How to Backup Yahoo Emails to PC?
There are various reasons why you would like to back up their Yahoo mails- maybe you want to migrate your correspondence to another platform or email client, or you like the features of another email client more than Yahoo mail. In September 2016, Yahoo revealed that nearly 500 million Yahoo mail accounts were compromised. In the same year, Yahoo again revealed that this time, another hack affected nearly 1 billion accounts. In a situation like this, one would certainly like to migrate to another more secure email client. Whatever the reason may be, you just need the backup of Yahoo email correspondence. If this is the case, then you are in luck!
Ways to Back Up Yahoo! Emails
Now, we will be discussing the easiest ways to export your Yahoo emails. In order to do so, you need to download the Yahoo mails to the local folder of your PC. Yahoo offers IMAP access option so that you can access your Yahoo emails from a third-party application. Two primary methods are listed below in detail:
Method #1: Export Using Microsoft Outlook
Before actually adding the Yahoo email account to your Outlook desktop client, one needs to prepare their Yahoo account.
- Prepare your Yahoo Account: Generate App Password for a Third-Party App
- In Yahoo mail, click on your account picture and click on Account info.
- Select Account Security from the left pane. Select Manage app passwords.
- This should open up a popup window. Next, select Outlook desktop and click Generate.
- This will generate an App password which will be later used when adding Yahoo mail account to the Outlook desktop client. Copy the password and hit Done.
- Setting Up Yahoo Email Account in Outlook 2016/2016/Office 365
- In Outlook, go to the File. Click on the Add Account button.
- Enter your Yahoo email account and click on the Connect button.
- Enter the earlier generated App password in the Password section and click on Connect.
- Click Done.
- Open the Outlook desktop client; then, you should see your newly added Yahoo account in the left pane.
- Export the Yahoo mail Data to your PC
- Go to File > Open & Export > Import & Export.
- Select the second option Export to a file and hit Next.
- Here, select Outlook Data File(.pst) option and hit Next.
- Select the folders to export from and hit Next.
- Browse for the location to save the exported file or use the default location (copy the file path for later use) then enter Finish.
- Paste the earlier copied file path in the file explorer. You can see the newly exported Yahoo mail data file in .pst format.
Method #2: Kernel IMAP Backup
The previous method to backup Yahoo emails to the PC is free but quite lengthy and time-consuming. Hence it is beneficial to go for a third-party tool to save some time. One such competent tool is Kernel for IMAP Backup. This tool can backup single/multiple server mailboxes. One can backup IMAP data to PST, EML, MSG, MHT, HTML, DOC, DOCX & PDF formats. It supports Novell Groupwise, Lotus Notes, Exchange, Office 365 accounts. It offers multiple options such as folder selection, date range filter, exclude a folder, etc. which can be used for selective backup of mailbox data. The tool is fully secure and handles your data with integrity.
Let us now look at the tool process in detail-
- The welcome screen prompts the user to Add mailboxes for backup.
- Next, enter the account credentials and click Add.
- Next, select the Set Filter and Migrate option.
- Select all the desired filters. Next, click on, I am Ok, Start Migration.
- Next, select the file output type for saving the selected IMAP server data.
- Now, provide the file path to save the backed-up IMAP mailbox.
- When the process ends successfully, then a popup window will appear.
A CSV file containing the credentials of all your backed-up IMAP mailboxes will be generated.
We have looked at a manual method to back up your Yahoo correspondences to your PC. It is quite apparent that the method is time-consuming and involves a lot of steps that need to be executed accurately to perform the backup of the Yahoo mails to PC. The next option is to use a professional IMAP backup tool such as Kernel IMAP Backup. We highly recommend this tool for all of your IMAP backup related needs.