settings
Common Methods to Fix Google Backup Issues
Try these basic fixes to get rid of the “Google Backup Not Working” scenario.
- Reboot the Local System
It is a simple step that can re-establish the connection between the Backup & Sync App for Google and the local system. So, try rebooting the system once to check the differences.
- Restart Google Backup & Sync App
If rebooting the system was not effective, try restarting the synchronized application itself. Follow these steps:
- Go to the lower-left corner of the taskbar on your system, click the “Backup & Sync” application icon, click 3 dots on the top right and select the “Quit Backup & Sync” option.
- The application will be closed.
- Now, search for “Backup & Sync from Google.” Select and click the same to launch it again.
- Confirm if the backup and synchronization are working now.
- Pause & Resume Google Backup & Sync App
When files are stuck, the backup and synchronization processes get halted, and the new data will not be updated. Users can try fixing the problem by pausing the backup & synchronization for some time and then resuming it.
- Click on the App icon and then 3 dots on the top right. Select the “Pause” option. It will pause or hold the backup and synchronization.
- Wait for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Again, click on the Backup & Sync icon, click 3 dots, and then select the “Resume” option to resume the backup and synchronization processes.
- Check the progress of the synchronization.
- Reinstall Google Backup & Sync App
The issue can be due to incorrect installation of the Backup & Sync application as well. So, try reinstalling the application once.
Go to Control Panel and click on the Programs and Features option. Select the Backup & Sync and click on Uninstall to uninstall it from the system.
After the successful uninstallation of the application, go to link https://google.com/drive/download to download and install Backup & Sync on your Windows system again.
These fixes are helpful when you have no success after trying all the above common fixes.
Backup Google Data With Kernel G Suite Backup
Kernel G Suite Backup is an efficient tool to backup G Suite data. You need not worry about any data modifications or deletions when you use the Kernel G Suite Backup tool, which directly backup G Suite Contacts/Calendars, G Suite Gmail, Hangouts Chat, Google Drive data etc.