Read time: 6 minutes
IBM Lotus Notes, which is now acquired by HCL and known as HCL notes, used to be one of the prominent email applications for businesses. Lotus Notes, now known as HCL Notes, is a collaborative and secure client-server software platform. Enterprises use this application to communicate, create discussion groups, share documents, and more.
However, organizations are now moving from Lotus Notes and looking for the best alternatives. The primary reason for moving from Lotus Notes is its complex architecture, which is unsuitable for non-technical users. Another aspect of looking for its alternative is its cost; HCL Notes is more expensive than other collaborative applications available in the market.
So, why exactly do businesses need a replacement for Lotus Notes if it can fulfill all the communication and collaboration requirements?
Why Replace Lotus Notes?
Before we dive deeper into Lotus Notes alternatives, let’s be clear that there is no direct replacement for HCL Notes. Thus, companies looking for a single-to-use platform similar to Lotus Notes won’t find any alternative. However, there are better options, or you can opt for multiple applications to fulfill your requirements.
- HCL Notes/Lotus Notes is expensive and complex to use, which is not ideal for every organization
- It is a proprietary email client and doesn’t work well as other email clients
- Accessibility issues that don’t allow you to open the associated NSF file on another machine/application
- Requires owner permission every time to access the NSF file
- Expensive to maintain the platform for a long-term
- Requires a lot of RAM if you’re planning to use Domino Server as the main server
Above all, users also find it challenging to cope with Lotus Notes UI. Thus, companies need a platform that is easy to access and use.
Alternatives to Lotus Notes/HCL Notes
As mentioned above, there is no direct alternative to Lotus Notes. However, there are many email clients that can serve the purpose of Lotus Notes in your organization. Let’s have a quick look at each of these email clients.
- Microsoft 365
Microsoft 365 is one of the best alternatives to Lotus Notes. Developed by Microsoft, it is a prominent, reliable, and trustworthy platform that can fulfill your business requirements quickly. It provides some extensive features for all businesses based on the subscription plans:
- Allows you to collaborate and communicate with colleagues, customers, partners while giving access to documents and files from any place
- Allows you to work with Office documents on both local devices and cloud
- Gives you the freedom to work from anywhere virtually while utilizing the Office 365-based applications across platforms like desktops and smartphones
- Makes it easy for you and team members to set up and manage all online communities, wikis, and blogs with SharePoint Online
- Communicate with team members across foreign countries with MS Teams without any conflicts
- Offers a hub of applications to help you make your work journey easier
Microsoft 365 is pretty much everything you can ask for. Also, it gives you a choice to select a subscription plan as per your business requirements and budget. You can easily migrate all your NSF files to Office 365 quickly with automated tools.
If you’re looking for an open-source platform that can match the performance of Lotus Notes, then Zimbra is a great alternative. Zimbra offers its unique collaboration suite that gives the same feel as Domino’s server. In addition, Zimbra comprises multiple email server and client components that allow you to create a unique inbox experience. Besides, you can host the email client on the cloud easily.
It gives you multiple advantages that add value to your organization, such as:
- An open-source server with all the documentation and innovation capabilities managed by open-source communities
- Provides compatible email server and client solution as per business requirements
- A cross-platform that supports all the major operating systems, including macOS, Windows, etc.
- Provides functionalities like task management, calendar management, search option, and more
- Integrated with antimalware protection to protect your email and data against cyber threats
You can also opt for Zimbra competitive suite that comes with advanced features, but it will cost you some dollars.
- Google Workspace
Another great alternative to Lotus Notes is Google Workspace that comes with all the features a business need to run their internal operations smoothly. Google Workspace is a SaaS-based platform for business collaboration that is ideal for all types of companies. It offers you the flexibility to integrate other email accounts and run your operations smoothly from one location.
- A comprehensive suite of applications is required for business tasks
- Provides multiple apps like Google Calendar, Gmail, G Drive, Google Docs, Meet, Slides, and many more
- Allows you to make video calls, audio calls, and conference calls with Google Meet
- Zero maintenance costs
- Allows you to choose a plan that satisfies your business needs and objectives
Google Workspace offers a simplistic user interface that can be used by any user. Also, it is quite handy in terms of email, file sharing, and video calling. Furthermore, the subscription plans are less expensive compared to Microsoft 365 and other email platforms.
- Microsoft Outlook
If you don’t want to dive deeper into email collaboration suites and stick to a single application for emailing and data management, then MS Outlook is your best bet. It is a popular email client that is widely used across the globe. It gives you a comprehensive set of features to meet your business requirements, such as:
- Provides a far better and graphical user interface to interact with compared to Lotus Notes
- Allows you to access emails with Outlook desktop application, Outlook Web Access, and Web app
- Offers features like email, contacts, calendar, tasks, follow-up on the same platform
- Gives you physical control over the infrastructure while taking care of the security and management of the server
- Allows you to incorporate other IMAP/POP emails accounts within Outlook
All-in-all, Outlook is a great option and best alternative to Lotus Notes that can provide all the essential features for emailing. Besides, moving from Lotus Notes to Outlook is pretty straightforward. There are some free methods to convert NSF files into PST files.
How to Move from Lotus Notes to MS Outlook?
Moving from Lotus Notes to Outlook is not challenging at all. However, migrating your NSF files to Outlook is the best option if you completely want to move from Lotus Notes.
When it comes to migrating NSF files to Outlook, there aren’t many manual methods. So, you need an automated tool that can quickly migrate NSF files to Outlook. For instance, Kernel for Lotus Notes to Outlook is specially designed to migrate Lotus Notes to MS Outlook. It is an excellent tool with plenty of features and a unique user interface. It is equipped with advanced filtering options allowing you to migrate specific data based on your requirements.
Besides, the tool offers a smooth transition of NSF files to Outlook with a step-by-step process that can be executed by any non-technical user. You can try the trial version of the tool to understand how it works in the real environment.
Moving from Lotus Notes to any other platform is a great choice for any business to save costs and time. You can also consider it as a solution to backup IBM Notes NSF files in a different platform. But, deciding the best alternative to HCL Notes is not that simple; you need to do a lot of research and try different platforms. This article talks about the best alternatives for Lotus Notes and explains how you can move to Outlook with an automated solution.