Read time 6 minutes
Summary: Microsoft SQL Server, a robust database system, faces competition from cloud platforms like Amazon RDS. The AWS Database Migration Service enables seamless migration from SQL Server to Amazon RDS, supporting various SQL Server versions and editions. The Kernel Migrator for SQL Server offers a secure and efficient homogeneous migration solution.
Microsoft SQL Server has long reigned as the premier database management system suitable for businesses of varying sizes. This robust system optimizes entire business operations and offers top-tier security measures to safeguard your valuable data. Featuring a wide array of tools for data compression, mining, reporting, and overall data administration, it’s a comprehensive solution. SQL Server’s pricing structure is also tailored to be budget-friendly for businesses.
However, the landscape has evolved with the advent of cloud platforms, shifting the balance in favor of online services that minimize expenses related to on-premises resources. Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS) emerges as a notable example in this arena, serving as a web-based database application. Amazon RDS not only provides cost-effective solutions but also scales effortlessly to meet your business needs, making it an enticing choice for forward-thinking enterprises.
Migration From SQL Server to Amazon RDS
Amazon offers outstanding support for migrating databases from SQL Server to Amazon RDS through the AWS Database Migration Service, ensuring a seamless transition.
Here are the Microsoft SQL Server versions which Amazon RDS supports for migration –
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014 RTM.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 RTM SP2 & SP3.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 & SP3.
The editions supported are:
- Express Edition (2008 R2, 2012, and 2014)
- Web Edition (2008 R2, 2012, and 2014)
- Standard Edition (2008 R2, 2012, and 2014)
- Enterprise Edition (2008 R2, and 2012)
AWS Database Migration Service
The AWS Database Migration Service is designed to facilitate rapid and seamless database migration. When migrating from a Microsoft SQL Server source database, it ensures that the source database remains fully operational throughout the migration process, allowing you to continue your work without disruption. You can initiate the migration with just a few simple clicks, as it doesn’t have any specific prerequisites. This service employs two distinct approaches for the migration process.-
- Homogeneous Database Migration
Homogeneous data migration is designed for databases that share compatibility, such as MySQL to RDS, Microsoft SQL Server to Amazon RDS, MySQL to Amazon Aurora, or Oracle to Amazon RDS. In these cases, the databases in question possess similar database schemas, types, and codes. Consequently, the migration process is significantly more straightforward. The migration process begins by establishing a connection between the source SQL Server and the target database.
- Heterogeneous Database Migration
In the realm of Heterogeneous Database Migration, the source and target databases exhibit varying database schema types. These migration scenarios encompass transitions from Oracle to Postgre SQL, Microsoft SQL Server to MySQL, and Oracle to Amazon Aurora. Prior to commencing the migration process, it is imperative to undertake alterations to the schema structure, data types, and database code in order to ensure compatibility. An invaluable tool for this task is the AWS Schema Conversion Tool, specially designed to harmonize the destination database schema with the source database schema.
Kernel Migrator for SQL Server
If you’re considering moving your Microsoft SQL Server to Amazon RDS, you’ll want to pursue a homogeneous database migration approach. This involves establishing endpoints in both databases and preparing the migration environment. For a smoother, more secure data migration experience without unnecessary complexities, the recommended solution is to utilize the Kernel Migrator for SQL Server software.It is a specially designed SQL migration tool to migrate the Microsoft SQL server’s database files (MDF/NDF) to Amazon RDS and Azure SQL Server. Let’s go through its step-by-step procedure –
- Install and run the software. A wizard pops up which lets you select the database file. Click the Browse button.
- After browsing the MDF file, click the Recover button (the recovery option is used to rectify any corruption from the database file. But the healthy database files remain unaffected).
- After retrieving the file, the tool will enlist all the objects, and you can access any object. Finally, select the required objects and click the Migrate button.
- Select the Amazon RDS as the destination server. Input the server name and its credentials. Then click the Connect Now button.
- After a successful connection, the tool will provide a message. Click the OK button.
- Select the database from a dropdown menu.
- After selecting the database, click the OK button.
- After successful migration, the tool will provide a message. Click OK.
Kernel Migrator for SQL Server stands out as the most reliable and secure migration solution for transferring your SQL database to Amazon RDS. This tool streamlines the migration process, ensuring it’s accomplished with the fewest possible steps.