What is Exchange Server 2019? Know All About Its Featrues
Read time 4 minutes
Exchange Server 2019 is the latest version of the Exchange Server family that has strengthened the Exchange Server position as a primary email server among all the professional servers. The number of features has increased, and the administrator has total control over the environment, which can be exercised with the help of Exchange Admin Center and Management Shell cmdlets. MS Exchange was launched by Microsoft on October 2, 2018.
The existing requirements, license, roles, and features have changed as per the new version, and you should gather complete information before upgrading to it.
Supported Operating System
|Operating System||Exchange Parts|
|Windows Server 2019 Standard or Datacenter.||Mailbox/Edge Transport Server tools.|
Supported Outlook Clients
- Outlook 2013
- Outlook 2016
- Outlook 2019
- Outlook 2016 for Mac
- Microsoft 365 apps
|Hardware Components||Minimum Requirements|
|Screen Resolution||1024 * 768 pixels.|
Exchange Server 2019 Licensing
There are two types of licenses for Exchange Server.
- Standard: It is helpful for the small businesses that require the 1 to 5 mailbox databases. You can also purchase it for organizations that require non-mailbox roles.
- Enterprise: The Enterprise license for the Exchange Server 2019 is suitable for bigger organizations as it can create from 1 to 100 mailbox databases.
Roles in Exchange Server
Roles in Exchange Server are the permissions assigned to the users or groups based on their job requirements. There are two major roles in the Exchange Server-
- End-user roles: The end-user roles are assigned through the role assignment policies, and it helps users manage their mailboxes and distribution groups. Quick identification of end-user role is through a prefix ‘My’ with each end-user role.
- Administrative roles: The Administrative roles contain permissions that can be further assigned to other administrators and end-users to manage specific tasks of the Exchange environment.
New Features in Exchange Server 2019
Many new features have been introduced in Exchange Server 2019, and we are presenting them-
- There is a newly rebuilt search facility, with the help of which businesses can index their bigger files.
- The search results are much faster and responsive to user queries.
- The database engine gives better performance for the new hardware storage, SSDs, and larger disks.
- Exchange 2019 supports 256 GB of memory and 48 CPU cores.
- The attendees of the invitation cannot extend the invitation to the other members as only the organization can invite all the members.
- The administrator can delete such meetings that were organized by members who have left the company.
- The email ids containing non-English characters can be routed natively.
- Exchange Server 2019 has less surface area on Windows deployments and hence lower chances of external attacks.
- The Client Access Rules will allow the administrator to manage the task from the internal network.
- Now, for client and server connections, Exchange uses TLS 1.2 algorithm and disables the older ones like DES, 3DES, RC2, RC4, and MD5.
Exchange Server 2019 has elevated the properties and features of the existing Exchange Server 2016. It can allocate more space for the database, and the increased features of the security can save complete data securely. If you have decided to upgrade from older versions of Exchange Server to Exchange 2019, you can use Kernel Migrator for Exchange Software. It will migrate complete mailboxes from the existing to the new Exchange 2019 mailboxes. The Exchange Migration tool features will make it a handy assistant in reducing the complex migration process to a simple select and move process.