Backup Mozilla Thunderbird Emails to Hard Drive
Creating a backup for emails is something Thunderbird users need on many occasions. The main idea behind backing up your Thunderbird emails is to protect your valuable data from unnecessary corruption and hard drive disasters. For instance, if your machine got physically damaged, then the chances are that you would not be able to access your Thunderbird data at all. In such scenarios, if you had created a backup for your Thunderbird emails in an external drive, you can easily retrieve them back on your new machine.
How to Backup Mozilla Thunderbird Emails
There are different methods to backup Mozilla Thunderbird emails to Hard Drive. Manual methods are quite lengthy and complex since Thunderbird doesn’t provide any built-in feature to backup emails. Some standard manual methods to backup Thunderbird emails are listed below:
- Export Thunderbird Emails to Different Formats
You have to add a specific add-on in order to make Thunderbird functional to export emails.
- Backup Thunderbird Profile
Thunderbird saves the data to where it belongs, i.e., the User’s profile folder. You have to locate the User’s profile folder, copy the contents, and paste them to a convenient backup location. We will discuss this process in a more detailed manner later in this section.
Try automated tool Kernel for MBOX to PST Converter to backup Mozilla Thunderbird Emails to Outlook PST file format on anywhere in your PC.
Method 1- Export Thunderbird Emails to Different Formats
As we discussed earlier, Thunderbird doesn’t have any built-in feature to export emails. Therefore, you have to add the ImportExportTools add-on to make it capable of exporting emails to external formats like EML, HTML, Plain text, Spreadsheet, PDF, etc. Eventually, the exported files can be saved to desired backup locations on hard drive. Follow the steps given below to export emails via Thunderbird.
- Lunch Mozilla Thunderbird on your PC.
- Click the “Display the Thunderbird Menu” icon located at the top-right corner of the tool’s interface.
- Select Add-ons >> Add-ons from the drop-down menu. It will open a new window within the tool’s interface.
- Click the Get Add-ons button from the Add-ons Manager window.
- You can either select the ImportExportTools add-on under the Featured Add-ons list or click the Browse all add-ons button and then search for the ImportExportTools add-on.
- Then, click the Add to Thunderbird button.
- Click the Install Now button when prompted.
- Now that you have successfully installed the add-on to your Thunderbird client go back to the Add-ons Manager window and click the Restart now button to finish the process.
- Right-click the Inbox you wish to export and select ImportExportTools >> Export all messages in the folder >> EML format.
Note: Select the file type from the list as per your intent for the emails. For instance, if you want to be able to import your backup to Thunderbird on a new machine, select the EML format option. And, if you wish to be able to retrieve your emails in their original formatting and attachments, select the HTML format (with attachments) option.
- Select a destination directory to save your backup files and click the Select Folder button.
Note: If Thunderbird restarts in Safe Mode, close the tool and relaunch it in normal mode.
Your backup files will be saved to the destination directory.
Method 2- Backup Thunderbird Profile
Backing up your entire Thunderbird profile is another option to backup your emails and other mailbox data. Your profile stores all information associated with your account, such as emails, account settings, etc.
When you backup your Thunderbird profile, you simply copy the contents of the User’s Profile folder and paste to a convenient backup location.
- Launch Thunderbird
- Click on the “Display the Thunderbird Menu” icon.
- Go to Help >> Troubleshooting Information. This will launch the Troubleshooting Information window in a new tab within the tool.
- Click on the Open folder (Local drive) button under the Applications Basics section.
- As soon as you click the Open Folder button, it will launch the User’s Profile directory, which has a specific name format that consists of a string of random characters followed by the profile name.
- Just come outside this folder and copy the User’s Profile folder and paste it to a convenient directory.
Note: You can copy-paste the User’s Profile folder to the location of your convenience. It may be an external hard drive or some location on the system.
Third Party Tool to Backup Mozilla Thunderbird Emails
Till now, we have discussed two manual methods to backup Mozilla Thunderbird emails. But the most effective and quick way to backup your data is to use a reliable third-party tool and convert your Thunderbird MBOX files to formats supported by other email client applications. Some of the most widely used email client applications other than Thunderbird are MS Outlook and Windows Live Mail. Therefore, in order to backup your Thunderbird emails and other mailbox data, you could simply convert them to file formats supported by Outlook and Windows Live Mail. In this regard, KernelApps has launched a reliable tool to convert your Thunderbird files to PST and EML file formats.
Kernel for MBOX to PST is one of the most recommended tools to convert MBOX files to PST format. The tool supports multiple MBOX files migration at a single time. Moreover, the tool provides migration of first the 25 items free with the trial version of the software. The tool also facilitates the conversion of MBOX emails to other formats such as DBX, MSG, and EML.