Read time 6 minutes
The Windows.old folder holds previous Windows system data. Deleting it frees up disk space, but without a backup, reverting to an older version becomes difficult. Manual recovery involves accessing the folder via File Explorer. Alternatively, third-party tools like Kernel for Windows Data Recovery offer efficient and customizable solutions, supporting various file formats.
The “Windows.old” folder contains data and files from your previous Windows system. It allows you to revert to your previous operating system, so it’s important to keep it intact. If you have a system backup or don’t anticipate needing to roll back, you can safely delete it after upgrading to Windows 10. This action will free up disk space.
If you lack both a backup option and an intact Windows.old folder, returning to a previous Windows version can be a challenging process. Therefore, experts advise against deleting this folder.
Now, let us consider the question “How to recover old files from Windows?” manually. The process might be done this way:
- First, open the Windows File Explorer. Then navigate to that drive where the Windows is installed which is usually the C drive ( by default)
- Press enter on “Windows.old” on the Search bar atop the Windows Explorer. Now, open it.
- Open Users folder, and then double-click on the account belonging to you. Navigate to the folder which comprises of the file you wish to recover.
- Now, you have come to the point where you can restore the Windows.old file. To do this, all that is required is to copy the data you desire to recover and then paste to a different hard drive on your new Windows.
While manual methods are effective and straightforward, there may be situations where a simpler approach is needed. In such cases, exploring third-party tools becomes essential. One noteworthy example is the Kernel for Windows Data Recovery. This tool is designed for efficient and precise Windows data recovery. Its user-friendly interface allows you to recover your data swiftly in just a few steps, eliminating unnecessary wait times. Moreover, the tool boasts distinctive features that distinguish it from other solutions. These standout features are outlined below:
- The Tool has been created in a way to recover those files that are lost and deleted.
- Supports more than seventy different formats in which you may save the file to preview the file in different formats.
- The tool has a Find option which helps you to search out particular file format.
- Moreover, you can customize the software’s settings thereby permitting you to set up sectors to be comprehended or read art one go.
In the following, we wish to elaborate on the recovery procedure of Windows.old files.
Using Quick Scan
- Launch the Kernel for Windows Data Recovery tool and click on the Quick Scan icon.
- Select the drive with the data to recover (C drive for Windows.old files) and click Next.
- Select between Use existing partition info. Now click Ok.
- The process begins.
- Select a particular partition. Click Next.
- The process of recovery begins.
- Select the folder from the folder tree on the left and select the required files. Click Recover.
- Select the place where you want to save file. Click Ok.
- The process of saving the data begins.
- On completion, you get the following message. Click Ok.
Windows.old files may many times contain treasures of valuable data. It is only apt that you try to gain them back if lost. I hope this write-up gives you an insight into the different methods to recover them. The software also help to fix Windows 10 corruption issues of any kind. In case if you have any queries on either downloading or using this software, do not hesitate to contact us. Our support team would be happy to be of service.