Read time 8 minutes
Summary: Google Backup & Sync is a two-way synchronization app for Google Drive and local folders. Issues like freezing or errors can disrupt the process. Common fixes include rebooting, restarting the app, pausing and resuming, and reinstalling. Additional solutions involve running as an administrator, checking folder settings, adding the correct account, monitoring file size limitations, modifying proxy settings, and updating firewall settings. Kernel G Suite Backup is recommended for efficient G Suite data backup.
Google’s Backup & Sync is a bidirectional synchronization tool that ensures both Google Drive and your computer’s local folder remain in sync. Whenever files are added or removed in either the cloud or the local folder, these changes are mirrored in the corresponding location. This synchronization process applies to data stored both in the cloud and on your local system drive. It is a native way to backup Google Photos locally as well.
Several factors can disrupt this synchronization, causing processes to become stuck and either freezing the synchronization or showing error messages, ultimately resulting in the backup process coming to a halt.
- “There was a problem signing in.”
- “Something went wrong. There was a problem signing in.”
- “Sorry, Backup & Sync needs to quit.”
- “Sorry, Google Drive needs to quit.”
Let us go through some reliable fixes for the “Google backup not working” issue.
Reasons for “Google Backup Not Working”
- Poor internet connectivity
- Improper configuration or settings
- Incorrect account details
- Service outage
- Lack of storage space
- Oversized files or long filename
- Stuck files and folders
- Windows Firewall issues
- Proxy settings
Common Methods to Fix Google Backup Issues
Try these basic fixes to get rid of the “Google Backup Not Working” scenario.
- Reboot the Local System
Rebooting your system is a straightforward action that can help re-establish the connection between your local system and the Google Backup & Sync App. Give it a try to see if it resolves any issues.
- Restart Google Backup & Sync App
If rebooting the system didn’t yield the desired results, consider restarting the synchronized application directly. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Go to the lower-left corner of the taskbar on your system, click the “Backup & Sync” application icon, click 3 dots on the top right and select the “Quit Backup & Sync” option.
- The application will be closed.
- Next, locate “Backup & Sync from Google” and then choose it to open it once more.
- Confirm if the backup and synchronization are working now.
- Pause & Resume Google Backup & Sync App
When files become stuck, it causes a pause in the backup and synchronization processes, preventing the updating of new data. To address this issue, users can attempt to resolve it by temporarily suspending the backup and synchronization and then resuming these operations.
- Tap the App icon, followed by the three dots located in the upper-right corner. Choose the “Pause” option to temporarily halt the backup and synchronization process.
- Wait for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once more, select the Backup & Sync icon, access the menu with three dots, and opt for the “Resume” choice to recommence the backup and synchronization procedures.
- Check the progress of the synchronization.
- Reinstall Google Backup & Sync App
The problem might arise from an improper installation of the Backup & Sync application. Therefore, consider uninstalling and then reinstalling the application.
Navigate to the Control Panel and locate the “Programs and Features” section. Find “Backup & Sync” in the list of installed programs and choose the “Uninstall” option to remove it from your system.
After the successful uninstallation of the application, go to link https://google.com/drive/download to download and install Backup & Sync on your Windows system again.
These solutions prove valuable when you’ve exhausted all the typical fixes mentioned above and still haven’t achieved any success.
Backup Google Data With Kernel G Suite Backup
Kernel G Suite Backup is an efficient tool to backup G Suite data. You need not worry about any data modifications or deletions when you use the Kernel G Suite Backup tool, which directly backup G Suite Contacts/Calendars, G Suite Gmail, Hangouts Chat, Google Drive data etc.