Having your Exchange mailbox data on a cloud platform like Office 365 has many advantages. Emails in Office 365 are universally accessible provided you have the net connectivity. So, many Exchange users like to keep a copy of their Exchange mailboxes on Office 365. To facilitate this easily, one can move their offline Outlook Data File (OST) to Office 365 accounts. And this can be done in many ways.
How to import OST emails to Office 365?
There are no direct methods to migrate OST emails to Office 365. However, you can convert OST files to PST format, and then upload them to Office 365. Also, there are many third party tools to help you save OST emails directly in Office 365 accounts.
- Convert OST file to PST format, and then upload to Office 365
- Import OST files directly in Office 365 using third-party tools
Method 1: Upload to Office 365 after converting OST files to PST
It is an indirect method to export OST files to Office 365. First, convert OST files to PST format and then upload them to Office 365 accounts.
- Step 1: Convert the OST file into PST format.
- Step 2: Migrate the PST file to Office 365 environment.
Both these steps can be performed in different ways.
Step 1: Convert the OST file to PST format
There are four different ways to convert OST file to the PST format.
- Create a new PST file and copy OST items in it.
- Use the archive feature of MS Outlook.
- Use the Export feature of MS Outlook.
- Use third-party OST to PST conversion tool.
Create a new PST file and copy OST items
This method helps to move mailbox items to new PST file.
- Start the Outlook application
- Create a new PST file in Outlook.
- Copy data from the required mailbox folder and paste it into the PST file.
Use the archive feature of MS Outlook
- Start the Outlook application and select File Cleanup tools Archive.
- Select a file or folder.
- Browse the destination where you want to save the file and click OK.
- An archive is created.
Note: Entire mailbox items can be archived except Outlook Contacts.
Use the Export feature of MS Outlook
- Start the Outlook application and go to the Export option from the File tab.
- Select Export to a file and click Next.
- Select the option Personal File Folder (PST) and click Next.
- Choose the folders you want to export (aslo check the box to include subfolders).
- Provide the saving location for the exported file. Click Finish to complete the process.
Note: This method works only when the user account is connected to the Microsoft Exchange Server.
Use third- party too for OST to PST conversion
In this use, a good third-party app to convert OST to PST.
Step 2: Migrate the PST file to Office 365 environment
After converting the OST file to PST, you can upload it to Office 365 in different ways.
- Upload to Office 365 using Azure AzCopy.
- Drive shipping to Microsoft.
- Use Third-party OST to Office 365 migrator tool.
Network upload using Azure AzCopy
You can directly upload the PST file to Office 365 using AzCopy.
- Download and install Azure AzCopy and copy the SAS (Shared Access Signature) URL (the SAS URL will provide the necessary permission to migrate the PST file to Azure).
- Upload the PST files to Office 365.
- Create the PST mapping (CSV) file.
- Create an import job in Office 365 to import PST file.
- Filter the data and initiate the PST import job.
Drive shipping PST files to Office 365
Drive shipping to Microsoft helps to import PST files to Office 365. Here, you just copy the PST files to a hard disk drive and send the drive to Microsoft. Microsoft will copy the data from the disk drive to the cloud.
Use third-party tools
Third-party tools can help you export PST to Office 365.
Method 2: Import OST files directly in Office 365 using third-party tools
The method of uploading PST files to Office 365 after converting the OST files to PST is not that easy. Novice and non-technical users find it difficult to perform. That is why third-party tools are advised for direct OST file to Office 365 migration. Kernel for OST to PST is a useful tool for this.
How to import OST files in Office 365 easily?
Kernel for OST to PST saves OST files to multiple destinations inclding Office 365. This is how you can do this:
- Launch Kernel for OST to PST. As soon as the application starts, the Source File Selection dialogue box will pop-up. Browse the location of OST file and select the OST file.
Note: If you do not know its location, then click Search. The new window Search OST File(s) will ask you to Browse a drive or folder where you think OST file is residing. After browsing the location, click Search. The tool will find out all the OST files present in the drive or folder. Click OK after selecting the required OST file.
- Now the file gets selected as the source file. Click Next.
- Next window named Information will tell you about the migration procedure and the output formats available. Click Finish.
- Now you can preview emails in the Advanced Property View tab.
- Now click Save from the toolbar and it will open the Select Output Type window. There will be an option to select Office 365. Select it and click Next.
- Apply the appropriate filters (From, To, Subject, Folder Name, Item Type, and Date Range). After that click Next.
- In the next step, provide the login credentials of Office 365 account in Login details window.
With this, the OST file will be directly migrated to Office 365 environment.
Summary: No direct ways are available to migrate the OST file data to Office 365. Though some indirect methods are available, they are tricky, time taking, and error-prone. That is why, Kernel for OST to PST Converter is used to directly import OST files to Office 365.