Imagine you’ve created an MS PowerPoint presentation with a lot of effort, and it fails to open a few minutes before giving a presentation – it surely gives tense moments to you. There are several reasons that make a PowerPoint file corrupt. Mentioned below are some of them.
- System infected with the virus
- Abruptly shutdown of the system
- Forceful exit of the PowerPoint application
- Failure of hard disk
- Software malfunction
- Human errors
Free Methods to Repair Corrupt MS PowerPoint Files
There are two situations when a PowerPoint file gets corrupt – either you will be able to open the PPT file or not. If you’re able to open a corrupt PowerPoint, then it can be repaired with Free manual methods. In this blog, we’ve mentioned both manual and professional methods to fix a corrupt PowerPoint file.
- Try Moving the File to a New Location
- In case you wish to open the PPT file stored in an external hard drive or a removable storage device, copy the file to your PC’s internal hard drive and then open it.
(Note: However, in case, the broken presentation file is already present in the system hard drive, copy it to another drive which is usually an external drive and then open it. While copying, you need to make sure that you are also copying the images inserted within, including videos or any such media files added to the same PowerPoint presentation.)
- If you’re wondering ‘why?’ The purpose is to skip the corruption in your storage device which is likely preventing you from accessing your PowerPoint file.
- Moreover, if your storage drive or location is facing an issue, this step is probably going to resolve the problem.
- Remember to scan and repair the former disk if you are able to open your presentation file after having moved it to the second drive.
In Windows: Open Computer, on the left pane; Click on MY PC and then right click on the disk responsible for the issues. Then click Properties>Tools tab > click on Check Now that is available under the Error Checking section. Also, do make sure to check both the options. Click on Start to repair PowerPoint file.
In Mac: Here, first go to the utilities folder and then open Disk Utility. Try and attempt to open the disk which is causing problem on the left pane. Click on First-Aid and wait till the scan is complete.
For example, if the PowerPoint file is stored on the hard drive, then copy it to an external drive like a USB. Now, open the file from that location, and if the PowerPoint is opening without any error, it means there is a problem with the hard drive.
Insert PPT Slides to a New Blank PPT
Try inserting the PPT slides to a new blank PPT presentation. To do this, follow the below steps:
- Launch MS PowerPoint and open a new PPT.
- Now from the home tab, select “New Slides,” and then select “Reuse Slides” from the drop-down menu.
- Browse the corrupt file that you’re unable to open and click on “Insert all.”
- Save this presentation by pressing “Ctrl + S.”
- Now to apply the same theme from the corrupt PPT, select the “Design” tab and click “More” and select “Browse for themes.”
- Now select the corrupt PPT file and hit “Apply.”
This way the corrupt PPT file can be repaired with new slides.
Use “Open and Repair” Option
One common method that you can use to repair PowerPoint file free is “Open and Repair” option of Microsoft. To use open repair, follow these steps;
- Launch MS PowerPoint on your system, but don’t open the corrupt file.
- Go to the “File” tab and click “Open.”
- Now, browse the location where the corrupt PPT file is stored. Click once on the file to select it (do not open the file by double-clicking).
- Now from the drop-down menu select “Open and repair,” and click “OK.”
If there is only a minor corruption in the file, then this option can quickly fix the error.
Open Microsoft PowerPoint in Safe Mode
Opening MS PowerPoint in safe mode will allow you to edit and format the PPT slides as per requirements. To open MS PowerPoint in safe mode, follow these steps;
- Start the Run command by pressing “Window + R” and type “powerpnt.exe /safe.”
- Now make the changes that you want to make in the PPT.
- Restart the computer in safe mode by long pressing F8 button during restart.
- Open and check your PPT file.
Opening in safe mode can fix small corruption issues in it.
Kernel for PowerPoint
If all the above free PowerPoint Files Repair methods fail in solving the PPT errors, then use Kernel for PowerPoint. It is an effective PowerPoint repair tool which is specially designed to resolve the corruption of Microsoft PowerPoint files. It is augmented with some compelling features, some of which include:
- Offers quick and efficient fixing of PPT corruption
- Retrieve complete data of a PPT file – text, media, animations, formatting, etc.
- Preserve the integrity of the PowerPoint files
- Suitable for all versions of MS PowerPoint including 2016 and 2013
Keeping that in mind, let us now see how Kernel for PowerPoint can be used. Following is the step-by-step process of using this tool:
- Select PowerPoint File by clicking on Browse.
- Click on Recover button to recover corrupt slides.
- The Kernel for PowerPoint asks you for the location where you wish to save recovered file. Select Desired Location and Click Ok.
- The Recovery Mode Selection window comes up. Select between Standard Mode and Integrated Mode
- In case you are selecting Standard Mode do this:
- Click Ok, Recovery process begins.
The software will display the found slides.
Select appropriate Master Slide, the contents of which are to be recovered. Click Ok.
The software starts recovering text data of the selected Master. The first pane displays the recovered text in the slide.
The software recovers the objects.
Kernel for PowerPoint confirms the saving process.
The recovered files from the saved location can now be seen or by clicking path of the location of the Rec folder displayed in the message box. Kernel for PowerPoint by default, creates a Rec folder at the location that had been selected. Then, it saves the data in the respective folder. Click OK.
- Kernel for PowerPoint extracts and initializes the images
- After the initializing process is complete, the software searches for images.
- The process of searching slides begins.
(Note: Kernel for PowerPoint saves the recovered data in three different files: Text, Pictures and the Slide.)
The corrupt PowerPoint presentation file is recovered successfully.
You can also use Integrated Mode, in case you aren’t using the above-mentioned Standard Mode.
Following the above five methods, users can quickly repair and restore data from their corrupt PowerPoint files.