Read time: 7 minutes
In today’s work environment, numerous factors, such as smartphones, distractions, and remote work challenges, can hinder productivity. This article outlines the ten major productivity killers and provides strategies to overcome them. It also highlights the importance of employee monitoring, suggesting the use of Kernel Employee Desktop Live Viewer for effective remote workforce management.
It’s often said, “You sleep best after a fulfilling day of work.” Achieving productivity, however, is increasingly challenging due to distractions like procrastination, smartphones, social groups, and remote work challenges exacerbated by the pandemic. Initially, it was complex to monitor employee’s computer working from home. Addressing these issues is crucial to prevent financial losses for employers and maintain employee morale. It’s imperative to identify and eliminate these productivity killers for long-term success.
10 biggest workspace productivity killers and ways to overcome them-
The current generation’s heavy reliance on smartphones is undeniable. While technology has its benefits, it can also be a significant challenge for professionals. People often experience anxiety when separated from their mobile devices for extended periods. The constant buzz of notifications serves as a major distraction, not only for the phone owner but also for those nearby. This instant urge to check and scroll through social media leads to frequent interruptions.
Make these little changes to avoid excessive usage of phones in the office:
- Turn off the notification of all the distracting applications, especially social media.
- Keep a track of your screen time and try to reduce it.
- Give yourself a fixed amount of time to check your phone and scroll through your favorite social media apps.
- In case of an urgent call, step aside from the main workspace and then attend the call.
- Browsing through websites
Frequently, employees tend to browse various websites on their work computers, sometimes engaging in personal tasks that can disrupt their workflow.
Avoid this by taking these measures:
- The company can block all sites which are not related to work.
- Address all the employees and explain the rationale behind all these steps.
- Workers can complete all such petty tasks during their breaks or after work.
- Distraction from colleagues
Colleagues can either support your work discipline or disrupt it. Casual conversations among coworkers are natural, but if overdone, they can become a significant productivity obstacle. It’s essential to strike a balance that ensures work isn’t hindered, and everyone can meet their deliverables.
Measures that can be taken to avoid excessive conversations:
- Employers can be transparent and have a healthy discussion regarding any change or rumor which has been doing rounds in the office.
- Engage in the chatter during lunch or post working hours.
- Keep in mind to maintain a healthy balance between work and chit-chat.
- Not prioritizing work
Smart individuals always prioritize their tasks based on their attention span, time of day, and work importance. It’s crucial to be aware of your most and least productive hours. Schedule demanding tasks or meetings for the morning when your focus is at its peak. Reserve the second half of the day for less critical work like email and phone calls. Allocate 5 to 10 minutes to clear your inbox to prevent a buildup of unnecessary emails. This approach ensures efficient prioritization throughout the day, from most to least important tasks.
- Frequent breaks
While taking a brief break for a smoke or a snack during work can refresh the mind and restore energy, frequent breaks disrupt workflow and hinder timely task completion. Moreover, indulging in high-calorie snacks can lead to lethargy, reducing productivity throughout the day.
Keep these breaks efficient by:
- Setting a time limit and frequency limit on these breaks and adhering to them.
- Employers can introduce certain rules and regulations regarding breaks.
- Keep an eye on the snacks which you are consuming.
- Avoid heavy snacking during working hours.
- Congested workspace
Professionals working in small cubicles often experience boredom and claustrophobia. Sitting alone, staring at their screens for extended periods can be inconvenient. To counter this, office spaces should be designed to be appealing and employee-friendly, offering areas for relaxation, walking, and social interaction. This fosters a healthier working environment.
- Unnecessary meetings
Meetings and discussions are valuable for team collaboration and idea generation, helping maintain discipline in an employer’s daily schedule. However, unorganized meetings often yield poor results, as expecting instant ideas is unrealistic. Moreover, an excessive number of meetings can hinder execution. Organizations should determine an appropriate meeting frequency and communicate it well in advance to avoid overplanning.
Avoid unproductive meetings by doing the following:
- Inform the workers about any meeting at least 8-10 hours in advance.
- Keep all the discussion crisp and to the point.
- Ensure all the necessary points are covered in that single meeting.
- Do not overdo it.
- Technical hitches
All employees rely on their systems for seamless work. If a system malfunctions, it can leave individuals idle. It’s crucial for organizations to ensure all systems and equipment work flawlessly. Even minor issues should be promptly repaired before employees begin their workday.
- Poorly organized workspace
A disorganized workspace can lead to a cluttered mindset. With files scattered, pending emails, missed deadlines, and skipped meetings, productivity suffers. To enhance work efficiency, prioritize proper organization and begin with a clear, refreshed mindset.
- No work-life balance
It’s essential for individuals to recognize that work should be a part of their lives, not the other way around. Both underworking and overworking are detrimental in the long run. Overworked employees may face burnout, health issues, sleep deprivation, stress, and frustration. A content and fulfilled employee is pivotal to a successful organization.
Improve your work-life balance by doing these:
- Make sure to complete all your work during the specified working hours only.
- Do not take your work back home.
- Organizations should allow employees to work from home and offer flexibility on some days whenever needed.
- A decent number of leaves is necessary for everyone.
How to ensure high productivity during work from home?
Since the onset of the pandemic in 2020, many industries have transitioned to remote work, with some opting to continue this practice. However, a significant concern arises: how can employers ensure productivity while employees work from home? The solution is straightforward—a robust employee monitoring system.
This level of trust can only be provided by a professional software like the Kernel Employee Desktop Live Viewer which monitors all work-from-home employees and records their activities which can be viewed in real-time or later. It is well capable to even monitor employee Skype chat conversations and many more activities. These are certain features that make it an ideal tool during these times-
- The monitoring of all the employees’ screens is done irrespective of their geographical locations.
- It is wholly hidden from the eyes of the employees. Hence, no interruption to their ongoing work.
- All the screens of the systems are recorded live.
- Unlimited screens can be monitored at the same time.
- The software allows you to shut down and restart their systems in case of some emergency situations.
- The rights for viewership can also be delegated to others.
Productivity is crucial for the seamless operation of any organization, but various external factors often pose challenges in the workplace. These factors encompass smartphones, excessive browsing, distractions from colleagues, improper work prioritization, frequent breaks, cramped workspaces, superfluous meetings, technical issues, disorganization, and an absence of work-life balance. This article has extensively discussed these challenges and offered strategies to overcome them. To enhance productivity, consider employing professional tools like Kernel Employee Desktop Live Viewer, especially during work-from-home periods.