Read time 27 min
There is a high demand for videos, movies, GIFs, and clips, especially after the lockdown was announced. There are various devices on which you can watch these, including televisions, computer systems, tablets, mobile phones, etc. All his has led to the rise of many different video file formats. There are certain formats suitable for only a particular device, like the 3GP format used widely to watch videos on phones. There are hundreds of video conversion tools, but only some of them have proved to be highly beneficial. The top features, while looking for a suitable video converter tool, are – proper file format, quality after conversion, operating system support, speed of conversion, and accessibility.
Here are the best free video converter tools (in no particular order)
Kernel Video Converter
Kernel Video Converter is a professional software capable of converting videos into desired video file formats, including MP4, AVI, MOV, ASF, 3GP, MPEG, DivX, DVR, MKV, MJPEG, etc. It can convert the video files with complete accuracy and integrity.
- It is capable of converting video of any kind of format.
- There is no limitation in the size of the video format which needs to be converted.
- Single or multiple video files can be converted at the same time using the Kernel Video Converter tool.
- Users can enjoy the flexibility to save the converted video anywhere on the system or an external drive.
- The tool is user-friendly with a minimum yet interactive interface, which is ideal for all kinds of users.
- The trial version converts only the first 15 seconds of the video.
User rating- An excellent rating of 5
Operating system support – All versions of the Windows operating system.
Movavi Video Converter
Movavi Video Converter is a software that allows its users to convert films, pictures, and music files into any format of their choice without losing on the quality of the video. It has a simple and straightforward process involving just three steps- Add the files, choose format, and convert.
- Movavi provides over 180 file formats for the users to choose from, including 3GP, ASF, AVI, DVD, MKV, MOV, MKM, MP4, MPEG, SWF, WMV, RAM, OGG, WTV, MTV, 3G2, FLV, and many more.
- Users can perform basic editing as well by using the trim and merge features.
- The tool can be utilized as an image, audio, or video-to audio converter as well.
- It can insert subtitles to the required video file.
- The trial version of the Movavi Video Converter is valid for 7 days, and a watermark is added to all the final converted videos.
- It converts only half of the video or audio file when using SuperSpeed mode in the trial version.
User ratings- A decent rating of 4.3 based on 20229 reviews by users.
Operating system support- Windows as well as Mac systems.
Any Video Converter
Any Video Converter is a comprehensive tool that has been developed by Anvsoft Inc. to convert and edit video files effortlessly. It is well supported by all devices, including iPhone, Android, Xbox One, PS5, iPad, etc.
- The Any Video Converter allows users to change more than 100 video file formats into 160+ formats while maintaining the quality.
- It also acts as a free DVD burner tool.
- All the users can personalize the videos by editing with features like video trim, crop, and rotate, after putting together multiple videos and adding special effects.
- The premium version acts as a DVD and image converter as well. It even allows the users to record video screenings. All these features are not available with the free version.
User ratings- An excellent rating from thousands of active users.
Operating system support – Well supported by Windows and Mac systems.
GiliSoft Video Converter
GiliSoft Video Converter is a good choice for converting video files as it provides users with an option to convert over 160 file formats. It keeps adding new formats as soon as they are released.
- The software converts 160+ video file formats from the Internet, cards, cameras, camcorders, etc., including 3GP, MKV, MOV, ASF, MPEG, FLV, AVI, WMV.
- Along with video formats, it also enables the conversion of audio files.
- In addition, GiliSoft Video Converter provides users with options to edit the videos with features like frame cropping, special effects, add watermarks, add subtitles, rotation, adjust speed, and merging several mini clips into one.
- It also has 2 different versions- GiliSoft Video Converter for the Discovery Edition and Mac operating system.
Operating system support- Well supported by Mac systems and Windows version 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10.
Leawo Video Converter
The Leawo Video Converter ensures the conversion of ordinary and high-definition videos to over 180 different formats. It has the capability to convert video as well as audio file formats.
- The tool allows the users to convert almost all popular HD video formats, including M2TS to MP4, AVCD to AVI, MTS to AVI, MTS to MOV, M2TS to MKV, etc., keeping the quality unharmed.
- The converted videos can be comfortably watched on various devices, including computers, Android, and Apple mobile phones.
- It empowers the users to reset the audio and video parameters with the advanced setting of codecs and frames available in the tool itself.
- Another added benefit is to convert video into the 3D format and enjoy a better viewing experience.
- Batch video conversion is also available to save time and effort.
User ratings- An amazing rating of 4.5
Operating system support- Well compatible with Windows OS 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. For Mac OS X 10.6 or later versions, another version of Leawo Video Converter for Mac is available.
Cisdem Video Converter for Mac
The Cisdem Video Converter converts almost all video and audio files to a different encoding or format.
- It prepares the video files of almost any format for an instant play after the conversion process.
- The quality of the converted videos is reliable, just like the original one, without losing quality.
- Multiple file conversion is also an option within this tool.
- It also allows the users to extract content from DVDs with high quality digitally.
Operating system support- It is compatible with Mac OS 10.10 and later versions.
User rating-A brilliant rating of 4.5 with 283 u0ser reviews.
The prime function of iTubeGo is to provide an easy downloading experience from YouTube and over 10,000 other websites at a better speed. Moreover, it also comes with the ability to convert video and audio files to more than 20 formats (from various streaming websites or devices).
- The supported video file formats are limited, including MP4, MOV, 3GP, AVI, M4V, MPEG, DAT, ASF, WMV, VOB, MKV, FLV, RMVB, 3GS, F4V, and 3G2.
- The free version of the tool allows only 3 downloads and converts 1/3rd of the video. However, all this is unlimited while using the premium version.
- iTubeGo gives the liberty to users to easily download videos from all the popular websites, including YouTube, Instagram, Dailymotion, Facebook, and many other websites.
- The downloading happens at a much faster pace with its Turbo-fast mode.
- While the conversion process is going on, users can opt for ‘Mute’ to remove the audio from the video file and turn it into a silent video.
User ratings- An exemplary rating of 4.8 by users.
Operating system support- It works well with Windows 10,8 and 7 versions; Mac OS Big Sur, Mac OS X10.15, 10.14, 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, and 10.10 on the Mac operating system.
Program4pc’s Video Converter
The Program4pc’s Video Converter Pro software provides users with the flexibility to convert, edit, compress and download video files for many devices, including Apple and Android phones and Amazon’s Kindle.
- The software supports a wide range of over 300 videos, audio, and image formats, including 3G2, AMV, AVI, DAV, DAT, F4V, MOV, MP4, MPEG, MTS, TRP, RM, VRO, WMV, VOB, AAC, MP3, OGG, PNG, JPEG and many more.
- Users can download videos from more than 10,000 sites and play them with MP4 formats.
- It also allows conversion of videos in batches when multiple video files are involved.
- Multiple videos can be merged into a single video with the help of this tool.
- The interface of the Video Converter is available in 14 different languages, including Dutch, Polish, Portuguese, English, Korean, etc., which can be proved to be convenient for a lot of varied users.
Operating system support- it is well suited for Microsoft Windows 10, 8, and 7.
Freemake Video Converter
The Freemake Video Converter provides a wide range of over 500 file formats to convert videos, movies, and clips captured from any gadget. It has a growing and active user base, which is increasing every day.
- The tool covers a wide variety of more than 500 different video file formats. This includes all the popular as well as the rare ones.
- Additional benefits of the tool include extracting audio from videos files, uploading video and audio files, trimming/joining/rotating video clips, and converting high-definition videos.
- Can add subtitles to any video and edit the font and size of the same.
- The complex task of conversion of videos has been made simple.
- However, it takes some time to convert large video files.
User ratings- An excellent rating of 4.8 based on 18 reviews.
Operating system support- It works well with Windows 10,8, 7, and Vista.
The VideoProc software is a one-stop solution for converting, resizing, and adjusting videos, audio, and DVD files. It is a simple but powerful software suitable for all kinds of users, including beginners and professionals.
- It comes with a Level-3 Hardware Acceleration, which offers high-speed video conversion, keeping the quality intact.
- VideoProc also includes some basic editing features like cut, merge, crop, and add subtitles.
- It also has advanced editing tools, which can be beneficial for professionals.
- The tool can convert any video taken from any device, including iPhone, Android, professional cameras, GoPro, drone, computers, and tablets.
- It supports a wide range of video and audio file formats.
- The trial version enables conversion of a short-length video file, while the full version does not put any such limit.
Operating system support- It works well with Windows and Mac systems.
HandBrake is a free and open-sourced tool capable of converting nearly all the latest video file formats.
- The file formats for the output video are limited to only MP4 and MKV.
- HandBrake allows users to convert multiple video files in batches.
- It has a hardware acceleration feature that speeds up the process of conversion.
- This particular tool is more suitable for beginners who deal with basic video formats conversion.
User rating- A decent rating of 4.5 by the users.
Operating system support- It supports Windows 10, Mac 10.12, and later versions and Linux operating system.
Aiseesoft Video Converter Ultimate
Aiseesoft video converter provides an all-in-one solution for all the conversion, compression, and editing of around 1000 videos and audio file formats with a basic and simple 3-step process suitable for all users.
- Due to its encoding, the image quality and video enhancer technology keep the quality just like the original one or even better than that.
- It offers a high conversion speed.
- The users are can also add certain basic effects to their videos, including contrast, brightness, hoe, and saturation.
- 3D effects can also be added to the video to make an unforgettable watching experience.
- The quality of the converted video can be improved to a higher resolution.
- The Video Converter tool offers various versions – 1 month, lifetime, and multi-user license.
User ratings- An outstanding rating of 5 based on 138 reviews.
Operating system support – supports Windows 10, 8, and 9 versions and Mac OS X 10.12 or higher versions.
Tipard Video Converter
This video converter allows users to convert videos to another file format without any loss in quality.
- The Tipard Video Converter has a range of over 300 file formats from which the users can choose.
- The users can convert the videos to better quality by removing video noises, reducing video shaking, and opting for HD videos.
- The brightness and contrast of the converted video can also be adjusted.
- Conversion of multiple video files in batches is also feasible.
- The tool also comes with an ultimate version which has over 350 file formats to choose from. It has many additional features also.
User ratings- A good rating of 4.5 by users.
Operating system support- It is compatible with Windows and Mac systems.
Zamzar is one of the most widely used online conversion and compression tools which offers to convert video, audio, image, document, and other files.
- The file formats offered by this tool over 1200.
- It is easily accessible, and there is no need to download separate software.
- Most of the conversion process is completed in less than 10 minutes.
- Users can directly email the converted video file to whoever they want to.
- However, there is a limitation of file size in this tool, and no batch conversion is possible.
User rating- A decent rating of 4.
Operating system support- It is an online conversion tool.
Gihosoft Video Converter
Apart from serving its prime function of video conversion, the Gihosoft Video Converter also allows users to burn videos to DVD, save YouTube videos and transfer them to various Android and Apple devices.
- The conversion of all widely used formats is available with this software like MP4, AVI, MKV, MOV, 3GP, WMV, SWF, etc.
- It includes basic editing features like crop, enhance, add audio, watermark.
- Users can add subtitles.
- Gihosoft seamlessly allows the transfer of all the converted video from the computer system to mobile phones.
- Many DVD videos can be burnt within a quick span of time.
- The conversion process is simple and straightforward.
User ratings- A decent rating of 4 by users.
Operating system support- It is applicable for Mac and Windows users.
WinX Free Video Converter
WinX video converter is a free tool that assists users in converting videos taken from various devices to popular formats like MP4, MOV, MP3, and AVI, keeping the quality in 4K and high definition.
- The videos can be resized and compressed into a more convenient size which will further allow easier transfer and sharing with others.
- There is no need to add any third-party plug-ins.
- The videos can be trimmed into smaller ones, crop certain unnecessary parts, and merge quite freely.
- Support to higher quality videos including 4K UHD, 1080p, and 720p.
- WinX provides a superfast conversion process due to its transcoding engine and multi-core CPU.
- There is no additional feature to support burn videos to DVD.
Operating system support- Well compatible with Windows and Mac systems.
Wonderhsare UniConverter is a multi-purpose and complete tool to convert, edit, compress and burn more than 1000 video and audio files effortlessly.
- The GPU acceleration keeps the original quality of the video intact even after conversion.
- The videos can be taken from any device and for conversion.
- It allows conversion of videos in batches.
- The additional features like video merger, smart recognition, subtitle editors, smart trimmers, and watermark editor make up for an enhanced video experience.
- This tool can be slightly technical and confusing for beginners and first-time users.
User ratings- Exemplary reviews by 542 active users.
Operating system support- For Windows, it supports 10, 8, and 7 versions, and for Mac, it supports 10.11 and 11 systems.
Online Convert is a conversion tool that provides conversions of any media like audio, video, document, eBook, image, archive, and Word files from one format to another.
- It supports a wide range of media files for the conversion process.
- Being an online tool, it is quick and easy with its approach, which can be quite helpful for beginners.
- Users have the liberty to write an email in case they are not able to find the file format they require.
- There is a restriction in the conversion of larger-sized files.
- It does raise a few concerns when dealing with important and confidential video files due to its online nature.
- There is no need to download separate software.
The DVDVideoSoft’s video converter is a free tool that converts the video files to get them ready for playback on various multimedia devices.
- It offers more than 40 file formats in which the video files can be converted.
- The interface is simple and self-explanatory, which can be an added benefit for some users.
- It is mostly used to convert into MP4 format, which is a popular video format.
- There are no advanced features for editing the converted videos.
Operating system support- It is well suitable for Windows systems.
AVS Video Converter
This is a free but effective video conversion tool that can easily convert to all the popular video formats.
- It also deals with the conversion of HD, Full HD, 4K Ultra HD, and 2k Quad HD videos.
- Command Line Mode allows users to automatically work on ready-made templates without manually working on the tool.
- Conversion of multiple videos is possible at the same time.
- The converted videos can be shared with any gadget and social media platforms.
- The full version of the AVS Video Converter provides various editing features for audio and video files.
User ratings- An amazing rating of 5, reviewed by more than 6 lakhs users.
Operating system support- Windows versions 10, 8.1, 8, 7, XP, 2003, and Vista.
Free HD Video Converter Factory
This tool is fast, simple, and free, which doesn’t leave any watermark on the converted videos. This tool is ideal for users who have limited technical knowledge due to its simple yet powerful approach. It also proves to be good for advanced users due to its customizing features.
- It supports more than 500 file formats and devices, including MP4, Android, Apple, TV, AVI, MKV, MPG, M4V, FLV, SWF, etc.
- Videos can also be downloaded from over 1000 websites, including YouTube, Vimeo, LiveLeak, Facebook, even in high-definition quality.
- A DVD can be converted into a flawless digital copy without losing quality.
- The users can extract audio from a video; so, one can use it as an audio converter.
- There are some basic video editing elements, including cut and crop.
- The video can be compressed into smaller-sized files, keeping the quality just like the original one.
- The tool supports many devices like iPhones, Android, and PCs.
- The Pro edition of the tool allows batch conversion and better conversion speed.
Operating system support- Well suitable with Windows versions 10, 8.1, 8 and 7.
VSDC Free Video Converter
The VSDC Free Video Converter is one of the fastest and reliable tools which allows users to convert into various video and audio file formats, including MOV, M4V, MP4, AVI, 3GP, 3G2, AVC, MTS, MP3, etc. taken from multiple sources like mobile phones, computers, HD videos, and websites.
- It is an easy-to-master conversion tool.
- The users have the liberty to save audio and individual frames from the converted video files to their computer system.
- Several mini clips can be merged into one to form a lengthy video. Larger videos can also be split into smaller parts on the basis of size and markers.
- Certain portions of the video can be altered and removed from the final converted video.
- Due to the multiple processors, the conversion process is speedy but still reliable and stable.
Operating system support- Well supported by Windows systems.
This video converter supports more than 1000 output video and audio formats and converts them within a span of minutes.
- It offers a huge choice of input and output formats like MP4, MOV, MKV, AVI, ASF, 3GP, TRP, MPEG, VOB, WEBM, DIVX, etc.
- Conversion of multiple video files is also possible with the help of this tool.
- It has a feature by which audio from the system can be added and saved in a video format.
- Users enjoy a faster conversion process with high video quality while using the MiniTool Video Converter.
Operating system support – Windows 10, 8.1, 8 and 7 versions.
Convertio is a video converter available on the Internet which lets users choose and convert to a wide range of file formats. It is also available to convert image, audio, and document files to the required formats.
- Almost all the popular formats are available in the tool like 3G2, 3GP, AAF, ASF, AV1, AVCHD, AVI, CAVS, DIVX, DV, F4V, FLV, HEVC, M2TS, M2V, M4V, MJPEG, MKV, MOD, MOV, MP4, MPEG, MPEG-2, MPG, MTS, MXF, OGV, RM, RMVB, SWF, TOD, TS, VOB, WEBM, WMV, WTV, and XVID.
- The process is simple, and the users can drag and drop the video.
- It has better security than other online tools since the video files are deleted immediately, and the converted ones are deleted after 24 hours.
- The videos can be adjusted on the basis of their quality, aspect ratio, rotation, flip, and codec.
- The file size is limited to 100MB and a maximum conversion of 10 files per day.
User ratings- An excellent rating of 4.7 by lakhs of users.
Operating system support- It can be used on browsers of any operating system of Windows, Mac, and Linux.
iWisoft Free Video Converter
The iWisoft Video Converter is one of its kind since it suggests which video file format that suits the task of the user and then accordingly converts it. It is free and is popular for conversion on the Internet.
- The interface of this tool is friendly for all users.
- All the profiles are organized, which provides a sense of direction to the user.
- Multiple video files can be converted at the same time.
- It supports all the popularly used video formats for input and output of conversion.
- The iWisoft Video Converter continues to update itself, due to which it opens the website whenever the user tries to use the tool.
User ratings- A decent rating of 4.3 by users.
Operating system support- It works well with Windows systems.
Allavsoft-Video and Music Download
Allavsoft Video and Music Download is a complete tool for all video and audio-related solutions, including conversion, downloading, extraction of audio, and adding subtitles.
- The tool converts the videos to all the popular formats like MP4, AVI, MOV, ASF, WMV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, DV, TS, VOB, OGV, WebM, etc.
- The conversion process is simple, just drag or paste the video link and click on the desired format.
- The audio can be extracted from video files with a click of a button.
- Batch conversion at the same point is also feasible with the tool.
- There is a playback option to sit back and enjoy the videos.
- It allows users to download video and music from more than 1000 websites, even in HD quality.
Operating system support- It works well with all versions of the Windows operating system. A separate one is available for Mac versions
This professional tool is a multimedia converter, player, and editor which helps users to deal with all kinds of video, audio, and image files effortlessly without any quality loss.
- iDealshare VideoGo offers a wide range of input and output video formats to choose from while converting the video.
- The converted videos can be successfully and smoothly played on Android phones, iPhones, iPad, Google Nexus, Xbox, PlayStation, Amazon Kindle, Windows phones, etc.
- You can even add editing features like crop, trim, merge, split, adjust volume, add subtitles and effects, watermarks.
- Subtitles can be added to the video if required.
- The conversion speed is fast, and the quality is just like the original video file.
User ratings- An above average rating of 3.8.
Operating system support- Windows versions 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10. Separate but similar tool for Mac versions is available.
Prism Video Converter Software
The Prism software happens to be one of the most stable multi-format converter tools with almost all the features required by a beginner or advanced level user.
- It has a wide range of input video formats. However, the output formats are very limited.
- Multiple videos can be converted at once in this tool.
- Filters, texts, captions, and watermarks can be added easily to the video.
- A preview is displayed to re-check the added effects and edits on the converted video.
- It supports high-resolution files up to 4K resolution.
- The converted video can be directly shared on YouTube, Google Drive, Twitter, Vimeo, Dropbox, OneDrive, and Flickr.
- The videos can be compressed into a smaller size for output videos.
- It also acts as a DVD converter.
Operating system support- It works on Windows versions 8.1, XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10 and on Mac 0S X 10.5 or above.
Clone2Go Free Video Converter
Clone2Go video converter is a free yet powerful tool that helps to convert single or multiple video files to play them in your computer systems and mobile devices. Just add the video to the tool and click on Encode, and the conversion will commence.
- It supports all popular video file formats.
- Users can select the size, format, audio, and codec of the converted video file.
- It is a user-friendly tool with a simple and easy graphical interface.
- It is ideal for users who have limited technical skills. However, it may not be suitable for advanced-level users.
- It has a quick conversion process.
User ratings- An average rating of 3.8 among the users.
Operating system support- Works well with all Windows versions.
Wonderfox HD Video Converter Factory Pro-
This tool has proven to be multilingual for providing solutions for video conversions, editing, downloading, recording, encoding, and animation.
- A wide range of more than 500 audio and video formats are covered in this converter tool.
- Conversion of multiple video files at once is possible with the help of this tool.
- It includes many rich editing tools, including effects, filters, split-screen, trim, crop, subtitle, rotate, merge and watermark.
- Wonderfox HD Video Converter Factory also helps in downloading videos from popular sites like YouTube, Facebook, Dailymotion, Vimeo, Metacafe, etc.
- It is well compatible with almost all the gadgets and provides good support.
Operating system support- Works well with Microsoft Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 8, and 7 and lower versions.
FFCoder is a relatively easy and free video converter tool that all users can use to encode video and audio files to the formats you require.
- There are over 40 formats to choose the required output format.
- The conversion process is quick with just 3 steps.
- It can perform basic crop and editing effects on the video.
- A watch mode in the FFCoder tool monitors and automatically converts all the files placed under that folder.
- The interface is straightforward where there is no room for any confusion in the minds of the users.
Operating system support- Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8.
As you can see, there are numerous video conversion tools on the Internet. But when you try, you can find that only a few of them are suitable for your task. We have listed the most beneficial tools for you. You can try them and make a purchase decision based on your requirements.