Read time: 6 minutes
This article discusses the need to transfer files from the cloud-based platform, Box, to a local desktop for various reasons such as offline access, changing business requirements, or backup. It outlines two methods for this task: using the Download option, a manual but straightforward process suitable for a limited number of files, and employing Box Sync, which synchronizes Box data with a desktop folder, allowing offline access but carrying the risk of data loss. The article also mentions a third-party tool, Kernel Migrator for SharePoint, for uploading Box data to Office 365, providing a comprehensive cloud migration solution.
In this rapidly evolving technological era, progress happens at lightning speed. A plethora of cloud services now offer expansive storage, exceptional features, and budget-friendly plans. Among them, Box stands out as a cloud-based solution that streamlines data management, boasting impressive collaborative and security attributes. With Box, users enjoy unparalleled flexibility, enabling seamless collaboration from any device, anywhere, all while preserving the integrity of their work.
Nevertheless, it’s essential to recognize that data stored in the cloud is never entirely impervious to threats such as hackers, intruders, ransomware attacks, and various other malicious activities. As a responsible user, safeguarding your data is paramount. You can do so by either securely storing it on your local system or by transferring it to an alternative cloud platform. If you happen to be a Box user seeking guidance on relocating your files from Box to your desktop, you’ve come to the right source for assistance.
Why transfer files from Box to desktop?
These are many possible reasons behind users opting to move their important files to the desktop:
- To access data during low or no internet connectivity
- Transferring data to another platform
- Plans are no longer supporting user’s business requirements
- A shift in the platform used at the workplace
- To free up storage space in the service
- Additional backup of cloud data, especially vital information
- Reached maximum capacity of the available free storage
Methods to move files from Box to the local system
Two methods can be used to perform the task, and both have been explained in detail below-
- Using the Download option
Files uploaded to the Box platform can be effortlessly retrieved from any device, offering a straightforward and convenient method for both individual files and multiple files simultaneously. This direct approach ensures seamless access and retrieval at your convenience.
Follow these steps to conduct the process:
- Open the official Box website- https://app.box.com/login Enter the correct email address and select Next.
- Enter your password and click on Log In.
- Open the All Files section and locate all the needed files. Or you can use the Search option.
- For a single file, just click on it and it gets highlighted. Click on the Download option.
- For multiple files, hold the Shift key and click on all the required files. Click on Download.
- A single file will be downloaded as it is. While all the multiple files will be downloaded as a zip file. You can access these at any time.
- All the steps involved are manual and time-consuming.
- This method is suitable for a limited number of files only.
- An adequate amount of storage space is needed to download multiple files.
- The download time will be dependent on the size of the folder. A large file would take up to a few minutes to finish downloading.
- Using Box Sync
Box Sync is a versatile tool designed to seamlessly replicate your Box-stored data onto your desktop folder. Any edits or changes you make within this desktop folder are mirrored in your Box account, thanks to its robust two-way synchronization system. This functionality not only ensures real-time updates but also grants you the convenience of offline access to all synchronized folders on your computer.
Follow these steps to install Box Sync and move files to the desktop:
- Log in to your Box account. Click on your profile present in the top right corner and select App Center.
- Search for Box Sync and follow its installation procedure.
- A folder with the same name will start appearing on your desktop.
- In your Box account, right-click on the required folder and select Sync Folder to Computer. It will also start reflecting in the Box Sync folder on your desktop.
- The files in the folder can be copied and pasted to a different location on your system. But they will be removed from the automatic synchronization of data.
- Large storage space is needed to install Box Sync and to synchronize all the folders of the Box account.
- Since the data are synced, a mishap in one location can delete the data from the other one as well. This can cost you valuable data.
- The risk of ransomware attacks is always present.
- It only supports whichever are the last two released versions of the Windows operating system and stops supporting the earlier versions.
The methods mentioned above are the only two workable ones, and both have a few shortcomings. You can weigh both methods according to your organization’s requirements and choose the one accordingly.
Uploading Box data to Office 365
Kernel Migrator for SharePoint serves as an efficient file server to Office 365 migration solution, streamlining the process of transferring Box data from your desktop to Office 365. With its user-friendly interface, the uploading of Box data becomes a seamless operation that can be completed in just a few straightforward steps. The SharePoint Migration tool uploads all the file server data, including synced folders of various cloud platforms like OneDrive, Google Drive, Box, Dropbox, etc., to Office 365. So, it is a complete cloud migration tool.
Box is a user-friendly data management platform that securely stores your data on its cloud storage infrastructure. However, there may come a time when you find it necessary to transfer files from your Box account to your desktop. You have two primary options for accomplishing this task:
Firstly, you can opt to install Box Sync, which facilitates seamless synchronization of your Box folders with a designated folder on your desktop. Alternatively, you can directly download the files to your local machine. Each of these methods possesses its unique features and limitations, and your choice should ultimately hinge on your personal preferences and requirements.