Read time 10 minutes
HCL has recently acquired IBM Notes and several associated services too. Some of the services like SmartCloud went down and others will go offline gradually. It is the high time that businesses move to a more beneficial platform like Office 365 which has zero maintenance, greater security, and larger number of applications. If you are still using IBM Notes, then you can jump to Office 365 along with existing information with the help of this article.
HCL Notes to Office 365 migration
HCL Notes user-interface is quite difficult to operate. So, it is not suitable for novice and non-technical users. It is expensive to purchase, install, maintain. Users need to purchase it individually as it is a standalone application. Many have complaint of synchronization issues between Notes & Server as well which has convinced many HCL Notes users to migrate to Office 365. Also, Office 365 provides more benefits and services than HCL Notes such as less RAM storage, large cloud storage, support to VoIP and PBX technologies, integration of collaboration tools like SharePoint, OneDrive, Skype for Business, Yammer, Teams, etc.
For the users of IBM SmartCloud Notes, since HCL has taken over the collaborative products in IBM’s portfolio, it is going to end the Softlayer Infrastructure under which the SmartCloud Notes comes. So, SmartCloud Notes users also have to migrate to other cloud platforms like Office 365 ultimately. For migration, they can follow the same process as HCL Notes to Office 365 migration.
Try Kernel Office 365 Migrator for Lotus Notes Migrator to Export HCL Notes, SmartCloud Notes & Domino Server files to Office 365. Demo version migrates 10 emails FREE from each NSF to Office 365.
Migration from HCL Notes to Office 365 manually with IMAP Connector
One can migrate from HCL Notes to Office 365 or Exchange manually with the help of IMAP Connector. Below mentioned are the steps for HCL Notes to Office 365 migration:
- Backup NSF files
First of all, backup your HCL Notes NSF files. In case your migration fails and NSF files get corrupt during the migration, you can recover the mailbox data from the backup taken earlier.
- Create new Mailboxes for each NSF user
Now, create new mailboxes at the Office 365 location (with same name as in IBM Notes) for each user who has an account in HCL Notes.
- Enable IMAP TCP/IP port
First, you need to enable the IMAP TCP/IP port for each user account. Just follow the steps mentioned below to do the same:
- Open Domino Administrator in the Lotus Notes Application.
- Go to the Configuration tab.
- Open the Server document which executes the IMAP service.
- Click Ports>Internet Ports>Mail tab.
- In Mail (IMAP) column, change the ‘TCP/IP port value status’ to Enabled.
- Click the Save button to save the changes.
- Synchronize with IMAP Connector
Finally, use IMAP connector to synchronize mailboxes between Lotus Notes and Office 365. There should not be any issue in the connection now.
Drawbacks of Manual HCL Notes to Office 365 Migration
The manual migration process has many drawbacks just like any other manual method-
- The firewall and proxy server of HCL Notes may block the internet connection.
- NSF files which are more than 1 GB in size are not migrated
- Calendar items have to be migrated manually as this method does not support its migration
- It is quite a lengthy and time taking process.
- Allows migration of 15 mailboxes in one go.
- Higher chances of different structure, properties alteration, data loss, and incomplete migration.
- Only a technical expert can perform the migration without any hassle
Note: Another method to move NSF data to Office 365 platform is exporting it to the CSV file format using the Export feature in the Notes application and then importing the CSV file into the Office 365 platform using the Network Upload method which includes the use of SAS URL and AzureAz Copy tool. This method is not recommended and explained since it is complex, lengthy, suitable for only emails, and fails most of the times.
An Easy Method for NSF to Office 365 (Exchange Online) Migration
An easy method for migration from Lotus Notes to Office 365 is available. By using the Kernel Office 365 Migrator for Lotus Notes tool, you can smoothly migrate all the mailbox items like emails, calendars, appointments, drafts, journals, address books, appointments, tasks, attachments, sent items, and calendar without any data loss. The tool shows migration support to all HCL Notes versions and Office 365 plans.
Features of Kernel Office 365 Migrator for Lotus Notes
- Unlimited NSF file migration
One can migrate multiple NSF files simultaneously to Office 365 using this tool. Also, the multiple NSF file migration can be automated with the help of a CSV file if needed.
- Preview of NSF data before migration
The preview option of the tool lets the user verify the content of the selected NSF file even before migrating it.
- Three savings formats
Using this tool, one can save the NSF emails in three different formats TEXT, HTML, and RTF (Low quality & high quality).
- Migrate SmartCloud Notes and Domino Server
Along with local NSF files data, the software allows you to export SmartCloud Notes and Domino Server data to the cloud location successfully.
- Modify folder name before saving
The mailbox folders (Inbox, Sent, Drafts, Trash, etc.) can be renamed before saving to Office 365.
- Intelligent filtering before migration
Notes data can be altered with integrated filter options to move only desired data to the destination.
- Smart and advanced mapping
Source and destination mailboxes for multiple NSF files migration can be facilitated either automatically or in batch with a CSV file easily.
- Impersonation Rights
For Office 365 mailboxes, there is an option of direct assignment of impersonation rights in the migration.
- User-friendly GUI
The tool is designed in such a way that even non-technical user can perform the migration without any assistance.
How to Migrate NSF Files to Office 365 Easily?
Let us understand how to migrate HCL Notes emails to Office 365 in an effortless manner. Use the robust Kernel Office 365 Migrator for Lotus Notes for subtle export of NSF files (both Notes and Domino Server) to Office 365 destination. Follow the procedure in sequence:
- Launch Kernel Office 365 Migrator for Lotus Notes software and click Add Local NSF File(s).
- Browse the number of NSF files to migrate. Selected NSF files will get listed for migration.
- Select the NSF files and click Migrate option.
Note: You can preview the file content by selecting any NSF file with Preview option to view its complete content. Select the data as required and migrate directly from there.
- Provide Office 365 account login credentials. You can also assign Impersonation Rights to the user mailboxes by selecting the checkbox or click the link to know how to assign these rights manually using PowerShell commands. Click OK.
- In the Mapping window, select the second option of Map automatically and click Get Target Mailbox(es) list button. The tool will search all mailboxes of respective Office 365 account and will automatically map such account which have same name as the source NSF file. Then select the NSF file and click Mapping option to manually select the target mailbox.
- The list of target mailboxes is opened. Select your choice and click OK. Similarly, map for other NSF files.
- After all the NSF files are successfully mapped with an Office 365 account, click OK.
- The filter window will appear. You can set date range, email categories, folder mapping and folder filters.
- Select the most suited saving mode and click OK.
- A message will be displayed after a successful migration. Click OK.
Hence, the HCL Notes files are migrated to Office 365 platform.
Software Video Tutorial for Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migration
Due to the complexities of the Domino/Notes applications, many Notes users are migrating to Office 365 cloud. And the same happens with SmartCloud Notes as HCL is going to end this service. As you do not have much time to move your data, use the Kernel Office 365 Migrator for Lotus Notes to migrate the emails to Office 365. With this tool, the Office 365 migration process is similar for HCL Notes and SmartCloud Notes.