If you’re thinking to import MBOX files and wonder how you can do that without compromising with your mailbox items, we’ll guide you on how you can import the MBOX file in Mozilla Thunderbird and MS Outlook.
Email Clients like Mozilla Thunderbird, Entourage, Apple Mail & Qualcomm Eudora uses MBOX file format. If you’re moving from any of these listed email clients, then this article would be the right stop for you.
Before we jump on Importing step directly; we first need to figure out the MBOX file location on your system. So, where to find the MBOX file?
MBOX File Location – Windows all Versions
To find the location of MBOX files on your system, follow the steps:
- Launch RUN utility by pressing + R keys together.
- Type %APPDATA% in the run box > press Enter.
- Double-click on Thunderbird folder > Profiles.
Every folder inside the Profiles folder is a profile on your MBOX email client.
Alternately you can go to the path: C:\Users\
Import MBOX File in Thunderbird
Mozilla Thunderbird requires the installation of an add-on using which you can proceed with the import process. After installing ImortExportTools in Thunderbird, you can proceed to import MBOX files to Thunderbird:
- Open Thunderbird, click on Tools, select ImportExportTools, and click Import MBOX file.
- In the pop-up, the option Import directly one or more MBOX file is set by default; click Ok.
- Browse for the MBOX file in the specific location.
- As shown below, after the import you can see all your mailbox items.
The importing steps would be slightly different if you’re a Mac user. Follow the steps below to import MBOX file in Thunderbird on Mac:
- Open Thunderbird for Mac, click on Tools tab, click the Import option.
- In the pop-up window, select Mail option; click Next.
- Select Apple Mail in the dialog box and click Next.
- Upon the completion of the import process, a folder named Apple Mail will be listed in Thunderbird, and you can see all the mailbox items in the left-hand-side of the email client on Mac.
Import MBOX File in MS Outlook
Importing MBOX files or migrating Thunderbird emails to Outlook is a common requirement for many Outlook users. Migration with the assistance of manual methods may sound handy and fuss-free, but it doesn’t hold a guarantee if the mailbox data will remain untouched and there would be no loss at all.
You should not consider manual methods unless you’re geek enough. For example, you can import only a single MBOX file at once. So, if you have to migrate multiple MBOX files, but you cannot. Data loss and vulnerability are other major factors to consider.
But Kernel for MBOX to PST Converter tool helps you in all these circumstances. The tool offers various features like file repair, data recovery, cross-platform migration, filtered migration, etc. Multiple file migration in a single go, live preview, Apple Mail & Thunderbird support, etc. are a few from many salient features of the tool.
If you try to import MBOX file to Outlook without a proper understanding of the steps, you may get stuck somewhere in the middle and possibly risk the integrity of your MBOX file, and then the chances of file corruption also bubble up. So, it is recommended to use a specialized MBOX to PST tool for the task.