Read time 8 minutes
“If you are searching for a smooth and secure way for the migration of Lotus Notes mailboxes to any version of Exchange Server including 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, etc., then read this article.”
IBM Notes application is losing its popularity day-by-day in the era of advanced Exchange Server versions. Most of the IBM Notes users are migrating to other email Servers such as Exchange Server, Office 365, etc. Have a look at the differences between Notes and Exchange Server that are the strong reasons for the migration.
- Cost factor – Installation and running expenses of IBM Notes is quite higher than that for Exchange Server
- Performance factor – Exchange Server has advanced mail handling facilities. But IBM Notes is inferior compared to the latest Exchange versions.
The Preferred Method for Migrations – Manual & Automated
There is a manual solution for migrating the IBM Notes NSF file to the Exchange – the inbuilt utility provided by Microsoft namely Microsoft Transport Suite. This utility is a set of tools for migrating Notes Domino Servers to Exchange Server (2007) location.
Users can download Microsoft Transport Suite for Lotus Domino online and perform these given instructions after the installation.
Note: Download transporter32. msi for 32 bit systems while transporter.msi for installation on 64 bit systems.
- While installing the application, select Transporter for Internet Mail under Microsoft Transport Tools section on the Select Components and Installation page and click on Next.
- Create a CSV file with the following information on your system location.
||User email ID
||IP address or name of the POP Server
||Account username (used for connection to the server)
||Source user password
||Target Email ID
- Click on Add mailboxes in continuation with the procedure, then browse and add this CSV file. Click on Import.
- On the next page, click All mailboxes from the left panel and then go to the right panel and select Migrate selected mailbox option.
- The Internet E-mail Mailbox Migration Wizard will get opened. Under Select Mailbox type section, select POP option. Browse and add the Client Access Server and click on Next.
- Next either you can add a date range or select All email option. Then click on Next.
- Check the summary and finally click on Migrate option to start the migration.
- Once the migration is completed, click on Finish.
The process is feasible but it is a time-consuming method which requires good technical skills to make it work. Also, it can be used with earlier versions of Exchange (2007 and older) only.
Limitations of Manual Method – Microsoft Transporter Suite
The following points clearly suggest why the user should not follow this manual solution to migrate Lotus Notes to Exchange.
- Lengthy, complex, and time-consuming method
- Large mailboxes are not migrated (larger than 1GB)
- Number of emails in mailbox folders should be less than 1500
- Involves risk of data loss during and after migration
- More complex when user requires bulk data migration
- Can migrate older versions of Exchange only (Exchange 2000, 2003 & 2007)
With so many complexities and drawbacks in the manual solution, it is advised to look for a proficient and result-driven migrator software for IBM Notes to Exchange migration.
Try the Professional Tool
It is a reliable third-party tool that delivers the desired data migration from Notes NSF file or Domino Server mailboxes to Exchange. It also can migrate specific data with intelligent filters and folder options. Users can migrate NSF files from any Notes version to Exchange Server (Exchange server 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010 and previous versions) easily.
Some Outstanding Advantages of the Professional Tool:
- Direct migration of local NSF files, Domino Server, SmartCloud Notes mailboxes to Exchange Server destination
- Quick and automated search for Domino Server and SmartCloud Notes in network
- Migration of Notes NSF files to Outlook PST file format easily
- Preview facility of local NSF files content on a selection
- Easy addition of Exchange Server as the destination with login credentials
- Automated source and destination mailboxes mapping through CSV file
- Flexibility in data migration with – date range, categories, and folder filters options
- Full compatibility to all Exchange Server, Notes, Windows, and Outlook versions
Follow the given steps to migrate Notes data to Exchange Server using third party Kernel for Lotus Notes to Outlook/Exchange migration tool.
- Start the installed Lotus Notes to Exchange Server migration software application and click Add Local NSF File(s). (You can also add files from Domino Server by selecting Add Domino File(s) option).
- Select the NSF files from the system drive and click Open to add them.
- The NSF file is added. Select any file and click Preview to view its mailboxes and items.
- Select any file folder item to preview it. If you want to migrate this particular file, click Migrate on the same page; or if you want to migrate all the added files, click Back and then click Migrate.
- Select the saving option as Exchange and click OK.
- Enter the Exchange Server login credentials like domain name, user name, password, then validate it and choose the existing profile and select other options and click OK.
- Next, map the source and destination mailboxes with using Get Target Mailbox List and Mapping options. Once mapped, click on OK. (You can also map using CSV file).
- Apply the filters and other options to move selected data and click on OK.
- Choose the saving format, choose the mark read/unread option as required and click OK.
- The migration process starts and gets completed successfully with a completion message.
Hence, you have tried a swift migration technique for migrating data from IBM Lotus Notes or Domino Server to Exchange organization. The simple steps and GUI of this solution are far more convincing than the complex manual process.
Video Tutorial for Lotus Notes to Exchange Server Migration
Exchange Server covers a larger market share of email servers and offers greater benefits too. The article has given complete and detailed information that how you can achieve a simple migration without compromising with your data. It is natural to use of professional tool and see the benefits. The software can migrate unlimited number of NSF files and connect with online server too.