Office 365 is getting popular day by day. Organizations are switching over to Office 365 from their on-premises email systems to benefit from its cost efficiency and other advantages like zero-maintenance and universal accessibility. Users of IBM Lotus Notes and IBM SmartCloud Notes are not an exception.
IBM Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration
Lotus Notes is quite difficult to use. So it is not suitable for novice and non-technical users. It is expensive, and cost of maintenance is also high. So it is natural that many Lotus Notes users are eager to migrate to Office 365. Also, Office 365 provides more benefits and services than Lotus Notes.
For the users of IBM SmartCloud Notes, since HCL has taken over the collaborative products in IBM’s portfolio, it is going to end the Softlayer Infrastructure under which the SmartCloud Notes comes. So, SmartCloud Notes users also have to migrate to other cloud platforms like Office 365 ultimately. For migration, they can follow the same process as IBM Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration.
Try Kernel Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migrator to Export IBM Notes, SmartCloud Notes & Domino Server NSF files to Office 365 (Exchange Online). Demo version migrates 10 emails FREE from each NSF and Domino Server to Office 365.
Migration from Lotus Notes to Office 365
One can migrate from Lotus Notes to Office 365 or Exchange with the help of IMAP Connector. Below mentioned are the steps for Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration:
- Backup NSF files
First of all, backup your IBM Lotus Notes NSF files. In case your migration fails and NSF files get corrupt during the migration, you can recover the mailbox data from the backups.
- Create new Mailboxes for each NSF user
Now, create new mailboxes for each user who has an account in IBM Lotus Notes.
- Enable IMAP TCP/IP port
You need to enable the IMAP TCP/IP port for each user account. Just follow the upcoming steps to do the same:
- Open Domino Administrator in Lotus Notes Application.
- Go to the Configuration tab.
- Open the Server document which executes the IMAP service.
- Click Ports>Internet Ports>Mail tab.
- In Mail (IMAP) column, change the ‘TCP/IP port value status’ to Enabled.
- Click the Save button to save the changes and close the application.
- Synchronize with IMAP Connector
Finally, use IMAP connector to synchronize mailboxes between Lotus Notes and Office 365.
Drawbacks of Manual Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migration
The manual migration process has many drawbacks.
- The firewall and proxy server of Lotus notes may block the connection to the Internet.
- NSF files which are more than 1 GB in size are not migrated.
- Calendar items have to be migrated manually.
- The migration process is quiet lengthy and time taking.
- Only a technical expert can perform the migration without any hassle.
An Easy Method for NSF to Office 365 (Exchange Online) Migration
An easy method for migration from Lotus Notes to Office 365 is available. It is by using Kernel Office 365 Migrator for Lotus Notes. This tool can migrate all the mailbox items like emails, calendars, appointments, drafts, journals, address books, appointments, tasks, attachments, sent items, and calendar. Also, it ensures smooth migration without any data loss.
Features of Kernel Office 365 Migrator for Lotus Notes
- Unlimited NSF file migration
One can migrate multiple NSF files simultaneously to Office 365 using this tool. Also, the multiple NSF file migration can be automated with the help of a CSV file if needed.
- Preview of NSF data before migration
The preview option of the tool lets the user see the content of the selected NSF file before migrating it. It helps in verifying the data.
- Three savings formats
Using this tool, one can save the NSF emails in three different formats TEXT, HTML, and RTF (Low quality & high quality).
- Modify folder name before saving
The tool allows users to rename mailbox folders (Inbox, Sent, Drafts, Trash, etc.) before saving to Office 365.
- User-friendly GUIThe tool is designed in such a way that even non-technical user can perform the migration without any assistance.
How to Migrate NSF Files to Office 365 Easily?
Let us understand how to migrate IBM Lotus Notes emails to Office 365 in an effortless manner. Use the robust Kernel Office 365 Migrator for Lotus Notes for subtle export of NSF files (both Notes and Domino Server) to Office 365 destination. Follow the procedure in sequence:
- Launch Kernel Office 365 Migrator for Lotus Notes software and click Add Local NSF File(s).
- Browse the number of NSF files to migrate. Selected NSF files will get listed for migration.
- Select the NSF files and click Migrate option.
Note: You can preview the file content by selecting any NSF file with Preview option to view its complete content. Select the data as required and migrate directly from there.
- Provide Office 365 account login credentials. You can also assign Impersonation Rights to the user mailboxes by selecting the checkbox or click the link to know how to assign these rights manually using PowerShell commands. Click OK.
- In the Mapping window, select the second option of Map automatically and click Get Target Mailbox(es) list button. The tool will search all mailboxes of respective Office 365 account and will automatically map such account which have same name as the source NSF file. Then select the NSF file and click Mapping option to manually select the target mailbox.
- The list of target mailboxes is opened. Select your choice and click OK. Similarly, map for other NSF files.
- After all the NSF files are successfully mapped with an Office 365 account, click OK.
- The filter window will appear. You can set date range, email categories, folder mapping and folder filters.
- Select the most suited saving mode and click OK.
- A message will be displayed after a successful migration. Click OK.
Hence, the Lotus Notes files are migrated to Office 365 platform.
Due to the complexities of the Domino/Notes applications, many Notes users are migrating to Office 365 cloud. And the same happens with SmartCloud Notes as HCL is going to end this service. As you do not have much time to move your data, use the Kernel Office 365 Migrator for Lotus Notes to migrate the emails to Office 365. With this tool, the Office 365 migration process is similar for Lotus Notes and SmartCloud Notes.