Read time 9 min
OST files usually go through certain difficult circumstances where their backup is needed; for this, we can try some native solutions which often come with drawbacks. So, the best way is to use Kernel for OST to PST utility to backup all types of OST files efficiently.
As we know that the OST or Offline Storage File is a copy of the Exchange Server mailbox ( in Outlook) that can be accessed and modified offline also. So, whenever a new connection between Exchange Server and Outlook is established, a fresh OST file is created which is saved at the local system folder location – drive:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook or
drive:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. You can also change the location of the OST file in Outlook if there is a requirement.
Scenarios where OST file backup is needed
Now, let us head on to situations where the user has to take the backup of the Exchange OST file.
- OST synchronization issues like data deletion from Exchange Serve would reflect on the OST file data (snow how to resolve synchronization issues with Exchange mailbox).
- Configuring an Exchange account in Outlook requires complex settings and authentications, which calls for a backup for data security and accessibility
- Corruption of OST files due to abrupt shutdown, malware, virus intrusions, hardware issues, bad sectors, software inflictions, etc.
- Unavailability of Exchange Server- down, crashed, or under maintenance
- Need to move OST mailboxes to Outlook application on another system
Challenges with Manual ways
Now that common reasons to backup OST files are clear to users, it is time to understand what challenges or limitations are linked with the manual ways to backup OST files before actually trying them.
- Cannot backup deleted OST mailbox items
- Cannot backup orphaned OST files
- Cannot backup corrupt or damaged OST files
- Chances of incomplete backup with IMAP profile
- Need to backup on the same system on which the OST file is created
- Time-consuming methods
- Need to perform carefully without errors
- Compromise with data security and integrity
Manual ways to backup OST file
After checking out all the limitations of the native methods, if you still want to give it a try, we are describing each method with the required details to back up the OST file.
Drop from OST to PST
In this method, users are required to create a new PST file in Outlook. Once the file is created, and the connection between Exchange Server and Outlook is established, users can easily drag and drop OST data to the newly created PST file.
But, this method is quite slow, unsuitable for bulk data backup, and requires the Exchange Server connection.
Backup with the Import/Export Feature
Outlook Import/Export feature offers to backup Exchange OST file to PST file format via the Export feature but here also, connection with Exchange Server and healthy OST file is required. Here is the completed backup process.
- Launch the Microsoft Outlook application.
- Go to File>Open & Export>Import/Export for Outlook 2013 and above versions.Note: In Outlook 2007, go to File>Import and Export and in Outlook 2010, go to File>Open>Import.
- From the opened Import and Export Wizard, select Export to a file option and click the Next
- From the next wizard, select Outlook Data File (.pst) option and click Next.
- From the Export Outlook Data File wizard, select the OST file root folder, select the Include subfolders checkbox and click Next.
- Click Browse to change the default saving location, choose the option to manage duplicate items, and then click
- Wait for the export to get completed; after some time the OST file will be backed up to PST file format on the system.
Archive OST with the Archive Feature
Outlook offers its users to archive its files, including OST files, to PST at the specified saving path location via the Archive feature within the Cleanup Tools. Let us check out the archiving process with the given steps.
- Open your Outlook application. Click on the File menu and select the Archive option from the Cleanup Tools
- From the opened Archive wizard, select the second option Archive this folder and all subfolders, select the root folder of the OST file. Add date range if you want, select the checkbox as per the need and click the Browse option to provide the saving path for the archived PST file. Click OK.
- The OST file archiving process will start, and the file will get saved at the specified location.
As we have already discussed, it is impossible to backup orphaned, corrupted, inaccessible OST files with deleted items. Let us know about a professional tool that can be helpful in this scenario.
Fix all OST Backup challenges with Kernel for OST to PST
Kernel for OST to PST Converter tool is an advanced tool to recover content from corrupt, orphaned, inaccessible OST files and save selective mailbox data to PST and more locations. It supports bulk OST files recovery with deleted items, offers a detailed preview of selected mailbox items, and restores to PST, Exchange, Microsoft 365, and file formats like MSG, EML, PDF, DBX, MBOX, etc. Check all features of the tool on its official website.
Steps to Backup OST file to PST via Kernel for OST to PST
Back up your orphaned, inaccessible, or corrupted OST file Kernel for OST to PST tool using these steps.
- Install the Kernel for OST to PST tool on your system.
- Launch the software and click the Browse option to browse and add the OST file for backup.Note: You can add multiple OST files also using the second option.
- Once the file is added, click Next.
- The OST file mailboxes will get retrieved with complete content and original structure. Select any mailbox item and have its detailed preview.
- To backup OST data to a PST file, either click on the Save option or click on the PST file option from the left panel.
- Select the PST file (MS Outlook) option again and click Next.
- Apply desired filters on the OST file for backup and click Next.
- Choose Split PST as per size option if needed, add a prefix if needed, and then click Next to continue.
- Click Browse and select the saving path location for the backup file. Choose saving preference and click
- The OST backup will start and show in progress.
- The OST file data is successfully backed up in no time.
OST backup is essential when Exchange is unavailable, synchronization issues occur, OST data needs to be exported, etc. We can deal with this requirement either by adopting manual tricks or using the Kernel for OST to PST tool. The manual methods have many limitations, but Kernel OST to PST doesn’t have.